How do you talk to your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IndysMamma, Apr 30, 2012.

1. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Something I just wondered about after reading Malmum's thread about training Flyn

I get all high pitched and excited-y with Biggles and Charlie on walks regularly when I want their attention

It's something the trainer at the class I went to with Biggles encouraged and I was always encouraged to by my Granddad when growing up

If I want their attention but not necessarily come to me - just change direction/away from something I'll go "Yip Yip Yip - A-doggies - this-a way!" really high - excited

As I'm training Biggles to walk nice on the lead we walk around the village with me going "Awh who's a clever boy yes you are, so nice and good, are you listening I like it when you listen, if you stay good we'll get sausages - lovely lovely sausages for my puppy-dog, yes we will!"

and other such nonsense... anything to keep focus on me :p

rest of the time they get spoken to pretty normally though :p

so how do you talk to yours?

2. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Haha me and the boys have full on conversations as they are very often my only company, Harv has learnt to talk back in his own way :rolleyes:

3. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I usually just talk normally to them, which I think some people find strange because 'they can't understand you', but it works for us.
    :D

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I talk to him as I would a person if I'm just 'chatting' at home :eek:.

If I'm asking for a 'sit', 'down', 'wait' etc I say it fairly sternly like I 'mean it' and with an emphasis on the end letter - seems to work.

'Good boy' is said with a smile and in a happy tone but gently or Kilo has a tendency to get too excited and be silly.

On a walk I have 'this way' said in a high - pitched enthusiastic way, and 'Kilo, here' said in a sing - song enthusiastic way or the whistle which is better at 'cutting through' to get him to respond when he's sniffing etc.

I also have 'Don't you DARE' :yikes: said quietly but with plenty of meaning which is used infrequently!

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Depends on why I'm talking to him to be honest. If I'm messing around with him I generally go "Spenny Benny Boo" in a sort of sing song voice. If I want his attention it's usually a fairly cheerful "Spen" or "Spencer". If I'm just talking at him for the sake of talking I tend to use my normal voice.

He also gets "oh where's my puppy dog?" and "who's my spenny benny?" and other silly things too :eek: Hell, I even sing to him!

6. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

:lol:Me and my oh sing to Sherlock all the time! He's got a whole repertoire of songs about him:eek: He LOVES it when we sing - he jumps on us and tries to lick our faces with his bum wiggling like mad.

When I'm not singing I tend to talk to him in a normal tone, unless I'm trying to get him to focus on me and then it's a high pitched, excited, baby talk kind of thing.

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who sings to my dog :lol: Spencer doesn't have his own song yet but Ruperts was Runaway by Del Shannon, he used to go nuts if you sang it to him.

8. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

I hate baby-talk, so I never talk like that. I give all the commands with a natural voice, without excitement or loudly. But I don't use commands very often, even if he knows a lot. For example I prefer to wait for him to calm down and sit instead of giving a command.
    I talk with excitement only when we run and he is tired, this way I can make him move.

Sometimes I talk with him at home (on the street people would think I'm a lunatic) about all sort of things :eek:

9. Strawberryearth

Strawberryearth PetForums VIP

I sing to Betty a lot, her fav is Brown Eyed Girl- she particularly likes the Shalalala bit!

When we're on walks I will chatter away to her, telling her what a good girl she is etc because she isn't very good at walks (stops a lot) and needs some encouragement.

When we play at home I say "Oooooh Noooooo" a lot, especially when she is on her back with her legs in the air. When I tickle her tummy I say things lile "mummy's winning, oh no, mummy's going to win" That sounds bonkers now I type it publicly but when we're playing it seems to fit! It makes her happy- there is a marked difference in playtime when I talk to her and when I don't (if Im tired or something) she is more "waggy" and excited when I talk!

10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I use my normal voice but if I am on a field and I have to call them I will use a stronger voice for example 'this way' or 'leave it' that sort of thing.

11. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

I don't like using baby-talk but I speak to them like they're about 8yr old kids so softer than usual but not too high pitched.

12. MGarland

MGarland PetForums Member

Like I would anyone of my close friends :S

She is my little best mate!

13. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

I'm another one who chats to mine, as I spend most of time with it being just me and them. Imagine talking to a man, whos abit dim :rolleyes:
    When I'm out walking with them its lots of whop whopping and ay ay ay in load silly voice :D Just so they know where I'm at more than anything

14. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

When we're lead walking I have to be calm because Molly can go silly.
    Off lead is usually really upbeat, instead of 'leave it' like normal people I tend to say'dont even think about it madam':p
    I sing to them in the house,I think someone posted it on here? But you sing and dance then freeze, and they have to stop when you do. The girls love it:eek:

15. Dotte

Dotte PetForums Senior

I have normal converstaions with Bryson at home when I putter around, but when I lift him up for cuddles (only way I'll get them :rolleyes:) it's more of a baby talk voice "ah who's mammys little angel, ah mammy loves you, I do! I do! I looooove u, give kisses to mammy" :p

When he needs to be told no or leave it, it's a lot sterner and strict, he needs firm voice control to listen :eek:

My bf does this stupid high pitched "Bryyyyysooooooon" to get him to come, I wet my self laughing every time (I wistle at home to get hom to come) and he also wrestles with him and then he's all baby talk "give me that belly, I see your belly, give me that belly", it's very sweet :D

16. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I mostly talk to mine like a complete @rse and I wouldn't have it any other way. When I plant stuff and Flynn pulls it up for some mad reason it amuses me, I tell him he's a bad boy but this lot just make me laugh when they misbehave. Have to say though that not one of the other's, even lil Teebs would pull up my plants. Don't you think they know a smile is a good thing? I try not to smile if they are naughty, except behind their backs. I would probably make a rotten grandma if the dogs are anything to go by and my kids would hate me for it, lol.

I can honestly say as I've got older I've got dafter with the dogs, they all crowd round me and they all love it when I dance cos they do too and the Mals get so noisy. Bless 'em they're sooo happy when you do silly things with them, things I wouldn't dream of doing to amuse people, lol - but then dogs don't judge do they?

They are not bad so I don't talk harshly to them in fact if they are very bad - like when Flynn took a lantern off of the fence - I had to be oh so friendly, he was carrying around a thin glass cylinder in his mouth - to this day I don't know how he didn't break it! :eek: He brought it over and was so proud of it, silly gorgeous little boy. :)

17. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Id say its very like we have a toddler, Stern when we need to be but mostly daft and silly. I too am guilty of singing to him, and making daft dittys up for him :lol:
    I have convinced myself he knows exactly what im saying to him :eek:

18. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Biggles' song

"A Biggle-dy Biggle-dy Dee
    A Puppy I can see!
    A Biggedy Biggedy Boo
    What will I do with you?!"

Charlie's

"Charlie Farley
    I think your fine
    Charlie Barley
    I'm glad you're mine!"

I think I need professional help :p

19. WhippetyAmey

WhippetyAmey PetForums VIP

I talk to Merlin very high pitched when making a fuss or wanting him to come.

When we train I use a fairly jolly but stern voice...

But I also go 'and would you mind sitting for me?'

'How about a little lay down for me' :p then I say it properly!

I also do a lot of 'Ohh Merlin what shall I ___(Cook/Eat/Do/Watch) etc!

20. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

I work from home so Freddie and frank are around me constantly. I too speak to them as I would another human.

" oh boys what shall mommy do for tea"

"got some work to do first then I'll take you out"

"mommy loves her babies"

I swear if anyone could hear me they'd lock me up.

I'm firm when I need to and on a walk off lead they know what I mean with things like "this way" and "go on in" if we see some nice water and "nooooo" if we see ducks on the canal !!!

My son is worse than me sometimes.obviously when his mates can't hear him.!:thumbsup: