Hello and any advice to minimize shedding with labrador?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shaun027, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Shaun027

Shaun027 PetForums Newbie

Hi my name is Shaun and I've got a yellow Labrador called Alfie who's about 6 months old that I've had since he was 11 weeks he's a bit hyper but he's starting to settle down now.

The only problem I'm having is all the dog hairs, I have a furminator brush but no matter how much i brush him more hair just comes out so do you guys have any tips.

I saw online that the food they eat can sometimes make them shed more I've been feeding him Symply puppy since i got him is Symply any good or should i switch ?

Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

Didn't want to read and run I honestly know nothing about UK dog food, hopefully one of the other lab owners see's this and drops you a line. Diet can have something to do with it but Labs quite often are heavy shedders I don't notice it with mine as my other 4 are long haired breeds. He looks a little thin in the picture but that could be the angle of the photo...

3. Shaun027

Shaun027 PetForums Newbie

That photos a few weeks old now i get him weighed every other week and the pet store say he's about the right weighed.

whats the max you should bath a lab in a month ?

4. mollymo

mollymo PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My youngest is also 6months a GR and has not even started to shed her coat as yet as still growing her adult coat.

I dont bath mine as they swim in the sea and thats good enough for us.

As for a food that stops shedding....well I have not found one yet.
    Just part and parcel of owning a hairy dog:D

5. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, dear Shaun.

6. hendrixnewf

hendrixnewf PetForums Newbie

Hi Shaun, I am looking after my friend's golden lab at the moment. I own a black newfoundland and the lab sheds more than the newf LoL!! I found that being in the water has made a huge difference with the shedding. We took both dogs to the beach and the shedding has been less since then. I've read lots of things about diet being related to shedding etc but nothing proven so far. Stick with the furminator tho, it does help (slightly). Gorgeous puppy btw, good luck :)

7. stubyng

stubyng PetForums Junior

In my experience, Labs do seem to be heavy shedders. Not aware of any food that would help with this.

I used to brush and brush my Lab....it just seems to never stop!

8. K9Steve

K9Steve PetForums VIP

Hello Shaun and welcome!:) I'm afraid the only advice I could give you from the top of my head is to brush and groom your dog daily. Hope that helps!;)

9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

There is no way to stop a dog shedding if it is normal for him to do so.
    Stop worrying and embrace your inner slut.

10. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Shaun, I don't bath my dogs unless they roll in smelly stuff...lol My white collie only had a bath when I bought her 5 yrs ago and 1 other. Most Dogs don't need baths as we do as they have natural oils which helps keep their coats clean

11. See A Man About A Dog

See A Man About A Dog PetForums Junior

Growing up, our family dog was a labrador, a heavy shedder of fur, but well loved for over 10 years.
    You're probably stuck with the fur shedding, I'm afraid!

12. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Sorry but Labradors shed, I doubt it's to do with his food, show bred lines seem to have much thicker coats than working bred lines, but all shed to a greater or lesser degree. Buy a good hoover is my advice I'm afraid :eek: