Gerbil help needed!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by EmmaStokeld, May 11, 2017.

1. EmmaStokeld

EmmaStokeld PetForums Newbie

Hello! I was looking for some advice, I had a little hamster who sadly died, I was devastated so my boyfriend tried to cheer me up by buying me two little gerbils, they're very cute but they won't stop biting, it's impossible to touch them, we've had them around a month now and they've never got any better, just putting your hand in the cage makes them attack, I feel really bad because obviously they have never been out their cage, I'm worried they will get really depressed? Or will they just be used to it since they have never known life outside a cage? Is it better to have somebody adopt them who can maybe try train them? Or keep them if they will be happy enough living their whole lives in a cage?

2. horsey10

horsey10 PetForums Newbie

What size is the cage? I don't have much experience with biting, but i know that if they have a large enough cage, and have enough bedding, they should have them selfs entertained enough

3. noushka05

noushka05 ❄️ lefty,remoaner,bunny-hugger, giver of a ****

Gerbils need to exhibit their natural burrowing behaviour so really need to be kept in a tank filled with deep substrate a cage is unsuitable maybe they are biting because they're not happy .

My gerbils have all passed away now but these are a couple of old pics I've found of my gerbils tank. Shavings can be dusty so I used to use aubiose & layer it with hay. Deeper than the bottom pic is better so they can make good tunnels.

upload_2017-5-23_20-1-14.png

upload_2017-5-23_20-2-34.png