How to stop chewing walls and doors

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by NickyG, Feb 20, 2017.

1. NickyG

NickyG PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I'm currently fostering a lovely pair of chinchillas, they've been with me a few weeks now and are gradually gaining confidence and whenever I let them out of their cage for a run now, they chew corners of walls and doors. I'm not bothered about the damage but I'm worried that they're going to end up swallowing paint or something else that'll do them no good. Is there any way to stop this, short of barricading the whole of the room?

Thanks
    Nicky

2. pepsii77

pepsii77 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have 6 of them and my living room is prepared for time out, i use card board to protect tv or wall. also they have lots of boxes and hiding places so they can destroy it, lots of logs to chew.

3. Cartowheel

Cartowheel PetForums Newbie

My fiancée has suggested making a fence out of popsicle sticks around the perimeter of the room, and I plan on making my chin a cardboard 'castle' to encourage chewing on that instead of the furniture and walls.

kimthecat likes this.
  4. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa PetForums Junior

You won't stop them, they just chew everything they can get their teeth into. Mine chewed the dining room table and chairs, the bookcase, the hoover casing, the TV table, a corner of the carpet, a rug, the magazine rack, parts of a cabinet, the staircase, my shoes and various odds and ends when she was loose in the house. She didn't eat anything just wrecked it. Everything's now been replaced with new stuff and she's not allowed loose indoors anymore as I don't want her spoiling those as well. Their really destructive!