Help!! I messed up..

Discussion in 'Tropical Aquarium Advice' started by littlepinkbetta, Mar 15, 2017.

1. littlepinkbetta

littlepinkbetta PetForums Newbie

I wanted to add a plant substrate to my tank. So I removed part of the gravel from the bottom where I want my plants to be and then wet my plant substrate which I believe is some type of soil, I then scooped some substrate up and started to lay it on the bottom and all of a sudden my whole tank is so extremely cloudy and muddy.. like so cloudy you can't even see my fish!

So I've turned my filter off as I assumed this would only make it worse by keeping the soil particles moving around? Probably a really bad idea but I really don't know what to do!

Can anyone tell me what to do? I know I've really messed up, I feel so stupid!!

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

There are different kinds of plant substrates, but from the sounds of it the one you have is meant to be used as a base layer and needs to be 'capped' with a layer of sand or gravel on top to prevent the clouding & muddiness you describe. I imagine you would need to empty the tank completely, then add the plant substrate and then cover it completely with a few cm of sand or gravel.

leashedForLife likes this.
  3. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

I'd keep the filter RUNNING - the fish need to breathe, the fine particles can be filtered out, & the coarse will slowly settle.
    Breathe, hun - it's scary, but hopefully will be OK in a few hours, altho some delicate fish may be ill or *might* die. All fingers X'd. :(

NaomiM likes this.
  4. littlepinkbetta

littlepinkbetta PetForums Newbie

I've done a water change that was around 60% which has helped out tons! The water is almost clear now which gave me a chance to 'cap' the substrate with gravel. For future reference how would I go about changing the substrate in a more efficient way? thanks so much for replying.

As I mentioned above to @magpie I done a water change which really helped., can't believe I was so stupid not to think that would happen! Deffo won't be doing that again :Facepalm so much unnecessary stress. Hopefully my fish will be ok though..

5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Glad the water change has helped! It depends on what kind of substrate you are changing to & from really. I've never used plant substrate before, but because of the way it muddies the water I would always take the fish out and empty the tank first before adding or trying to remove it.

If you're just swapping gravel to a different gravel or to sand then it's much easier as you don't need to move the fish. I have just recently swapped my gravel for black sand and I just scooped the gravel out, waited a day or two then did a water change to clear the bottom of the tank of any debris, and then just carefully placed the rinsed sand into the tank using a jug. Easy :)

6. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

The best way to keep plants in a fish tank is with bog wood, you tie the plants to the bogwood and they root to it. Or get moss balls, I love them they just sink and roll about :)

7. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

i think my favorites are "banana plants" -
    they have a bunch of green tubers that resemble bananas which are flotation devices, & leaves that remind me of water lilies.
    They don't flower - they DO produce O2, & were my Betta's supplementary oxygen-generators when we went from college to home [where he had another large bowl] or home back to college [& his dormitory bowl].
    He traveled in an empty quart milk-bottle [closed, so it wouldn't leak] & the banana plants. He was an excellent traveler. :)

Bigdogswinmyheart likes this.