Help pup isnt well

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by holyshihtzu, Feb 3, 2012.

1. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

hello its me

Today my little baby was confirmed to be underweight, he is a 7 month old shih tzu and is has now stopped eating and had an accident while asleep (pee) he has been on steroids for a few weeks and i am wondering if it could be them that is affecting him?
    needing some help in finding some food that will put weight on him, but to do it carefully. i dint want him to loose anymore weight and crash on me:eek:

last week he had a weird turn like a mild fit was sick and then hid behinde the curtain,
    this morning i took him to the vets they weighed him and were concerened, i get weird looks at me and the dog like i dont feed him, tonight when i took him for a walk he literally went from walking to lying flat on his side on the stone cold pavement, so i carried him home and he still isnt eating or drinking
    made him some boiled rice but will not touch it, he is on Royal Canine gastrointestinal wet food, this is upsetting for me to see him like this, he has all of a sudden gone down hill:scared:

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I would contact vet again ASAP, it sounds like he needs them to look at him again
    Hope hes better soon.xx

3. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Poor little guy :(
    I would keep him chilled out tonight, make sure he is drinking plenty and tomorrow take him back to the vets, with worrying symptoms like that i think you need professional medical advice ;) I do hope the little guy is ok

4. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Plain boiled rice is not interesting to a dog - it needs some fatty meat to be cooked with it to form a "congee", look up the word if you do not understand it.

You can make plain rice better by making it wet and gently cooking with a whole egg and a little butter or lard etc.

Is the dog taking water?

If not in this weather dogs can dehydrate easily, Winter air is very dry and this is exacerbated by any in home central heating. Press the gums to see if they remain pale or spring back to pink quickly?

24 hours without food is not a problem for most dogs.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If he is on steroids he will drink and pee more and have accidents, that is a side effect of steroids. You will need to ensure he has the opportunity of more toilet breaks in the garden, you may need to remind him to go out and get him to pee too as they can get caught short.

The steroids also as a side effect usually and increase appetite too, if it is not increasing his appetite then you need to inform the vet.

If he is not eating he will become weak, I would not walk him and let him rest and just take him out for toilet breaks in the garden. You need to make sure he is drinking too, he should be as said on steroids, but if his urine output exceeds him fluid intake then he is at risk of de-hydration which will make him weaker and lethargic still especially ontop of not eating.

That was likely why he collapsed on his walk, de-hydration maybe and low blood sugar from not eating. Trying to walk him especially for extended periods will just burn up what little energy he does have and weaken him further.

Just rice is no good, try chicken boiled or grilled no skin, or white fish boiled or grilled no skin and check for bones, its light easily digestible protein, you can even do him a little plain scrambled egg, Maybe try mixing a little plain boiled rie with the egg, chicken, or fish.

Ive just re read and seen you say he still isnt drinking if he isnt drinking or eating he will be in a state of collapse. He will need veterinary attention, in the form of a drip for fulids and glucose. You seem to be getting nowhere with these vets with either of your dogs. I can only repeat what I have said before, get a second opinion.

6. Angel pedigrees

Angel pedigrees PetForums Member

If he was mine i would have him in the vets now and be telling them to run tests, the only one who can work out why hes going down hill is the vets.

I agree Steroids make them drink a hell of a lot and sadly wee loads too, if your getting funny looks from strangers over his weight then something is seriously wrong and needs to be sorted ASAP.

I do hope hes better soon x

7. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

he is in the vet now being kept in for further tests and examination he went from 6.5kg to 5kg and dropping today, vets all concerned as you can see the spine, they are going to ring me tonight on the phone, he is having blood tests and liquid food formula if he isnt drinking still they are going to put him on a drip, he is being put in the same kennel as his companion.

so hopefully he tells me what it is soon am soo worried about my baby he was literally on his last legs :(

8. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Wow 25% drop in weight is significant to say the least.

Is there a health history with this dog ?

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

I am getting a little confused by your posts, to be honest. Do you have two sick dogs? It seems to me that you should find a different vet, as this one seems very incompetent.

If the dog/s are that ill, you really shouldn't be taking them out at all.

10. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

just got the phone call from the vet saying he is soo ill so prepare for the worst tonight, mum is very upset so is all the family so have to call back tomorrow

i hope he does make it

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

Did they say what was wrong with him?

12. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

something wrong with his bloodwork

13. Angel pedigrees

I must say i have to agree, i know its easy for me to say and dont like to upset people but this should have never got this far and treatment should have started a long time ago.

I pray your dogs make a full recovery but im also confused do you have 2 sick dogs in the vets ??

14. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Yes, both Toby and Coco are now extremely ill at the vets.

15. Angel pedigrees

Good God how heartbreaking, is it the same thing ??

16. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Last I heard, Coco was diagnosed with IBD and Toby with a stomach tumour. Found out another dog we walk with was diagnosed with Colitis recently...can't help but wonder if something awful is doing the rounds, or they've all picked something up from somewhere...but surely we'd have heard of more dogs in the area becoming ill...

17. Angel pedigrees

Yes i think more and more things are popping up, one of my dogs has just battled Meningitis over Xmas, was soul destroying to watch but fully recovered now :smile5:

18. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

It's really frightening to think you could lose them so suddenly to anything...that's why we've always taken Oscar to the vets if he's just so much as sneezed funny.

19. Angel pedigrees

I really do think your right, its safer to jump at a sniffle than leave it and have them fight for their lives.

I have battled Cancer with mine and my precious Ruby developed and Autoimmune disorder that nearly took her life, they are precious and need to be treat that way.

20. holyshihtzu

holyshihtzu Guest

yes both my dogs are ill in the vets. both with different things, is there something going round Our area do u think argent?

i am just so baffled at why coco has all of a sudden become ill and we did take him to the field. the vet tried his back legs from when I said he went from walking to lying down on his side on the cold pavement, but they just buckled from underneath him, so they took him straight from me as soon as I stepped in the vets.

I am going to have the phone next to me all night