Growth for Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ace, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace PetForums Junior

Hello

I have a staffordshire bull terrier who is coming up to 6 months now. Can anyone tell me approx when staffys stop growing in height and start to bulk up? And is there any specific exercises or foods that will assist him in the growth of his muscle.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I could be wrong but I don't think staffie start to fill out until they're 12-18 months old.

Is there any reason why you want him to fill out so early? And not let it happen as and when it should. It could be very damaging to his bones to carry a lot of muscle at his age. He looks perfectly fine for his age, I don't see why you'd want him any bigger muscle wise.

3. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I think the op was possibly asking how to aid healthy growth of a dog of this build to ensure a healthy adult pooch maybe...xx

4. Ace

Ace PetForums Junior

Clare7435 u hit the nail on the head ! :D

5. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

He probably won't get much taller now, but I imagine he is looking leggy as his chest is still shallow. That probably won't drop for another 6 months. As long as you're feeding him decent food he'll be fine.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

As he's crossed with a larger breed, its hard to predict how stocky he will get.

Be careful not to give him too high a protein diet.

7. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

Hi there i have a 9 month old staff bitch and she still hasnt bulked out yet, she was small to start with so i dont think she'll be big but my friends Staff didnt fill out til round about 12 months, by the way he's gorgeous!

8. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Sorry Hun, my misunderstanding.

As others have said, as long as he's on a decent food, he'll do fine.

My staffy x is 7 months old and looks about the same height and build as yours.

9. riffraffdeefer

riffraffdeefer PetForums Member

Hi
    all depends on blood lines etc but as overs have said feed a high quality diet and alot of exercise and you can't go far wrong.
    Rico my blue staffy just turned 2 and is only just starting to fill out.
    Looking at your boy at 6 monthes he will be a nice stocky staffie just be patient!
    All the best.

10. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I would keep the excercise minimal at his age but certainly step it up after he's a year old.

11. Louis22

Louis22 PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have a staff that is nearly 7 months old and already considerably bulky! I walk him three times per day in the week and at the weekends we go for long walks in woods! Is this too much for the dogs age? He eats alot of fresh meat and raw eggs!! He seems very healthy and strong. Can anyone advise if i should be feeding him differently. In regards to wanting your dog to bulk up i would say give him lots of meat and plenty of water. My dog weighs 23KG already and looks great. Will post picture soon.

12. Staffybull

Staffybull PetForums Member

My staffy called(ACE):)who is now 10 months old and he is still a bit leggy!
    He came from a litter of 6 and he and 1 sister are the leggiest out of them all,the others are small and stocky.
    He is pure bred,but i think as someone pointed out,it all depends on the blood lines etc.
    Your dog will fill out eventually,just dont overfeed to force growth!
    Mine is fed twice a day,morning and evening and he seems ok.
    What are you feeding at the moment?I think he looks fine as he is.

#12 Staffybull, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  13. Staffybull

Wow,23kg at 7 months,hes gonna be a big boy;)
    Would luv to see a picture:thumbup:

I dont think this is too much walking for him,he sounds fit and if you are feeding him,without over feeding he should be fine;)although im not sure about the raw eggs,maybe others can advise on this,i give mine boiled egg every other day.

Eggs,fish,chiken etc are all good proteins,i mix this with the food that i feed.

He seems health enough;)

14. MarKalAm

MarKalAm PetForums Senior

Going by the OPs previous posts they seem a little too worried about building this dogs muscle up fast. :confused:

15. baz_Jaq

baz_Jaq PetForums Member

He is a beautiful boy and will develop in his own time.

When we rescued our staff at 8 months he was leggy with a head too big in comparison to the rest of him .

He didn't really fill out till around 18 months and is around 28kg now at 4, a few love handles but mostly muscle.

have some pictures in the staffy section of Benson

16. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I've had three Staffs in my time and they've all bulked up without anything special.
    This boy was about five in the pic, full of muscle and never had anything but tinned food :eek: I never knew about raw feeding then so he got big all on his own, with no help from a good diet. I think most Staffs will thrive on just about anything and it's mostly what their breeding is like that determines the eventual size.
    When I got this boy he looked very square and stocky at 9 weeks old, so he was destined to be a big boy. I loved this guy, he was a real dream boy. :)

[​IMG]

#16 Malmum, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  17. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Novak is a staff x, Bailey is Staff, Novak is 20kg, but quite leggy, Bailey is shorted and 21kg. I think they're both nice and healthy looking, they're all muscle and I've done nothing to 'bulk' them up. Just fed the best food I could, exercised them and let nature take its course.

18. Staffybull

:thumbup:agree with you!!

Let nature take the course of finalizing the final result!

19. Staffybull

He is a good looking boy,for a tinned food diet;)
    May i ask what he was fed on?
    If he was healthy on tinned,then why do you now choose to feed raw?

If i could,i would go the RAW way,but i cant seem to CLARIFY the correct recipe:(or recipes!!)
    I have revised loads of raw,ish menus,but still i can not come to a positive conclusion:(

Maybe i will at sometime:thumbup:

20. Maistaff

Maistaff PetForums Senior

Depending on your dogs breeding will greatly determine how he take s shape as an adult

All of my Stafford's have taken shape from 6 months of age onwards and finally maturing at around 3 years of age depending on their lines as some lines mature faster than others.

I would be careful not to over feed your dog and put too much weight on him. Many people have this misconception that SBT's should be big and bulky, this is not the case, they should be fit and muscular and not fat!!

Your pup is still very young and has many stages to go through over the next year or so over which you will see him develop.

As already mentioned i wouldn't over walk him. Not too much road work if you do! Also feed a good well balanced diet and really you won't go wrong

Best of luck with him

#20 Maistaff, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010