How do you become a dog walker?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by holly1, Feb 15, 2011.

1. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

I mean as a job,not as a pet owner?:)
    Do you need any qualifications?
    Is it cash in hand,or does it need to be classed as self employed?

2. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I think it is a really rewarding profession and what better as a dog lover, but how do they manage to walk their own dog and then a number of dogs throughout the day for possibly an hour each!! Must be the fittest people on the planet! :thumbup:

#2 Jackie99, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  3. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

My dogs are little,so I could walk them first,then start with the others! Ive got a triple lead,which would do for little dogs,but anything bigger,would need to have one lead per dog!

4. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

You would need to register as self employed unless you want to risk the long arm of the law, it is not difficult to do but would mean paying national insurance at a flat rate per week and then depending on income a percentage at the end of the year if earnings high enough as well as tax too if profit over a certain level.

You would be a sole trader and would need to keep simple business accounts showing income and expenses, but you can offset the cost of getting to clients and equipment needed and the liability insurance you really ought to get, etc to reduce the income.

You can advertise and see what business you get because you are allowed I think it is 3 months from when you start earning to register your self as self employed.

Cash in hand you are at risk of being reported even if the amount you earn is below the level to pay tax on, so i would say better safe than sorry.

5. beltabout

beltabout PetForums Junior

Get insurance, get a van some cages a sturdy pair of shoes plenty of poo bags and get out there.

You need to be careful with numbers as many local authorities are now restricting the number of dogs that can be walked at one time.

Don't limit your self to walking, vet taxi services are always in demand as are other pet feeders.

If you get yourself a police check (CRB) so that you can show this to people who may want to give you access to their homes.

Go for it

nick

6. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

I Found this for you Jobs avaible all over the Country It may give you some Idea's........

Dog Walking Jobs, Dog Sitting and Daycare Jobs UK

7. golfchick

golfchick PetForums Senior

i think a crb helps, if someone is expected to give you the keys for their house they want certain reassurances that you're not gonna nick everything or tell someone else to go round and nick everything! You could offer puppy visits as well as some people have a young puppy but wouldnt trust you to impart wisdom upon little ones.

8. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

So have dog walkers/sitters etc on here found it has an okay annual income? Is it possible to do okay in this profession without having a car or is this a must.

9. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

Ive got crb,s with work...which is in the care profession.
    I can get a reference from a Doctor I used to clean for.I did it when no one was home,had my own key ect..
    Thanks for the link:D