GSD Breeding Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Bentaylor89, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bentaylor89

Bentaylor89 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a pure bred female German shepherd that I got while living in Germany, and I now live in the US. She's over 2 years old, and she isn't fixed. I always wanted to breed her, but I'm not sure if it's the best move, and wanted some insight on the biggest things that I need to consider before doing so. I.e. How noisy are the pups, how much it will cost, how much I can potentially gain financially, pitfalls to avoid, how to get started, etc.

I have her German pedigree and she has great bloodline, and I plan to get her registered through the AKC. Thanks for any info!

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I was not aware that the US was short of good GSD?

Is your GSD Show or Working Line?

You need to know when considering a suitable sire and of course your potential clientele.

Are you in a position to take puppies back if they bounce?

Are you prepared for the fact that your bitch may have no pups, or pups that may fade and die or even that you might lose your bitch?

If you have a GSD you know how noisy they can be!

Is your bitch elbow and hipscored with satisfactory and acceptable scores? Are her eyes tested HC clear?

If your dog has to have a Caesarean it may cost you a lot of money,

So you can end up not making any money and even losing it.

Then you will need to have the pups vet checked and wormed regularly and so it goes.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Those are so not the biggest considerations ...... but further to Smokeybears answers -

Pups are extremely noisy (or so they should be if they are happy) and energetic and destructive and messy.

It will cost a lot if you are doing it properly - health screening, vet checks for bitch and pups, whelping equipment, food for bitch, onward milk for pups, good quality food for pups and vet visits before you sell them. Not to mention 24 hour a day care for the duration.

Financial gain? You are quite likely to hardly cover your costs .... especially if you need the vet in an emergency (and that's more common than you think). If you do make a bit then give it to your dog, she did all the hard work. :D

Pitfalls are many. From Cesarian Sections to loosing pups, to having puppies bounce back from their new homes (your responsibility). Too many to go in to on a forum to be honest. Always be prepared.

How to get started? Well if it's for financial gain ...don't. It ain't worth chancing your bitches health. If you really do think you have a good example of the breed and are happy to go ahead then you read and find a mentor and do your research first .......

J

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You also need to factor in taking time off work - the first couple of weeks - to make sure everything's going well, pups feeding properly and mum not lying on them. If you have any thought of financial gain, don't do it at all. Your dog is not a commodity for your financial gain. Hip and elbow scoring are essential for GSD's, and you should have couple of thousand bucks set by in case of an out-of-hours C-section.

5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

The US ( at least the people in a group I recently joined ) do tend to be more profit driven in terms of pups. They rarely sell for under $1500 and that's cheap!

Everyone else has covered all the main points so I won't rehash what has already been said.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Breeding can be very time consuming, and very expensive or to do everything properly it can. Before you even consider breeding you will need to get her health tested,
    not just a normal health check but specific health tests for the breed. These you will obviously have to pay for, so would of course add to the cost.
    I should imagine although you would need to check the health tests for GSDs in the US. will be the same or at least similar.

BVA/KC Health Schemes http://www.bva.co.uk/chs
    • Hip dysplasia (malformation of the hip joints causing pain and disability): breed mean score 15.4 (parents should be lower)
    • Elbow dysplasia (malformation of the elbow joint causing pain and disability): ideally 0:0
    • Eye disease: Hereditary cataract (HC) (annual testing); Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA)(annual testing) (gradual loss of vision); Multi-focal retinal dysplasia (MRD) (litter screening)
    • The GSD is one of the 14 high profile breeds designated by the Kennel Club as requiring particular monitoring by reason of visible conditions which may cause health and welfare concerns.
    Estimated Breeding Values (EBVs) are now available for Hip Dysplasia and Elbow Dysplasia http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/about-ebvs

DNA tests available
    Parents should be tested for:

• Degenerative myelopathy (CDRM) (degenerative disease of the spinal cord, causing hindquarter weakness, loss of feeling and paralysis)
    • Pyruvate Kinase deficiency ( a key enzyme deficiency which shortens the lifespan of red blood cells leading to haemolytic anaemia)
    • Ivermectin sensitivity
    • Mucopolysaccharidosis (rare enzyme deficiency causing damage to bones, joints and organs)
    Unofficial (breed club) schemes
    • Haemophilia test for males
    • Bitches under 2 years not to produce a litter
    • No stud dog to be used under 18 months of age
    Full details can be found on
    http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/german-shepherd-dog-alsatian/

Remember too that sometimes there can be unforeseen problems above what you would expect just from all the normal costs. Should there be any health issues during pregnancy, whelping, post whelping or problems with the puppies, then this isn't covered on normal pet insurance so it would have to be something you need to ensure that you have got financial cover in place should the worse happen. Another thing you need to consider too, is that should something happen and the bitch for some reason cant feed the puppies would you be in a position to hand rear them.
    https://www.medicanimal.com/Canine-...problems-during-and-post-whelping/a/ART111510

The AKC also has on line good information called responsible Breeding, its not a comprehensive list by any means but it covers a lot of the things that you need to think about before you even consider breeding right through to rehoming the pups.
    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeders/responsible-breeding/

I would also suggest that you get a copy of the book of the bitch, often called the dog breeders bible and research that thoroughly before you do anything else.