help with lurcher pups

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lurcherpetlover, Jan 3, 2017.

1. lurcherpetlover

lurcherpetlover PetForums Junior

hi there, I am new here and this is my first post, I don't really know who to turn to as I am a bit embarrassed about my situation. it may be quite confusing so il try to keep it simple.
    I have two lurcher puppies at 7 months old, they are siblings and we have had them since they were 8 weeks old. we put a deposit down on them when they were 5 weeks old and at 8 weeks old our financial situation went down hill, I lost my job and have a good sized family to look after so I tried to do the right thing and get my deposit back but the person selling the pups did not agree and said I could wait till they were 8 weeks and pay the rest or lose my deposit, so I waited and paid the rest and got my puppies.
    money being tight I could not get them vaccinated at 8 weeks and I had already borrowed money from family to pay off the rest of the money for the pups, I registered with a vet and they told me not to let the dogs outside until they are vaccinated, so I didn't let them out, 3 weeks later I was able to get them vaccinated and the vet then turns around and tells me that I should have let the pups out???? I was quite upset as training them to go toilet indoors was not successful and it had not been long that we moved into our new house and the house started to smell like a farm no matter how much I clean and scrub my floors!!! even though they go outside they play for ages as our garden is really big they will still come back in an wee and poo the second my back is turned. ive tried to ignore it and I have tried saying noooo but nothing is working, I can no longer have any friends and family round as I am to ashamed of the smell. I have done so much research and watched so many videos to last me a life time and I have considered giving them to a good home but I really don't want to. I love my puppies and cannot imagine my home without them. another thing is that they are constantly jumping up on surfaces, eating our food, chewing our kitchen cabinets and ripping my wallpaper that we have newly put up! and the latest thing.... we had a flood in our back garden which took up almost half of our garden which ment my pups only getting walkies, the flood is now sorted but its like we are back to square 1!!! please any advice that can be given is appreciated . thank you

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

How did you try and toilet train them initially?

And how much exercise/training/play/mental stimulation do they get on a daily basis?

Are they both male or female or one of each? How often do they spend time apart and get taken out for separate walks, training etc? When is the destructive behaviour occuring - when you leave the house?

At their age their adult teeth are still growing into their jaw and the urge to chew can be very strong - what outlets do they have for this in terms of things they can chew, toys, bones, chews etc?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. lurcherpetlover

thank you for your fast response
    initially, we stocked up on puppy training pads, and when that didn't work we tried newspaper which worked for one but not the other, so then we contacted the previous owner and he said that they lived in a barn with soft wood bedding which the pups used as a toilet, so we got that but they just played with it so instead we made 2 points in our living room one puppy pads as we had so many and one newspaper, we have a male and female, the male was doing really well with the newspaper but would sometimes do his business anywhere. everytime they would try an wee and poo I would instantly move them to their area as I was advised by a friend then we tried to eventually move the newspaper to the backdoor but that put our male pup off.
    now that I don't have a job they are with me 24/7, we let them out every hour outside they prefer to play with eachother, they do not play fetch or try to interact with me when they are outside but inside we have training they are both very good with commands and have now got to the point of responding to hand gestures without words, they get plenty of play with us, together and individually as there is a lot of jealousy from the girl. they like to play tug with me a lot. I take them out together for walks but recently my husband takes the girl and I take the boy around a field which takes us an hour and we meet at the starting point.
    the destructive behaviour has only started since the flooding other than jumping up on counters and yes it is only when I am not in, although our girl has tried ripping the wallpaper infront of me twice.
    my lurchers have no interest what so ever in toys, they have so many which have barely been touched, bones and chews they love but they get very possessive, not towards us but eachother which frightens me a bit.

4. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

With my rescue dogs that have had this issue, we would have a "toilet stone" (This could be a rock or even an upturned bucket, but wind will make a bucket move and may scare the pups). We would (1 dog at a time) put the lead on, and stand by the "toilet stone" without interacting at all with the dog. Wait as long as it takes until they pee or poop, and then treat and make a fuss quickly! It is not a quick fix, but it works!

