Frontline and thick fur

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Janee, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

OK - I have used frontline for some time but I have always worried that its not getting to where it should because of the thick fur on the necks of Maine Coons

NO SKIN SHOWING! Both my now deceased MC and Bindi the female I have adopted had such thick fur I just could not see any skin!

The male Hector has skin :p which I could SEE when I parted the fur - so no problem there

But what about where it is just a no-go seeing the skin - what do you do?

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you can part the fur with your fingers
    or the end should be on the skin before you squeeze it
    then should be ok

3. Kay73

Kay73 PetForums VIP

i blow hard on my cats fur to get it to part before applying frontline.;)

4. Selk67U2

Selk67U2 PetForums VIP

I get hubby to push the fur up so the skin shows, then I squeeze the stuff on lol

5. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Also push nozzle through til it stops then you know youve hit skin and squeeze:)i assume your using spot on.

6. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Bit rude Clare:eek::D:D:D

7. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

only if youve got a filthy mind!!!;):D frontlines great until cat decides to shoot off at point of squeezing out and you miss the spot and they can lick it:mad:one of mine starts to dribble as soon as i snap off the top!funny how they all dissapear at this point:confused:

8. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Excuse me-my mind is filled with the purity of a well groomed minx i'll have you know:DI mean't it'd be a bit rude to scruff ya pussy and part the fur and then squeeze somthing wet and cold from a plastic nozzle;)Dunno whats filthy in that:confused::D

9. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

Dont know what you are on about lass, you can part the fur on any cat and see the skin !!!!!! :p:p:p

10. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Actually, no you can't. Maine coons are known for their very thick fur especially the undercoat, and they don't lose the ruff like some of the wedgies do.

I was quite amazed that I could see Hector's skin though IMO he has a 'european' type coat as opposed to 'american'.

I will try the blowing trick next time and also Wendy's tip of pushing the fur up as I suspect wedgies also have very thick fur undercoat.