UK Pet Forums Forum banner

For those dogs that swim in lakes and ponds...

42K views 104 replies 93 participants last post by  leashedForLife 
#1 ·
Are owners aware of the dangers of blue green algae?

There was something on the news this morning that jogged my memory. Its mainly related to standing water, so flowing streams and rivers are usually safe.

cyanobacteria poisoning,
poisoning by cyanobacteria, usually as a result of drinking contaminated water. In most cases it is a subacute condition characterized by liver damage with jaundice and sometimes bloody diarrhea and photosensitization. Drinking of heavily contaminated water may cause acute symptoms including muscle tremors, ataxia, dyspnea, cyanosis, and hyperesthesia so that a slight touch may cause convulsions and opisthotonos, which can be fatal. Also called blue-green algae poisoning.
Dog owners warned against letting pets swim in lakes after poisonous algae found flourishing in hot weather | Mail Online

#28 ·
Oh wow thanks for this! My dogs arent great with water, but we do have a pond in the park! We have a stream as well and they drink out of that. But it is always running and always fresh. Actually the pond is always running cause it goes into the stream. Hmmm, is this ok? Now I am concerned. The pond does keep moving cause of the stream. But would it get it in it cause its not very fast until it gets to the streamy bit! Would you see algae?

#30 ·
Ohh right. Ty thats ok, the water is very clear actually, ducks and fish are in them. We got coy carp in the ponds! Got new baby ducks as well! there were 11, think there is now 6! Think foxes got them! Poor things!

#31 ·
Had a problem last year with tilly who become very ill for unknown reasons to me,sickness and diarohea bless her was caused through tilly drinking from puddles in the woods.
Dogs drinking from puddles is such a worry! I saw a lady this morning completely ignoring the fact that her dog was drinking from a puddle in a car park:eek: So risky given the chances of oil/anti-freeze/other chemicals.

Really good information about the danger of algae, thanks. Makes me very wary about letting dogs of lead in an unfamiliar environment - could always be a pond just out of site that they might get into before you know it! x

#32 ·
Are canals alright for swimming in?

#33 ·
Just wondering what classes as stagnant. We have a very large Lake near us, loads of dogs swim there. It has a river running through it. I did notice the other week that there was a small patch in one corner of it with a green weed looking stuff floating. Is that likely to be the dangerous stuff and does it make to whole lake a no go.
The park is run by our local authority, could they test the water and put up warning notices when it unsafe for our dogs??

#35 ·
Hi everyone, I was talking to the warden of our local country park recently and he said that a pair of swans that were sitting on eggs had drowned 2 dogs as they had been swimming in the lake and had got too close. I had no idea that a swan was capable of drowning a dog - particularly as one was quite large (a Labrador).
Lisa
Completely Canine | PURE Dog Listening | Dog Walking | Dog Sitting | Dog Listener | Covering: Chesterfield, Sheffield, Mansfield, Worksop, Dronfield, UK | Based in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK

#37 ·
This is something I was totally unaware of. Does anyone know of an easy way to determine if a lake contains this kind of algae? Are there signs to look for on the surface? I think every dog owner needs to be aware of this. This is worth reposting.
Well, I might be wrong but I took a photo of this dodgy looking water.

I've seen some place put signs up to warn people.

Attachments

#38 ·
Thanks for posting this.....we were on holiday last week and our hound swam in Windermere every day (great fun he says), and then as we were about to come home the 'Great North Swim' (in Windermere) was cancelled - for this reason.

Lake looked really clear though....

#45 ·
yes take bottle and bowl for drinking water when out...to try and avoid them drinking in ponds etc....and

ear infections also danger from dirty water ...dog starts scratching ears...and you find dark fungus when you go to vet and liquid treatment needed to clear out.

#47 ·
Just to lighten the mood - my springer ALWAYS finds standing water wherever we go......... She's called "Bog Dog" - er...that should read "Jasmine",

The Swamp Monster OF Stanton Moor - Peak District Art - Peak District Online, Peak District Accommodation, Holiday Cottages, Hotels, Pubs, B&B, Campsites

I'm new today - can anyone tell me what a trackback is please - without messing up this thread (sorry Im a newbie - help!)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.