He tried to eat a toadstool, dangerous??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by alysonandhedley, Dec 6, 2009.

1. alysonandhedley

alysonandhedley PetForums Senior

On the back garden I saw Hedley attempt to mouth something and ran over straight away. It was a group of toadstools. I hopefully got it all out of his mouth, but there may have been bits I missed. I crushed the toadstools with my foot then (a bit stupid but I wanted to keep him away, I would have been better removing them with a plastic bag I know).

Is this an emergency or what?

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

It depends on the toadstool, what did they look like? Were they growing under a particular type of plant or in the middle of the lawn?

3. alysonandhedley

They were in a group in a shady part of the garden which is lawn. They were domed not flat, light brownish colour, with black or dark brown gills.

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Mushrooms are poisouns for dogs so id say toadstools being a fungus of similar species would be equally as troublesome, good that you got it off him I think ;)

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Look! Look at all the f***s I don't give!

I'd keep an eye on him for at least 24hrs though as some of the toxins are slow acting

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

From your description of the toadstools, they don't sound like any of the lethally poisonous species.
    It would have been better to get a sample, or photo just in case - then you could have had it identified.

7. alysonandhedley

I phoned the vet and described it and they werent worried but to be honest I dont know how they could know!

He was quiet at teatime which worried me, but he is lively as usual now and playing around, and its about 12 hours since. I assumed he was OK, but husband has just come to tell me he has had 3 lots of diarrhoea. But maybe eating a non poisonous mushroom would do that to Hedley anyway, been as nothing seems to suit him apart from fish!

#7 alysonandhedley, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  8. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

this sounds like the ones that grow in our garden! same thing happened to maggie when she was little. i put her in her pen on the lawn in the garden when it was nice weather while i was doing some bits with the plants and looked over to see her doing something in the corner...went over to see she has eaten part of a toadstool which i hadnt seen when i put her in the pen!

they sound the same kind, in a damp shady area of the lawn...she didnt eat much, but then for the rest of the day she whined quite a bit and had an upset tummy for the day, but then by the following day she was fine.

the vets said i didnt need to bring her in but keep an eye on her for 24 hours...

so fingers crossed hedley didnt swallow any/enough and will be fine!

I now check my lawn regularly for them as we have had loads this winter so far!

9. alysonandhedley

When I go round with my bags collecting poop I will be checking for mushrooms and removing them too! I havent seen as many in this garden, its a new house, but I know where to look now. I tried to find something like the ones he ingested on the net but none of them seemed exactly the same.

10. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

11. alysonandhedley

Not quite like that katie, but Im glad to say he is OK today. I wish he would stop trying to eat stuff he shouldnt though. Husband was in charge this morning as I had to attend a meeting and he stole some of kids sausages at lunchtime. I usually crate him when they eat but husband wasnt into the routine!

12. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

We remove any mushrooms or toadstools in our garden if any appear. A very good dog in agility died not so long back from eating them so I dont wish to take any chances.