Help...

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Maxine67, Jun 12, 2017.

1. reecesanford

reecesanford PetForums Junior

I'm not a million miles from you between Sale and Northenden and i run http://www.dogs4walks.co.uk

When i first looked at your website i thought it was just a picture of trees with your business name on. Its also very difficult to see the text at the top right of the page which is partly lost due to the follow box that keeps popping up.

Take a look at as many other peoples websites as possible and get some ideas. To me when i see a website i want it to be clear and easy to find what im looking for. So if i need prices or info about you its there at a click of a button.

Good luck. I pop over to Stockport way for shopping every now and then. May see your vehicle around some day.

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

Do you know what, I think it's only You and I that put our address on the website. What are others hiding????? That's what potential clients will think.

Just think you should show prices on your home page as well, if you do I apologise as I'm on a mobile so may differ.

reecesanford likes this.
  3. reecesanford

reecesanford PetForums Junior

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't put their address on. Unless they are concerned it shows they are in a job where they are out and about for alot of the day.
    I think maybe i need to make my prices stand out more so maybe on the homepage is a good place to do this.
    The only reason I wasn't sure about it is if i am on a mobile which i think most people are i get bored of scrolling down too much info on 1 page to find what i need.

Dr Pepper likes this.
  4. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

What people need on the home page is area covered, services offered and prices. If they are happy with those three they'll look further into your website. What they don't need, and sooooo many walkers websites fail here, is paragraphs upon paragraphs of why you need a dog walker - your potential clients already know they need a walker, that's why they are on your site!!

reecesanford likes this.
  5. rona

rona Missing my boy

I don't put my address on any website or paperwork. I put the road and area I live and once they become a client I'd tell them if they ask, but most of my clients don't know where I live and why should they?

Maxine67 likes this.
  6. Ownedbymany

Ownedbymany PetForums Senior

I don't put my full address either.
    Clients can have it if needed or just want it for reassurance.

Nothing to hide - I just don't want people turning up on my doorstep at random, animals dumped there etc. I've heard of this (and worse) happening to several other sitters.

Maxine67 likes this.
  7. Wellsy

Wellsy PetForums Newbie

Hi a website is any any good if people know it is there. I would suggest joining a few face boot groups such as business groups and or pet groups etc etc there is bound to be many in your area. Also I still think adverts in shops work including pet shops. As has already been said leaflets do work but you need to probably start with10000. Personally I think try and stick to relevant shops, newsagents and Facebook groups.

Maxine67 likes this.
  8. Jelevents

Jelevents PetForums Junior

Hi there, to all of you that are struggling to find clients I would recommend joining Tailster, ok they take 15% commission from your booking but they rank highly on Google your money is guaranteed as they take payment from the clients at the end of the week then pay you the following Wednesday so no chasing payments.
    In the last month I have gained 2 x 5 days a week and 1 x 3 days a week clients through Tailster so I'm happy with the results, costs nothing to join and jobs are posted regularly. Might be worth a go for you guys needing more work.

9. rona

rona Missing my boy

In their advert they say "Tailster.com helps dog owners find trusted, local and insured dog walkers, boarders and sitters"

What checks did they do on you?

Maxine67 and Dr Pepper like this.
  10. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be happy giving (eeeew, off topic but just put my hand on a pile of bird poo :Vomit) away 15% of my profit. When you get fully booked I'd imagine you'd start resenting it. Seems like a short term gain for years of pain.

#30 Dr Pepper, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM
    rona and Maxine67 like this.
  11. PrettyPiaffe

PrettyPiaffe PetForums Junior

To register with tailster you have to fill out quite a lengthy questionnaire, provide proof of address, proof of insurance, security check (If you've had one) canine first aid (if you've done one) etc.

Tailster is alright, I've gotten a couple of jobs out of it, but as said above, 15% is actually quite a lot (considering dog walkers/ sitters don't earn a fortune as it is) and over time, I began to resent it.

rona and Dr Pepper like this.
  12. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

And, although our margins are high, you have to consider that 15% comes off your bottom line which raises it to probably 20% - 25%.

13. Maxine67

Maxine67 PetForums Member

[t: 1064894954for ember: 1291961"]take n't put my address on any workite or paperwork. I put the road and area I live and once they become a client I'd tell them if they ask, but most oft ! !my clients don't know where I live and why should they?[/QUOTE]
    I h
    Having worked for a franchise who take 40% I agree - it gets you work but you really do resent the fact that your doing all the hard work and someone else is getting a chunk of your money !

Dr Pepper likes this.
  14. Ownedbymany

Ownedbymany PetForums Senior

Could you not raise your prices a bit for work coming through tailster to compensate? No idea how it actually works so that may not be an option.

15. Jelevents

Hi Rona there is an application form you need to fill in online, I found the whole process very simple, you don't need your own insurance or first aid training but as most of us do then if you include these and send a copy it improves your status and therefore you are more likely to win business.
    I know many will disagree but I'm quite happy to pay the 15% due to the fact they rank highly on Google and as my website is self built and I'm no web designer, to get my site on page 1 I would need to invest money for someone to improve my seo or spend ages trying to do it myself when I'd rather be out walking dogs. Also there are a lot of requests for boarding or ad-hoc walking so does not mean you will be stuck with the customer for years.
    So as Tailster has spent considerable time and money getting their website to the top of page 1 and collect the money for me and provide insurance cover (even though I have my own) and give owners some extra piece of mind, I'm happy to pay the 15%.
    Just remember any clients referred by Tailster must continue to book through their site and not come to you direct, but for the owners there is no benefit as I have not inflated my prices to cover the 15% whereas some do.

16. Jelevents

Well yes you could do that but I don't because if a client wanted to deal with you directly once introduced you would be subject to paying Tailster a release fee, so I keep my prices the same so there's no advantage to the client.

Ownedbymany likes this.