Glass Memory Beads

Discussion in 'Small Animal Classifieds' started by Babyshoes, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Member

When I started selling lampwork glass beads at the beginning of the year, I had no intention of making memory beads, as it is pretty scary to work with a loved one's ashes. There are already very experienced beadmakers doing just that, and they have some lovely work.

However, a few months ago I was asked by a lovely customer if I would give it a go with her beloved doggy's ashes, and to my surprise I found it to be very a very rewarding and worthwhile service to offer. I can incorporate ashes (pet or human), hair or fur into beautiful glass beads, which I turn into pendants, keyrings or charms.

I can even mix ashes and fur in the same bead, as I did with the ashes of one pet who had passed away with her best friend's fur, as he was missing her terribly. I thought it was a lovely token way for them to be together forever.

I also have paw print & kitty beads available which are not memory beads, which will make a great Christmas present for any animal lover!

Have a browse of my Etsy shop here.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Member

These are a couple of more recent makes using fur. The earrings are quite small beads, which is fairly easy to do using fur, but not with ashes.
    The pendant was a last minute Christmas present from my neighbour to her sister, as she was looking after the sister's dog in the week before the big day. We snipped a little fur off her tail where it wasn't obvious, but I could just as easily work with fur from a brush or hoover...

I think that's a lovely pressie idea for a pet owner - a piece of unique, custom jewellery (or a key ring) they can keep close when they are apart from their pets. It's also far less emotional to have them made while the pet is in good health, don't you think?

View attachment 296470 View attachment 296471