Feline Idiopathic Cystitis- Diet advise needed.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MissDiffo, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Yeah, that's the thing about treat foods- they're like junk food for humans, much nicer :D

2. Satori

Satori Neo-Liberal Tory

Drinking more is helpful but they simply cannot make up for the lack of moisture in a proper diet. Their urine volume will just not be high enough. Dry food and urinary tract diseases just go hand in hand unfortunately. It is a bugga to get them on a proper diet (been there) but it has to be done.

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am dealing with this issue too with my cat Milo....and even Hills or Royal canin themselves advise using the wet food formulations in preference to their dry.

4. MissDiffo

MissDiffo PetForums Member

Wow! The second link is VERY helpful.I get it now.Acana is really good, one of the best dry food out there but the point is dry hasn't got enough moisture as wet food.I get it now.
    I am gonna try to give more wet food, compete type and less dry..

Thank you:)

5. sante

sante PetForums Senior

If you can feed, NO dry food and move him onto a complete wet food/raw diet. Dry food is full of carbohydrates and cats don't need or require very little carbohydrates in their diet. I know there's alot to read but Dr Sue Pearson (http://www.catinfo.org) gives some excellent advice. The choice is yours though.

#15 sante, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. sante

sante PetForums Senior

#16 sante, Jan 18, 2014
  7. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

I've been there with cystitis and agree with everyone else.

Do try raw, that does clean their teeth. My three NFC cats now eat raw and wet - and they were 10 when they first tried raw so its never too late.

8. sante

sante PetForums Senior

I just wanted add as well, the bone in raw food and the pre-mixed raw food is not dangerous in fact bone is packed full of calcium which alot of wet foods and dry food lack or have none of and the bones actually clean cats teeth :)

#18 sante, Jan 18, 2014
  9. MissDiffo

MissDiffo PetForums Member

Mind you, I did try raw but it upset their stomach :( I have just bought some Bozita which they don't like but I want to try again.I have also left way less biscuits.It has to be done gradually....but it does make sense: more wet food!

:)

10. sante

sante PetForums Senior

I agree it does take time, but the sooner he is off dry food the better for him. Increase the wet food he is on already instead of trying something he has already refused as you may find you are blowing money on food he won't touch. It doesn't matter if he is on cheap supermarket wet food, any wet food is better than dry food, Rosie did eat sheba until recently along side raw but she won't eat sheba at the moment, her choosing not mine, and will only eat chunks of raw meat which I source from the butchers or supermarket butchers with TCFeline premix in it (TCPremix Plus), not the premix raw food like natural instinct and nutriment. It's taken sometime to get to the point I am at with Rosie. Cats are fussy eaters.