how to find out if my dog is kc registerd

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mattygraves, Jul 24, 2011.

1. mattygraves

mattygraves PetForums Newbie

i have just got a 4 year old rotti but all i recived was some pedigree papers which dnt look real i av asked the previous owner nd she assures me they are and that she only recived pedigree papers wen she got him as a pup . can sum1 plz help as i have come to a dead end nd dont no wat else to do
    :confused:

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

One member who may be able to help is Ceearott on here, she's currently offline though, I'll send her a private message so when she next logs on she may be able to help:)

3. mattygraves

ty will she message me bk

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

she'll probably reply to this thread when she sees it

5. mattygraves

ok thank u wen is she usally on ?:smile5:

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

A dog can be pedigree without necessarily being KC registered. Pedigrees can either be done via computer and printed out, or older style ones were handwritten by the breeder on a blank pedigree form, some may even still do it that way. With KC registration both parents have to be kennel club registered, normal format is the breeder, KC registers the litter and then the new owner, gets the Kc registration form the breeder signs the back and the new owner can then send the form off to the KC once he/she has filled it in and signed it too with the fee, and the KC then send back a resitration certificate in the new owners name. So the dog is now transfered from breeders name to new owner.

The original breeder may not have KC registered the pups for one reason or another or couldnt if one or both were not registered themselves.

If you have an original pedigree it should have on there the original breeders name and address, and they should have also signed it. What are your dogs and the parents Pedigree names? most good breeders have an affix, so you can track them down that way
    or have a good chance of tracking them down.

#6 Sled dog hotel, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. mattygraves

ty i have a pedigree form and it is hand written nd yes the breeders name nd adress is on there nd yes he has sighned it my dogs name is max he is a rotti nd his parents are called tyson(sire) kennans shadow(dam)

the papers also have his grandparents nd great grand parents

sorry wat u mean affix:smile5:

8. Sled dog hotel

Affix is a kennel name as such so if you were a breeder you might choose your kennel name as mattygraves, any pups you bred would thefore be mattygraves
    followed by the individual names you chose for the pups. example mattygraves
    shadow. You have to apply for an affix from the kennel club, then that affix becomes your alone, Tyson obviously doesnt seem to have a breeders affix. In all honesty there are so many rotties probably called tyson, and as a KC registered dog they cant have a duplicated name I believe within the same breed
    I doubt if your boys dad is KC registered. With the mum Kennans shadow, I thought Kennans may be an affix, but a quick google didnt turn up a Kennans kennel although I could be wrong on that one. Champions in the breed are usually marked on the pedigrees in red as far as I can remember. Only thing you can do if everyone on here cant advise further is to contact the original breeder and ask if KC registered, but in all honesty doesnt sound if they are.
    It could well be just someone with a female Rottie who is pedigree never been registered herself, and they decided to have a litter from their pet, and used a stud dog owned by someone else, or they may have owned both the dog and bitch.

9. Sled dog hotel

Just noticed you said pedigree has grand parents and great grand parents,
    usually most pedigrees go back 5 generations

10. mattygraves

ty that is a great help i have just ad another look at the pedigree papers an noticed that 4 ov the grandparents and great grand parents have sum sort of refrance number does this mean any thing is humber moonlight shadow an affix

11. mattygraves

i only have parents grand parents and great grand parents on my paper

12. Onthe pedigree the will be an 'affix' (kennel name) you canstart by searching this, Dunno it Rotti breed club keep a database

13. mattygraves

well i dnt no wer to start tthen and yh i am worthy of such devotion i just dont understad y ive only got bits ov the papers it doesnt really matter to me if he is a pedigree but id like to no my dogs back ground

14. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

The first dog mentioned on the pedigree should be the dog that you now own, then the next two the parents and so on.

Unless its a home made pedigree that hasnt included the dog? You could always tell us the sire and dams KC name, and we can see if we can find out - or you could contact the KC direct.

15. mattygraves

my dogs name is on the top then it goes parents and so on underneath:confused:

16. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Just a pet name? of a full name, could you tell us what it says?

17. mattygraves

the sire name is tyson and the dam keenans shadow i hace sum srt of ref numbers on the grand parents

18. Sled dog hotel

Its a possibility, not all kc registered dogs though are bred from breeders who have an affix, you can also just register the pups using a unique individual name for each pup in the litter as long as its not been used for that breed before. breeders who show tend to have a affix and register by the affix followed by the pups individual name they have chosen for that pup. People within the breed then know thats one of "their" pups.

No sure what the number would be could be a registration number I suppose Humber could be an affix. Not familiar with rottweiler registered names as you can see its not my breed. The person mentioned would be your best bet whos not on line at the moment they know rotweillers its their breed and likely may be able to recognise affixes straight away if they are well known.

19. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

That sounds odd to me a pedigree wouldnt state pet names, such as Tyson. - for the pup to be KC registered both parents would have to be registered, so both would have KC names.

20. mattygraves

my dog is max and his great grandparent sire is maxamillian black shadow so i really am confused nw