How do you calm your dog during thunder?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Megan345, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

Maisy had her first experience of thunder tonight and she hates it. She was barking continuously and wouldn't shut up, so I distracted her by playing with her with her ring, and that was ok until the thunder started again. So I turned the fan on (for the noise), put peanut butter and some dog food in her kong, the change is miraculous! Even when the thunder rolls she just ignores it!

How does everyone else do it? Unless you have a dog who is an angel :D

Oh... I spoke too soon. She's now trying to bark and eat at the same time :rolleyes:

2. RockRomantic

RockRomantic PetForums VIP

Max tries to bark at the thunder

George isn't bothered

Buster and Sammy turn into wrecks i end up with one trying to hide behind me and one on my knee :rolleyes:

3. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

Poor things! Maisy was running round the house looking for whatever made the noise, she was most put out when there was nothing there! :)

4. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Breeze is very noise sensitive and is petrified of thunder - we use Adaptil and a Thundershirt when we first hear a rumble. She will still fret a little with these aids but will settle, without them she shakes, pants, cries and tries to hide (or climbs onto our laps).

Can highly recommend Adaptil, it's really been working for Breeze.

Scooter is a tough guy and couldn't care less :rolleyes:

5. Ray Craig

Ray Craig PetForums Junior

I don't know your dog at all and so I couldn't give you advice at all.

I do possess a nervous dog and what worked for me was a very low key response. Sort of 'Whats the problem? We have the washing machine, the hoover etc' nothing to see here;...no extra fuss. Although I did start doing a little washing up or loading the machine...a bit of action but unconnected with her

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I use thundershirts and they work a treat. Marty is scared of the MOD's guns and Flynn is scared of thunder and fireworks. I have had amazing success with the thundershirts, Flynn has even laid by the patio doors with fireworks going off when he's had his on.

Money well spent! :)

7. househens

househens Guest

When I had 9 dogs indoors, I had 2 that really freaked, and 2 unsure. They would all end up surrounding my bed. 2 would crawl under the blankets, tho' very obedient, and normally horrified at such presumption.

One thing that cheered everyone up, was me starting a singalong. I would start singing REALLY loudly. They especially like it when I go for high notes, and don't make it. Very quickly, Molly would join in, then Harriet, (anything Molly did, she had to do), quickly, everyone joined in, even the greyhound and another shyer dog, who always had a few false starts, and looked a little embarrassed. So I sang LOUD, the dogs howled , and soon, they were loving it, and really letting go. After a while, I would stop, and say, Thank You... Thank you... Some wouldn't notice at first, but it would fade out fast, and everyone would look at each other, and clearly felt they'd sounded marvellous. Of course, I have no close neighbours... on acreage...

I SO wish I could have taped it.

#7 househens, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  8. Travis108

Travis108 PetForums Newbie

please excuse me for my ignorance, but could someone tell me what Thundershirts are? thanks:)

9. househens

househens Guest

Best to google and see them. They are like dog coats but go around the dog, they are put on so they are like a huge, body encompassing hug, and it seems to work, like baby binding.

#9 househens, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Sadie - used to cower under tables, over the years she's gotten better and just shakes a little now. We just go back to bed... I love laying in bed when there's a storm.

Benjie - barks a little but not because he's scared :rolleyes5: (he barks at everything)

Jack - not bothered.

Louie - not bothered.

Pennie - looks about but settles.

11. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I have been really lucky, none of my 6 dogs have ever been bothered by thunder.

12. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Im very lucky none of mine are bothered by it.

13. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

Mine don't bother, in fact when we have a storm I'll stand out in it watching it and they come out with me.
    Did have a dog who was scared and we just let him do what he wanted, usually come and sit with us or hide,

Which is why I try and make it all seem cool and like good fun, helps that I had to make it not frightening for the kids too :)

14. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

I was just picturing my neighbours with pillows over their heads at 2am!

I might have to have a look at getting a Thundershirt then, looks like a nice simple idea.