General Election 8th June 2017

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stockwellcat, Apr 18, 2017.

?

Who are you going to vote for?

1. Conservatives

30 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Labour

42 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Lib Dems

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Green Party

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Abstaining From Voting

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Undecided

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. UKIP

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Where is the sense in spending billions for the minority? By all means, put some of the money towards home economics education, but don't keep coming up with new things to spend money on because a few people are incapable of rearing their own children

DT and rona like this.
  2. Odin_cat

Odin_cat PetForums Member

I don't think children should suffer for their parents faults. Society benefits from healthy, well rounded individuals.

I don't know if free school meals is the answer but I see social mobility as one of the most important aspects of a fair society.

3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I did cookery for GCSE (failed miserably) but I still remember the one lesson that was devoted to nutrition. A lot of the information I didn't know, e.g. Vitamin c is water soluble, which is why you put vegetables into boiling water, and when I told my mum she admitted she never knew why she did that, but had been taught that that's what you do.

MrsZee likes this.
  4. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

But you dont need a class for that! There are so many recipes out there that are really simple and you can get your kids involved by getting them to do really simple things.

A friend of mine researched how to make bread, jam and marmalade whilst she was on maternity leave with her first child. Now the kids are 3 & 5 and every weekend she posts photos of the three of them making all sorts. The kids absolutely love it and she loves doing her hobby and spending quality time with her girls

KatieandOliver and rona like this.
  5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

At no point have I said it's necessarily the 'only' decent meal of the day. That way of thinking stems from assuming the parents are incapable or unwilling to bother and I'm not saying they are. We do send our children to school to learn and I'm of the mind that everyone eating together is part of that process. What they learn and how they learn it will always be a matter for debate as will whether it's worth the money we spend on it.

MrsZee, noushka05 and leashedForLife like this.
  6. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I personally see more investment in schools and teaching as a way to produce more well rounded adults, which is why the billions spent on feeding children who don't need to be fed, rather than hiring more teachers, infuriates me

Calvine likes this.
  7. Odin_cat

Odin_cat PetForums Member

Fair enough, I agree that more money is needed for teaching. Unfortunately I somehow doubt that the money saved from cutting school meals will go to fund more teachers.

8. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Im gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons,
    Gotta say judging by the amount of fat people out there including children, I find it hard to believe anyone's that hungry
    Opps sorry, my sense of humour, but just had to look on the funny side else id cry .

AlexPed2393, Honeys mum and MiffyMoo like this.
  9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Of course it isn't the answer to all ills but neither do I believe cutting them will end up being cost effective in the longer term. Seen in isolation it's an easy target and judging by the response on this forum quite a popular one.

10. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Maggie thatcher milk snatcher
    Urm familiar

noushka05 likes this.
  11. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

And yet I don't see hordes of people suffering from calcium deficiency

DT and Calvine like this.
  12. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Me neither:D

13. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

She did us all a favour, cows milk is for baby cows and designed to grow them to a huge animal in a much shorter space of time than human children should grow which is why it contains IGF 1 growth hormone which we don't need. I can also remember gagging on that revolting warm creamy mixture and pouring mine away whenever possible :Yuck:Vomit

DT likes this.
  14. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Awyway! I'm not going to lose any sleep about it when we are all starving l and our children are wearing rags won't we be getting foreign aid? after all isn't that what civilised countries do

Calvine and MiffyMoo like this.
  15. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

The countries with the highest intake of dairy products have the highest rates of osteoporosis and fractures. Its been a brilliant marketing trick for decades.

DT and MiffyMoo like this.
  16. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Wish they'd done it 20 years sooner rottie I hated the stuff

MiffyMoo and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  17. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I can only drink a little bit or I get eczema on my face. I switched to almond milk years ago because of that

DT and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  18. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

What do teachers think of it? It probably made it easier. All the kids in the same place eating lunch. No bullying for lunch money, or a special item in the packed lunch. No having to check kids' packed lunches to make sure they're adequate and are according to school rules. No teasing over free lunches. All kids fed. Less food thrown away as numbers were more predictable. Now they'll get free breakfast instead. That'll need supervision.

In this thread, or another a while back, I said MaggieT was proved right to stop the milk, for more than one reason. :D

19. rona

rona Missing my boy

MiffyMoo likes this.