helping new rescue dog settle in

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hippymama, Jul 18, 2013.

1. hippymama

hippymama PetForums Senior

so we should be getting our rescue crestie boy on the 28th :D :eek: :001_wub: , never had a rescue before and never had more than one dog ... our dog generally is freindly with most dogs but we are planning on introducing them outside the house and possibly taking them a little walk together first??
    then im thinking set up a seperate area for new dog to sleep ? and feed seperatly to start with ?
    any one got any tips on introducing a new dog into the family?

2. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Aww well done!I usually take them for a walk like you are intending then make more of the resident dog when we get home theres usually alot of rushing about and growls but thats normal,I have never had seperate sleeping area and have brought 6 in over as many months,my sheltie did sulk for a few days when a newbie arrived but soon got over it,I would say just keep calm,bet they will be the best of mates in no time.good Luck xxx

3. rona

rona Alfie's Slave

Well done for rescuing. :thumbsup:

Are you getting him from CC rescue?

4. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

The home check went well then? :D

No advice but congratulations and charge your camera up. Remember we're expecting lots of pics!

5. hippymama

rona yes he's from chinese crested rescue :)

thanks mulish , yeah home check went well , will try and get lots of pics :p

there is a pic of him on the website if you scroll down his name is buddy he is a hairy hairless and he is 9 months old :)
    available dogs

6. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

He's lovely! do you know why he is being rehomed?

7. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

He's very cute. Will you be keeping the name (and the green hair band)?

I scrolled to the end and Lacey is just :001_wub:

8. hippymama

no i dont know , the lady who he's with said she cant understand why he's in rescue because he's so lovely , apparently he's been passed around a few times before he came into rescue :(

9. hippymama

not sure whether we will be keeping the name tbh , i know lots of dogs called buddy :eek:

trying to think of something that sounds simlialr , i like the name loki , or floki

10. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

Buddy is just gorgeous xx well done for rescuing :) we are gona think about getting a dog from rescue but as we have a wee girl who has just turned 3 and not sure what rescue centres would think about that?

On the name thingy Rudi (Roody) is nice.

Gill
    x

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Although normal procedure would be to take the dogs for a walk together first, we advise against that with Chinese Cresteds.
    They can be shy, escape artists with a tendancy to bolt.
    It is best to let the dog get used to you before taking it for a walk

Although Buddy is an extremely solid dog. I would still err on the side of caution and perhaps introduce them in the front or back garden.
    Chinese Cresteds are a very breed centric breed and love their own kind.
    We rarely get the chance for the home dogs to meet the incoming fosters on neutral ground and most have to just be bought straight into the home. I usually just try and keep it as calm as possible. In the garden preferably, nothing forced, just let them mingle.

Everything else you said is totally right, feed them separate etc, just give them time.
    My Mantra is
    'Good things happen when xxxx is around.'
    No one feels left out, they feel equally appreciated and that good things happen,. eg treats and fuss when the other dog is nearby

12. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Hippymama has youngsters and we recently rehomed to someone with an 18 month old as well

Everything we do is based around the individual dog, we match the dog to the owner or the owner to the dog. One of our ladies has been on the books for about a year waiting for a disabled friendly dog, happily we have found her match and she will be getting her later this month. To date this method of rehoming has worked extremely well for us.

13. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

what she said ^^ I am no longer needed :ciappa:

14. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

Thanks very much :) there is hope for us :) im sooo excited its taken me a while to talk oh round but im starting my own dog walking business and i think he knows that walking the dog wont be under his remit lol he just doesnt like the picking up poop bit lol he never did dirty nappies either!! :D

15. hippymama

we have a 3 year old daughter and a 4 year old son , its just about waiting for the right dog :)

16. hippymama

thank you we will introduce them in the front garden i think then and then perhaps let them run around in the garden so they can get to know each other and have a play :)

when the home checker come round she brought her dog and after a quick sniff at the front of the house they played in the garden for about half an hour :p scruffy loved meeting another crestie

very excited :D

17. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

thanks very much :) x