5. lurcherpetlover

thank you for your reply
    I will give it a go, my neighbours might think I'm a bit loopy but if there is a chance it will work then I will give it a go

Bigdogswinmyheart likes this.
  6. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

My neighbours know I'm Loopy lol

LinznMilly and lurcherpetlover like this.
  7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The trouble with puppy pads and paper is that it teaches pup(s) you want them to toilet indoors. Now I know you were told not to take them out before their vaccinations were complete, but that only applies to walking on ground frequented by other (possibly infectious) dogs. So go back to basics, taking them out into the garden at frequent, regular intervals and praising them with a treat when they toilet outside - you'll find taking them out one at a time will keep them from being distracted by each other. When they are in the act of toileting, put a word to it so it forms an association - pretty soon you can use it to remind them what they're supposed to be doing. When in the house, keep them confined where you can watch them. Tying them to your belt is a help, but tricky with two of them!
    Clean up the house with an enzyme based product. A good pet shop will sell them. DON'T use bleach. The ammonia in it smells like the ammonia in pee, so it invites the dogs to pee over it with their own scent.
    Good luck. I have siblings too, a pair of sisters that I bred.

8. lurcherpetlover

i have tried your method a few times, my neighbours didn't think I was crazy but my pups did lol
    my girl just stared at me like why are we just standing here lol thank you though

with hard work it has all paid off, my boy now has stopped weeing and pooing altogether, even at night which came as a big surprise and he will hold it in until around 8am
    but I cannot say the same about my girl, she is weeing and pooping everywhere, she will go outside and do her business then come back in and do her business AGAIN! we are still working on it though.

thank you to everyone :)

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Is she weeing excessively? If so it might be a urinary tract infection.

lurcherpetlover likes this.
  10. lurcherpetlover

hi twiggy,
    nope, when she wees in the house it is only small a little bit bigger than a hand stretched out. sorry I don't really know how to describe the size.
    we have been on a recent visit to the vet as my boy has a poorly leg, I mentioned the problem to my vet and was advised to take her to obedience training.

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Right. Although I don't see how obedience training is going to cure this issue. When you take her outside to toilet do you have her on a lead? If not then I would do so as it will make her focus on the task in hand, Keep repeating "go wee-wees" and praise like a mad thing and give her a treat when she performs. I know it's flipping cold at the moment and not exactly fun standing outside waiting for a puppy to perform but......

12. lurcherpetlover

but.... it needs to be done!!! lol
    she is off lead in the garden, I have tried standing in one place as advised above, but no luck pup would just sit and wait to go in. and it is realllly cold but I stand outside with them anyway

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I would definitely try taking her out on the lead and on her own. Sorry as I know the weather is awful at the moment.

I've got a 5 month old collie pup who is suffering dreadfully from travel sickness. I'm taking her out in the car for little rides every day with the windows fairly wide open and the heating turned off. I then get her out and give her a little walk, put her back in the car and return home by which time I am usually frozen solid....LOL Oh the joys of puppies......

14. lurcherpetlover

ohhh!!! ive been through that lol, when I got my pups immunised and microchipped. they were sick each time!! and on me! the car would stink and the vet was about 45min drive away. I did the same as you, the vet advised us to take them for little drives each week and now they are used to it thank god lol

it is very cold apparently its going to snow, but all I saw was rain today.

Twiggy likes this.
  15. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Contrary to the stand in one place advice I'm going to say walk her around the garden, preferably at a brisk pace. Mine would just sit or stand there if I took him out and stood still. I find a brisk walk gets him going, especially for a poo! These days I just throw a ball for him and after a few throws he starts looking for a place to poop. He's learned to pee on cue so I don't have to worry about that so much but same applied, getting him moving got him to go far better than just standing and waiting did.

16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

This has been my experience too. Also both my dog and my puppy have to find the 'right spot' to go, so standing in one place doesn't encourage them to go.

17. lurcherpetlover

i agree my girl looked at me like I was crazy! but playing fetch don't work lol my pups don't bother with that unless its a furry toy that moves and squeeks. my boy does a wee as soon as I let them out then walks about before doing a poop so I defiantly see the logic. I guess il just have to stick with it and over time she will get it I hope!

Sarah1983 likes this.
  18. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Just to say that the opposite worked for mine - I threw the ball immediately after she poo-ed, and now she knows not to expect to see the ball until she has been. She does what I call a bronco pirouette to ask for the ball, but only if she has already poo-ed.

lurcherpetlover and Sarah1983 like this.
  19. lurcherpetlover

that is a really good way, I wish my pup would fetch lol

20. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Haha, depends on the dog I guess. I know running is guaranteed to get Spen to go and he won't ignore the need in order to play fetch so I throw the ball to get him to go. For my collie I couldn't throw the ball until he'd been as he wouldn't go then because he was too busy playing fetch.

applecrumlin and lurcherpetlover like this.