Forms

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Aej, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Aej

Aej PetForums Newbie

Hi

Does anyone know where I can look at T&C, Contract and Vet release form templates? Or does anyone have any I could look at please?

Many thanks
    Ashleigh

2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums Member

Vet release form is a meaningless piece of paper. T&C/contracts equally a waste of time unless you are prepared to spend time and legal fees enforcing them.

Keep it simple, agree with clients that if a dog is off colour when you arrive you phone the owner for instructions, if injured whilst in your care straight to their vets then inform owner.

If you really must have T&C's it's probably best to come up with your own that fit the service you provide.

#2 Dr Pepper, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. Ownedbymany

Ownedbymany PetForums Senior

I disagree with Dr pepper. Even if you don't enforce your terms (I don't think I ever have). It let's the clients know what's expected and may discourage them from messing you around. It also let's them know what they can expect from you too and they can refer back to their copy if needed.
    They can't really moan because you didn't turn up at bang on 12 if you've put some leeway in your terms and they have signed to agree to that. Verbal agreement may be enough but people forget things and there are some awkward people out there.

Some information can be required by insurance companies too (particularly for dogs off lead).

There are loads of forms online with a Google search. I read through several and then wrote my own after deciding what did/didn't apply to the way I wanted to run my business. Linda Ward also has some ebooks on amazon which are very helpful and inexpensive, I'll try and find the link later.

4. Dr Pepper

Yes, definitely two sides of this coin. The service we offer is quite different to the majority of walkers and any T&C's would be pretty meaningless. I'm also a great believer in keeping things simple! I can see why people may want them though, it's just worth considering if you really need them.

5. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Junior

Do you ask your clients to sign an off lead agreement or anything like that? Do the clients expect to sign some form of agreement when you take on their dog?

6. Dr Pepper

No, we discuss the requirements and act on that. Our clients don't expect, or desire, contracts and T&C's. Most, if not all, the paperwork walkers come up with is no more valuable than verbal agreements as you'll be insured (never been asked by a insurer for anything from clients such as off lead etc). If your professional and do as the client requests you'll have no problems.

7. FriendlyFours

FriendlyFours PetForums Junior

I must also disagree for afew reasons:
    - Vet release form legally gives you the right to make decisions on behalf of an owner, oral contract means nothing and will leave you liable for payments.
    - Most vets around here will not proceed with any clients dogs without a release form stating who is responsible for paying and how much they're willing to pay (Understandable as they know Im not the one paying :D)

I understand your position that your clients don't require them but i'm worried that if anyone runs into a dispute based on a 'oral' agreement which can be denied, fabricated, mistaken and would be solely based on your word against a clients.

I do agree that the T&C should reflect your own services you provide and should be tailored to how you wish to run your business.

8. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Junior

Hi...you mentioned the word 'legally'....how does the vet release form 'legally' give you a right? Is the vet release form provided by the vet? How does such a document become 'legal' in the first place, does your solicitor validate somehow, so it could stand scrutiny in a court of law?

9. Dr Pepper

The way we work is that if a dog gets injured on a walk we take it to the vet and our insurance covers the cost. If the dog is unwell when we arrive we phone the owner and if a vet's visit it required they phone the vet and also pay. So payment is never an issue and the vet release form of no value, legal or otherwise - for us and our clients. Other walkers may have different circumstances and require some sort of written agreement.

10. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

DogTec provides CDs with legal forms that are downloadable & customizable -

Legal and Liability Concerns for Dog Professionals - Dog Tec
    dogtec.org/articles/sometimes-dogs-bite-3-steps-to-sleeping-well-at-night
    To obtain a good contract with legal waiver language, you can ask friendly ... There's no other paperwork and it is the simplest form of business for taxes: what ...
    Business forms contracts and waivers for Dog trainers - Dog Tec

dogtec.org/cd_trainer.php
    What Is It? A complete set of ready-made business administration and workflow documents for dog trainers. Why do everything from scratch? With all the ...

FriendlyFours likes this.
  11. FriendlyFours

FriendlyFours PetForums Junior

We could say this about any form or contract, if that was the case no one would be allowed to do anything 'legally' and wouldn't be able to make decisions, I know I would have alot stronger defence with a written contract signed by the person in question versus hearsay and that's really all that matters to me.

I know with my vet release form that if in an emergency I can make a decision (based on the vets judgment) if I'm unable to contact the owners for any reason and I have a signed contract (which same as verbal is legally binding) stating this.
    The same as a parent has to sign a school trip form allowing teachers to take them away.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, I just believe looking after a living, breathing animal that most would count as their child should be treated the same as if it was.

In no way am I saying if you do something stupid that any of this will release you from liability.

12. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

When i pet-sat, I had a simple vet release that explained *if* there was something seriously wrong with their pet, IME & IMO, & *if* i could not reach them - either because it was a pressing emergency & there was NO TIME to contact the owners, or i simply couldn't reach them for whatever reason [no cell coverage where they were, etc], i had their express permission to take their pet to her or his usual vet, or to MY usual vet, or to the emergency vet, whichever was closest or open, for Dx & Tx -
    & they filed their credit or debit card separately with the vet, "just in case", for use during those possible emergencies.
    It saved my butt once, metaphorically - & the dog's butt as well - when the Beagle i was caring for, among 3 other dogs & 2 cats in the same household,
    SWALLOWED CHUNKS OF A PAINTERS' LIGHT PLASTIC TARP - & it began coming out her anus!, during a potty walk. :eek: :eek: :eek:
    She [the dog] wanted to PULL ON IT, so i'm handling 3 other dogs & trying desperately to prevent Arwen from grabbing the dangling pull-string on her own rear, all at the same time. :Jawdrop I'm walking on a 12-ft wide bike path that's heavily used, with a dog who's pooping plastic sheeting, trying to keep her moving, watch for traffic, prevent her yanking on the "string", & keep 3 other dogs moving along with us.
    It was a 20-min walk to my vet's clinic, & the longest 20-mins i experienced in my life; 1 of the dogs was dog-reactive & went off several times on approaching canines, another tried to leap into the tidal creek from the left side of the bike-path when we swung over to give 2 oncoming GSDs a wide berth... it was a nightmare.
    Got to my vets', explained to the receptionist, vet came out to the waiting room immediately, saw her right there, took her into the kennel, put a cone on her, & held her for 24-hrs watch with H2O only, no food. // She expelled all the plastic on her own, i picked her up next day, all OK. Whew! *wipes brow shakily*

U'd think if someone's dog had a major PICA habit when stressed, that they'd mention that?... I'd been doing b-mod with that dog for 3-mos straight , the previous year, & the owner never once told me she ate the inedible when she got upset. :Muted Many bad words, thought very very loudly.
    Thank God, i didn't have to cover the vet-bill, i didn't have to worry about it, it was all decided in advance, & that much was *not* stressful. :)

13. Aej

Aej PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I'll take a look at those links.

leashedForLife likes this.
  14. Northampton Dog Walker

Northampton Dog Walker PetForums Junior

Hi,

I find most customers want to keep things simple and base their decision on how you get on with their dog in initial meeting, not your endless contract documents. However i do insist on them confirming in writing if they want me walk their dog off lead as my insurance requires it. It can be an email, not too formal, just enough to cover me.

Gary

15. Aej

Aej PetForums Newbie

Thanks Gary