GPS Tracker for cats

Discussion in 'Cat Classifieds' started by elina, Apr 25, 2015.

1. elina

elina PetForums Newbie

#1 elina, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi,

This product looks interesting. Many GPS real time devices I have seen seem to require a subscription. This doesn't seem to... is that correct? I have no experience of real time devices but have used the g-paws gps logger to log my cat's travels. This isnt a real time device but is much smaller than the one you have linked to and well tolerated by my cats. It gives a good depiction of a cats travels over time plotted on google maps or similar. I have used it to build up a pattern of my cats patrol routes so whilst it didnt tell me where my cat was at a particular instant, she was so consistent in her patrolling route and at what times that it was quite easy to visit those places and track her down. It was also possible to work out what activities she was likely to be engaged in: hunting sleeping, exploring.

What are you hoping to use a GPS locator / tracker for ?

Given my cat's habit of losing her collar I was reticent about paying a lot of money for a device that might be lost. in theory i suppose you could get coordinates of where the collar was but in practice locating a collar in dense undergrowth even with a fairly narrow search field might prove difficult perhaps ?

3. phustwit

phustwit PetForums Newbie

account Closed

#3 phustwit, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  4. phustwit

phustwit PetForums Newbie

Account Closed

#4 phustwit, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

In your link Phustwit, the gpaws tracker is the one I have and described above. It is not a real time tracker but gives useful information about where your cat has been.
    The second, the Loc8tor, is not a GPS tracker but does locate the signal from the cat collar in real time. We have one of these also. In theory it works well if it has a clear line of sight of 100m but in practice undergrowth, buildings, even the cats own body between the searcher and the tracker and the collar device will block the signal. With the item placed at the bottom of my garden with both front and back doors open (ie clearish line of sight) I could detect the device from the street outside (approx 40m). I could also detect it in an upstairs room facing the street from outside but it didn't detect the device with doors shut or when the cat was crouched in undergrowth even when only 10 meters away. Therefore it is probably helpful if you want to check whether your cat is sitting in the rooms facing the street in your neighbours house or whether she is in some light shubbery in your garden but not if you are searching a large area with lots of obstacles. For that you need a real time GPS tracker.

6. elina

elina PetForums Newbie

for Just in case my cat

I have tried one. It does work pretty well, although I did have to change the collar as the one provided is for dogs. No subscription ! You just put whatever SIM card you want and it is ready to go ! Basically when you send it and SMS message, it send you one back with a google maps link. Pretty cool !

7. fernvarks

fernvarks PetForums Newbie

Hi Elina,

I am trying to work out which GPS trackers are the best for my cat. I have recently had one cat go missing (still missing 2 weeks later) and would like to get a GPS tracker for my other cat to give me more peace of mind. The one you mention above that you send SMS messages too sounds very interesting. please can you share some further details about this? possibly a link to the website?

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

The link is in Elinas first post.

9. GPCats

GPCats PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

My name is Shawn and I've been working with a small team for over a year now. We just released a kickstarter campaign for our GPS Tracking Device that just so happens to be made just for cats. Most of the tracking devices are really expensive or come with outrageous monthly fees. Anyway, you can see what we are working on through Kickstarter or our Facebook page gpcats.tracker

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Shawn
    gpcats(dot)com

10. tabztabz

tabztabz PetForums Newbie

try using Trackimo 3G GPS tracker. its a good device for your pets..im also using the device for my dog, its small and lightweight device and has a long-lasting battery life.

11. Helena Turner

Helena Turner PetForums Newbie

nice recommendation, a very decent device. i'm also using the trackimo-trk100 for my buddy spike (dog)

tabztabz likes this.
  12. tabztabz

good to know that your also using Trackimo, i just bought another one for my drone though :)

13. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

I wonder if this is our GPS obsessed friend who is trying to advertise.

FeelTheBern likes this.
  14. edmun

edmun PetForums Newbie

LOL! well its nice to know that there are other Trackimo users in this thread. yeah! try using the device, you will like it.

15. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

No, I prefer my pet to be close by me on a lead. He can't be run over that way and he is safe so no I won't like it.

16. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Useful things. Our cats insist that we wear a GPS tracker whenever we leave the house. They need to know how close we are around dinner time.

17. tabztabz