Hello! - Doberman/Labrador cross.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dobermutt, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dobermutt

Dobermutt PetForums Member

Hello! I'm Claire - this is my dog Harley.

Harley is a 9 month old Doberman/Labrador cross. He currently weighs 65lbs, is 27 inch tts - and he's my best friend. I couldn't ask for anything more in a dog & he means the absolute world to me.

How I came to meet him & the initial confusion: It was confusing to say the least. We purchased him from a couple that had bought two puppies from a litter , deciding to sell one on due to not being able to cope. They told me he was Labrador/German Shepherd - which soon become apparent to be a lie, as he started to mature :frown2: When I questioned them, they became angry & refused to give me the ''breeders'' details. They gave me a number of false leads, even going so far as to set me up, trying to make it seem like they were telling the truth, by taking me to meet their cousins German Shepherd cross :mad: We did a blood test, I visited breed-specific forums, with no proper result, so I still wasn't satisfied, so I decided to do some net-surfing & since we'd always heard 'Dobe' from people, I clicked on the first Dobe/Labrador advert I saw & contacted the lady. She lived in the same area, 5 miles away from them. She sent my dad pictures of parents & puppies *post later*, and when we went to meet them, my puppy ran through the door with his tail wagging - never seen him so excited, and she confirmed everything with us. She even offered to pay back what I payed for him, but I declined. When I confronted the re-sellers, they told me they ''thought he looked like a German Shepherd'' so they decided to advertise them as such. :mad2: It was stressful, to say the least!

Note to self: only ever go to a reputable breeder in the future ;)

I'm planning to get a purebred Doberman female when Harley is two years old & neutered. I'm still trying to find a reputable breeder, so if anybody could give any names, that'd be great.

If anyone else has a Dobe cross, I'd love to see him/her (or Labrador cross), also like to hear if anybody else has had problems with re-sellers & parentage before?

I also have two cats! Freddie & Ollie :rolleyes: I love animals & hopefully I'm accepted into this forum, despite my ridiculously long introduction! ;)

Here are a few relatively recent pictures of him (excuse ridiculous file names :eek:)

Attached Files:

2. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

A very warm welcome to the forum, dear Claire.

Harley is a handsome fellow!

3. Dobermutt

Thank you! :D

4. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum! He is a cutie!

Sorry to hear the troubles you've had so far, but as you say just something to count as a learning experience for the future :)

Lots of great dobe breeders in the UK; you should come along to some dobe club shows, it would be a great opportunity to meet other owners, breeders ect and ask questions and make new friends in the breed. They offer an open door, so you're welcome to just turn up whenever there is an event on.

Here's a list of clubs:

The Dobermann Club uk

Your closest is probably the South East of England Dobermann Club (SEEDC) which is holding a championship show in March, details on the website below.

Home: | Seedc

All very friendly who would be more than happy to chat :)

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome

6. Dobermutt

Thank you! That sounds great - I'll definitely check that out! :)

7. Dobermutt

Thank you! :)