UK Pet Forums Forum banner

For those dogs that swim in lakes and ponds...

42K views 104 replies 93 participants last post by  leashedForLife 
#1 ·
Are owners aware of the dangers of blue green algae?

There was something on the news this morning that jogged my memory. Its mainly related to standing water, so flowing streams and rivers are usually safe.

cyanobacteria poisoning,
poisoning by cyanobacteria, usually as a result of drinking contaminated water. In most cases it is a subacute condition characterized by liver damage with jaundice and sometimes bloody diarrhea and photosensitization. Drinking of heavily contaminated water may cause acute symptoms including muscle tremors, ataxia, dyspnea, cyanosis, and hyperesthesia so that a slight touch may cause convulsions and opisthotonos, which can be fatal. Also called blue-green algae poisoning.
Dog owners warned against letting pets swim in lakes after poisonous algae found flourishing in hot weather | Mail Online

#3 ·
Are owners aware of the dangers of blue green algae?

There was something on the news this morning that jogged my memory. Its mainly related to standing water, so flowing streams and rivers are usually safe.

Dog owners warned against letting pets swim in lakes after poisonous algae found flourishing in hot weather | Mail Online
I read this in the londonpaper last night on the way home and was going to post about it but i couldn't remember exactly what the article said.

#7 ·
Good idea to post this...

My dog always tries to jump in my garden pond when it's hot..
We do have a stream and waterfall (man made) though so the water isn't stagnent..

It's just a job trying to keep him out of it as he always wants to play with the fishies

#8 ·
This is a great post thank you Nonnie.

Our Bruce is such water baby even the smallest puddle he seems to find. one of my friends had a collie die 3 years ago due to algae in the local park, pond. We have always been careful where we let him swim not easy with a cocker that’s a livewire lol.

Thanks again it’s always good to have a reminder.
Adam,Cheryl and Bruce :)

#9 ·
oh dear, ray has just finally learned to swim and there is no keeping him out. W take him to a pond on hampstead heath in london, but only let him get into the larger one with loads of vegetation growing in. It's all green on the surface, but they are little plants which I hope are oxigenating the water, there are no algae but will def look into this better!!!!!

#23 ·
I actually recently wrote a post about dogs swimming and mentioned this danger in there. It's very important to look where you let your dog swim and be aware of the dangers of bacteria. Also remember to look for any dead fish in the water and checking that there aren't any broken bottles or sharp rocks jutting out under the water for your dog to step on.

#25 ·
Had a problem last year with tilly who become very ill for unknown reasons to me,sickness and diarohea bless her was caused through tilly drinking from puddles in the woods,my goodness it was very worrying for us all,but the vets obviously have seen the symptons many times previously and after some injections and course of tablets she fought it off,i would never like to see that happen to anyone,so please take note from the original poster of the harm that is hiding in water.
We are often asked if tilly is a lake dog,i never let her near any lake as i am not a good swimmer and wouldnt want to take any chances with her in case of problems that could arise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.