UK Pet Forums Forum banner

For those dogs that swim in lakes and ponds...

42K views 104 replies 93 participants last post by  leashedForLife 
#1 ·
Are owners aware of the dangers of blue green algae?

There was something on the news this morning that jogged my memory. Its mainly related to standing water, so flowing streams and rivers are usually safe.

cyanobacteria poisoning,
poisoning by cyanobacteria, usually as a result of drinking contaminated water. In most cases it is a subacute condition characterized by liver damage with jaundice and sometimes bloody diarrhea and photosensitization. Drinking of heavily contaminated water may cause acute symptoms including muscle tremors, ataxia, dyspnea, cyanosis, and hyperesthesia so that a slight touch may cause convulsions and opisthotonos, which can be fatal. Also called blue-green algae poisoning.
Dog owners warned against letting pets swim in lakes after poisonous algae found flourishing in hot weather | Mail Online

#79 ·
Really good point , Also watch out for swans protecting eggs nearby ,my wife son and max the staff and i were on a walk about spring time when we saw a swan forcing down a labrador that had jumped in a lake for a swim , much to the distress of the owner .The swan was very aggressive. :scared:

#80 · (Edited)
I never allow my dog in lakes that have swans or Canadian geese as they can both be aggressive. I also agree with flowing water being best. I'm sure my dog got lung worm once from swimming in a stagnant pond. I can't always stop her mind but regularly treat her for lung worm to play it safe.

One of the best things I've ever brought for my dog is a childrens sand pit. I fill it with water and let her coold down in it after a walk. She loves it. Because it's plastic it doesn't matter if she tries to dig in it which she she does to try and cover herself more with water.

#88 ·
It seems the diseases of stagnant water are tremendous, my vet reminded me that the disease LEPTOSPIROSE can be contracted from drinking infected by droppings of rats and mice in puddles even as well as ditches ponds lakes where rodents excrete. stopping my dogs from drinking in such places is not easy.

#89 ·
I knew an owner whose dog died with it, nothing anyone can do if affected and apparently its a horrendous painful end.

The only thing i can ad is that the blue green way it appears its one of around a hundred or more strains of blue green algea & we cant tell which one any of them are

#92 ·
Local to me clumber park and rufford suffer really bad from it at certain times of the year
Yes - the weed at Clumber last year was awful too - made it quite smelly in summer!

At Rufford they do put warning signs up. Although with a Dog Control order now in place at Rufford all dogs have to be kept on lead there at all times now anyway.

My two are from the rescue near Clumber at Babworth. :)

#99 ·
Hi, my Tilly jumped in a pond today with blue/green algae in. She was only in about 15-20 seconds and was green when she came out :eek: I bathed her as soon as we got in and so far she is seeming fine. If she has been affected by it, when would I see any symptoms?

She usually has 99% recall, unfortunately this was the 1% where she didnt :(

#100 ·
Are owners aware of the dangers of blue green algae?

There was something on the news this morning that jogged my memory. Its mainly related to standing water, so flowing streams and rivers are usually safe.

Dog owners warned against letting pets swim in lakes after poisonous algae found flourishing in hot weather | Mail Online
I think my dog suffered with something related to this on the weekend. after jumping in a pond whilst walking we had a horrible incident at 2am that night where i was woken by my very distressed dog and ran down stairs to find a soiled crate :( like nothing i had ever seen (or smelt) before. he was so upset with himself poor thing and two hours later i was still cleaning up. i could only put this down to the water he went in and more than likely drank. he doesnt even poop in our garden let alone the house! if only he knew to whine before he needed to go, not after:(but he has never whined to go outside :( so i also take heed of this warning, although not the blue green poisoning i do believe the stagnant water had an effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.