how long do rabbits live

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by monolin21, Oct 10, 2008.

1. monolin21

monolin21 PetForums Newbie

can anyone tell me how long rabbits live , mine is ten years he is a lop ear and not small bigger than he should be my pet shop claims they live till only eight, anyone had a pensioner rabbit ,i adore him but i think people should no a rabbit can live a long time they are little people with big ears

2. ColeosMummy

ColeosMummy PetForums VIP

all of mine lived about 5 years x

3. Mine lived till 4 and a half. She died last week <3 Miss her loads still :(

I got told they live 5-6 years...? 10 is brilliant! Hope he has many more happy bunny years to come :)

4. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Ive got a senior bun, hes 8 and still going strong:) 10 is a good age , you must be looking after him well:)

5. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

it more an average but it really depends on genes health how you look after him and really the most inportant him as an indervigale my sister hamster just died and they say they live for about 2 ,2 half hers were 4 or 5

6. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Rabbits can live to 10, my old dutch lottie lived til she was 9 1/2 her sister lived til she was 8 1\2, depends how you look after them and how many health problems they come across just like humans. You've obviously loked after your bun very well :)

7. monolin21

monolin21 PetForums Newbie

thanks for your replys glad to no some people treat their little people well i do spoil mine and like to give him as much freedom as he would in the wild as a i cannot bear a rabbit stuck in a cage for the rest of their lives he is a old man now but looks as fresh as paint

8. Kay2008

Kay2008 Guest

I have had quite a few rabbits. Some lived to about 5, some less. But an Albino rabbit I had (he was a big boy) he lived to 9 years old.

9. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

My last black lop lived till he was ten years, and his sister lived till she was 9

10. noushka05

noushka05 Leftie Extremist/Eco-Warrior

Bandit lived to be 8 & our other two Nelson & Acer were both 9

11. emmar

emmar PetForums Senior

my 2 lived to be 8 and 9

12. WhiteNile

WhiteNile PetForums Member

Mine lived to be nine years old, but he had lots of freedom in our fenced off back garden as well as getting to roam the house a lot of the time...he only used a hutch, which was actually a chicken coop, to sleep in at night. He died a couple of months after we moved into our new home, as he could no-longer have free-roam of the back garden because it wasn't fenced off properly, and he couldn't come indoors because there was just piles of boxes everywhere. He spent his last few months in a rabbit hutch and run, which I think just depressed the poor little guy. :( :(

13. noushka05

noushka05 Leftie Extremist/Eco-Warrior

my rabbits had lots of freedom i wonder if this why some rabbits have long lives?

14. Toby

Toby PetForums Newbie

15. shanba

shanba PetForums Junior

my harlequin rabbit delilah (the soppiest rabbit on the planet)unfortunatly passed away at the age of 8 on the 17th may :(i was soo upset but i know she had a long and happy life:eek:

16. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

one of mine died three days ago, we had her 7 and a half years but she was 12-18 months when we had her. She was a stoppy little girl and enjoyed fighting with our dogs. they would be lyign down minding their own business (usually asleep) and she would come over snorting and give them a bat on the nose. was very cute. nearly lost her to the common cold last year and im anazed but thankfull that we had another summer with her, unfortunally her toy boy is only a year old so he needs another friend now. all our bunnies in the past have lived 7-9 years.

17. olpoll

olpoll PetForums Newbie

my small lop panda lived untill she was 12 and my freinds from the same litter lived untill she was 14.

18. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Thats impossible!! _http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/06/by_kate_augusto.html__

19. ginky

ginky PetForums Junior

I had an OAP bunny, he sadly passed away in May at the ripe ol age of 9...he had an absess from his dodgy teeth other than that was in perfect health.

20. Not a clue - havn't had a bunny for over 40 years - but someone just posted that they had just lost hteirs aged nine. NOW - once again - I seem to remember being told the is a danger age - and if they live over that they can go one for year - can anyone confirm this for me - just out of interest,.
    regards
    Sue
    xxx