Goldfish fry

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by magpie, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

They certainly seem to be coming on well.
    Euthanasia is a sad fact of keeping fish - my pond fish have twice needed a cull, even after giving about 50 away to a friend who had a large new pond.
    I use clove oil after reading up on the web for the most humane method - still a bit upsetting though.
    Hopefully your brood will be stable now and find good homes!:)

magpie likes this.
  2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I know, it was sad and I did feel horrible, but I do think it was for the best. I used clove oil too, apparently it is like an anaesthetic so they just go to sleep.

Fingers crossed that the rest continue to do well! And that I can find good homes for any that I can't keep! :)

Oh gosh, I'll try!! They are tricky to get pictures of as they are fast and I've only got my mobile phone and a clip-on macro lens! Maybe when they are a bit bigger and it's easier to tell them apart, but yes, I will definitely need some help with names :D

3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Last few days have been terrible for my little ones, we've gone from 16 to 11 :(

Lost one at random a couple of days ago, no obvious reason for it and no previous signs of illness. Then I had to euthanise one that I'd been keeping an eye on for a while as I never saw it off the bottom of the tank, and it just went rapidly downhill. Down to 14 fish. Water parameters fine though.

Tonight I found another two dead, again really suddenly with no previous signs of struggling. Checked water and found traces of ammonia. Emergency water change. Recounted fish, down to 11. Must have scooped one out in the water change, absolutely gutted, so careless of me :(

#23 magpie, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this :( Are there definitely only 11? I've lost track of the amount of times I've thought I've lost a fish, only for it to turn up hours or even days later!

5. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Thanks, yep definitely only 11, I've counted and recounted and there's nowhere for them to hide really. Just feel awful about it :(

I also think I really need to get them into a bigger volume of water, even though they are still small they are creating a lot of mess. I have some storage boxes but I think they look too flimsy to hold water.

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

If you have a spare filter you could set it up with some ammonia chips (wrap foam around the intakes and outflow )

http://charterhouse-aquatics.com/sh...o-chips-340g?gclid=CNKxz87MmdICFW4o0wodBPsCPw

magpie likes this.
  7. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

When I raised my Krib fry I only ended up with 10 out of 100 babies despite their parents and my care. Unfortunately fish produce large nos of fry just to ensure a few survive but it is still frustrating and sad to lose them. :-(

8. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

I know how you feel. I lost a cory once when I was transferring all my fish into a new tank so that I could re-fit the old tank. The cory somehow got into the filter housing, must have survived there for a couple of days in an inch or so of dirty water, then got tipped out into the bath when I was cleaning out the old tank! I tried to rescue it but it died the next day and I felt awful! However, these accidents happen sometimes and there's no point beating ourselves up over them.

magpie likes this.
  9. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies :)

I've ordered one of the 'really useful' boxes, as I tried mine with some water and it definitely didn't look very safe. So that should be here tomorrow and the 11 will have some more space.

NaomiM likes this.
  10. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

All settled into their new home, hopefully this will be it until they are big enough to go in with the adults. It's only 64L, but the tank they were in previously was only 30L and quite square in shape, so it's a lot more volume and swimming room for them :)

[​IMG]

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

It looks lovely. They are getting quite big now. :)

magpie likes this.
  12. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

The babies are now over 6 weeks old, and the 11 are doing well! The storage box 'tank' is rubbish for taking pictures as it's not clear, so I popped them in a smaller container just for a photo... for size reference, it's the plastic top off an API master test kit (well washed first of course) :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shrike, NaomiM, Shikoku and 2 others like this.
  13. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Look like proper goldfish now :)

magpie likes this.
  14. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Oh wow they look so grown-up now! I did think crikey they have grown huge so quickly then I went back and read they are in an API test kit lid:)

magpie likes this.
  15. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Haha! Yes, they are still pretty small, though huge compared to how they started out :D

I just wish some of them would change colour, as they are still really difficult to tell apart!

kittih likes this.
  16. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

8 weeks, still no colour to tell them apart!! 10 babies left and I've attempted to take pictures to try and help me monitor them as individuals, as it's really tricky when there is so little difference between them! And they are going to need names at some point :)

First up is the biggest one (1) and the smallest one (2). The smallest one is also darker than all the rest (more noticeable from the top), and has a slight, hook-shaped curve to it's tail:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one with the most wide-spread fan tail (3), and one with a damaged/deformed gill plate on it's right side (4):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 'triplets' (5,6 & 7)! Slightly smaller than the biggest one but not by much, and there really isn't anything to tell them apart:
    [​IMG]

8 has slightly outward curling gill plates and is a bit smaller than the triplets:
    [​IMG]

9 & 10 again have nothing much to tell them apart. They are a bit smaller than the triplets and 10 is a tiny bit darker (but not as dark as 2!):
    [​IMG]

3dogs2cats, NaomiM and kittih like this.
  17. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

The biggest six have moved into the adult tank :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They seem to be doing fine, they all stuck together at the top of the tank to begin with, but they are now exploring and the adults are pretty much ignoring them :D

The remaining four are still in the baby tank, I'm going to give them another week or so to try and help them catch up in size a bit before moving them over too.

3dogs2cats, NaomiM and kittih like this.
  18. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

They look huge in their own tank but tiny next to the adult.

Are you planning to find homes for some or keep them all ?

magpie likes this.
  19. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Keep them for the moment, as they are still so little. Eventually I probably will need to rehome some of them, assuming I can find some good homes! I think it would get a bit crowded in my tank with 12 fish, especially if they all end up growing to a decent size.

20. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

They are so lovely! What are we thinking for names? A theme, book/film characters? All names start with same letter? We need to get making suggestions soon:D

magpie likes this.