How do you talk to your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IndysMamma, Apr 30, 2012.

1. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Something I just wondered about after reading Malmum's thread about training Flyn

I get all high pitched and excited-y with Biggles and Charlie on walks regularly when I want their attention

It's something the trainer at the class I went to with Biggles encouraged and I was always encouraged to by my Granddad when growing up

If I want their attention but not necessarily come to me - just change direction/away from something I'll go "Yip Yip Yip - A-doggies - this-a way!" really high - excited

As I'm training Biggles to walk nice on the lead we walk around the village with me going "Awh who's a clever boy yes you are, so nice and good, are you listening I like it when you listen, if you stay good we'll get sausages - lovely lovely sausages for my puppy-dog, yes we will!"

and other such nonsense... anything to keep focus on me :p

rest of the time they get spoken to pretty normally though :p

so how do you talk to yours?

2. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Haha me and the boys have full on conversations as they are very often my only company, Harv has learnt to talk back in his own way :rolleyes:

3. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I usually just talk normally to them, which I think some people find strange because 'they can't understand you', but it works for us.
    :D

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I talk to him as I would a person if I'm just 'chatting' at home :eek:.

If I'm asking for a 'sit', 'down', 'wait' etc I say it fairly sternly like I 'mean it' and with an emphasis on the end letter - seems to work.

'Good boy' is said with a smile and in a happy tone but gently or Kilo has a tendency to get too excited and be silly.

On a walk I have 'this way' said in a high - pitched enthusiastic way, and 'Kilo, here' said in a sing - song enthusiastic way or the whistle which is better at 'cutting through' to get him to respond when he's sniffing etc.

I also have 'Don't you DARE' :yikes: said quietly but with plenty of meaning which is used infrequently!

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Depends on why I'm talking to him to be honest. If I'm messing around with him I generally go "Spenny Benny Boo" in a sort of sing song voice. If I want his attention it's usually a fairly cheerful "Spen" or "Spencer". If I'm just talking at him for the sake of talking I tend to use my normal voice.

He also gets "oh where's my puppy dog?" and "who's my spenny benny?" and other silly things too :eek: Hell, I even sing to him!

6. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

:lol:Me and my oh sing to Sherlock all the time! He's got a whole repertoire of songs about him:eek: He LOVES it when we sing - he jumps on us and tries to lick our faces with his bum wiggling like mad.

When I'm not singing I tend to talk to him in a normal tone, unless I'm trying to get him to focus on me and then it's a high pitched, excited, baby talk kind of thing.

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who sings to my dog :lol: Spencer doesn't have his own song yet but Ruperts was Runaway by Del Shannon, he used to go nuts if you sang it to him.

8. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

I hate baby-talk, so I never talk like that. I give all the commands with a natural voice, without excitement or loudly. But I don't use commands very often, even if he knows a lot. For example I prefer to wait for him to calm down and sit instead of giving a command.
    I talk with excitement only when we run and he is tired, this way I can make him move.

Sometimes I talk with him at home (on the street people would think I'm a lunatic) about all sort of things :eek:

9. Strawberryearth

Strawberryearth PetForums VIP

I sing to Betty a lot, her fav is Brown Eyed Girl- she particularly likes the Shalalala bit!

When we're on walks I will chatter away to her, telling her what a good girl she is etc because she isn't very good at walks (stops a lot) and needs some encouragement.

When we play at home I say "Oooooh Noooooo" a lot, especially when she is on her back with her legs in the air. When I tickle her tummy I say things lile "mummy's winning, oh no, mummy's going to win" That sounds bonkers now I type it publicly but when we're playing it seems to fit! It makes her happy- there is a marked difference in playtime when I talk to her and when I don't (if Im tired or something) she is more "waggy" and excited when I talk!

10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I use my normal voice but if I am on a field and I have to call them I will use a stronger voice for example 'this way' or 'leave it' that sort of thing.