Feline Idiopathic Cystitis- Diet advise needed.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MissDiffo, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Now you see, my problem is that Milo is already, and has always been, on a raw diet. He kind of settled on NI chick/beef and never really ate the variety that the others do. So now I am weaning him off NI and onto home made raw to see if that improves things.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Even on a raw diet, such as NI (which is quite dry) a cat may not be getting enough fluids, which in turn will lead to potential problems with bladder or kidneys. Though I seem to recall PP you make a *gravy* with Fortan and add it to the raw meat so it is quite sloppy? (Or am I thinking of someone else:eek:)

3. Satori

Satori ------------

That's a great point. Some of the prepared raw is in the mid to high 60's % moisture as is much butchered muscle meat whereas an average mouse will be in the 75% range. (Blood loss). I always use hot water to bring the temperature of my refrigerated meat to room temp and that brings the moisture content back into range.

4. sante

sante PetForums Senior

Sorry for this post but OP here's a bit of light reading regarding dry food: 10 Reasons Why Dry Food Is Bad for Cats & Dogs | Little Big Cat

Enjoy :)

Sorry it's taken all day for me to post this link but I am studying feline nutrition myself and have a folder full of information and it does sometimes take time to go through this especially when having a cat who requires alot of my attention (Believe me she does) to look after :)

#24 sante, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I do indeed use Fortan to add to my own home made raw and also the wild rabbit I use......but have not been doing this with Milo and the NI I will admit. I do think that his issue is very much stress based as apparently he was being bullied by Monty when out in the garden where he would normally toilet.
    It has made me question both the moisture content AND bone content of the NI though, especially if that is all a particular cat eats (and he would only eat one flavour)

6. MissDiffo

MissDiffo PetForums Member

Ohh cool!!! Thank you SOOO much!!!!

I just ordered a lot of Shesir complete food, but I'll have a better look at this and order!!
    In the meantime, both Byron and MyLady are not very happy without their biscuits and are being very difficult...but I have to be strong.It's for their own good!

7. sante

sante PetForums Senior

I noticed you're in London. If you are in Mobile Pet Foods encatchment area you can buy 2 (500g each tub) tubs of NI from as little as £4.50 or Nutriment from £2.25 per 500g tub and you can either pick it up from store (In Eltham) or for a very small fee they'll deliver it to you in a couple of days from when you order it. It just saves money otherwise if you buy direct from NI's website and Nutriments website you have to buy in bulk and if the cats won't eat it you will have wasted a fair bit of money.

8. MissDiffo

Ok I am trying to select two of the £2.50 Nutriment and is asking me as delivery option either collection at factory -which I can't or Ship by weight £100?????? :eek: I might try to call them tomorrow...

9. MissDiffo

But if I select the starter pack is only £18.Problem is I don't want it as too much...I just want to try some first!

10. sante

sante PetForums Senior

If you use mobile pet foods http://www.mobilepetfoods.co.uk/section.php/25/1/f26d64e446f61102559d64edc02b99ac there is no minimum order. If you order through NI or Nutriment direct there is a minimum order of 5kg to get it delivered for a shipping fee of £6.95 but mobile pet foods charge a small amount of shipping and no minimum order.

#30 sante, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  11. sante

sante PetForums Senior

If you can purchase through Mobile Pet Foods then you don't have to buy as much.

12. MissDiffo

....just ordered the starter pack..If they don't like it I can give it to a cat shelter :)

Finger crossed they will like it!! Thank you!!:w00t:

13. sante

sante PetForums Senior

Good luck with trying them on it. You will have delivery Tuesday if you ordered today (Yes they are very quick with shipping the food), you'll have to make some room in the freezer :)

14. MissDiffo

One last question....

How shall I introduce Nutriment to my cats?Shall I mix a little bit in their usual wet? Shall I place a little bit beside their usual wet?

They are both almost two and EXTREMELY fussy...as most cats. I did try to go down the raw feeding route before by giving them raw beef, chicken and duck fillet...but they both got Coccidia.....not sure whether food related -mine are house cats-...but I am slightly worried it might happen again.

Any advise is welcome,

MissDiffo :)

15. Satori

Satori ------------

I favour side by side on the same dish at first. Be prepared to give it several attempts before they try a nibble. People seem to give up if kitty hasn't bitten after 3 tries. It can take literally months in some cases then they'll give it a whirl out of the blue.

The Coccidia was not caused by the raw food you fed.

16. sante

sante PetForums Senior

I would favour side by side in different bowls with say the chicken flavour from their current wet food with the chicken flavour from nutriment so they can get used to the new smell/flavour. If this don't work then try mixing a very small amount of nutriment in the wet food they currently eat and slowly increase this daily. You mustn't force the food on them if they reject it, put it away and try again a few days or weeks later. Every day is a new day and therefore will be day one again with the new food. Try not to get frustrated either and understand there will be wastage (so money wasted).

Don't expect an instant liking to the food as cats are very fussy eaters and it can take months to finally accept the new food in this case nutriment.

#36 sante, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

part defrost a whole tub and then portion into much smaller tubs which you then re-freeze and can use on a daily basis. Most cats much prefer really fresh meat. warming it a little prior to serving also helps.

18. Satori

Satori ------------

To me that's the key to it. Assume the first 10 kilos is going in the bin. If you get lucky and it starts going into the cat instead just do a happy dance :D

19. MissDiffo

Ahahaha! Thank you everyone for your kind advice...I am not the most patience person...but I'll give it a go! :D

20. MissDiffo

Hello...

Well the package was shipped last night by Nutriment and was supposed to be with me today.HOWEVER, the delivery service they use messed up and *lost* my package in one of the depo and so it's gonna be delivered tomorrow morning instead :mad5:

My problem is, it has already been out for two days with tomorrow...I can store it in a cool place -they are delivering in my office- till 17.30 but then I wont be home till 20.00 and they reckon it should still be good to eat for my cats :confused: They said if when I open it is a bit soft on the outside but still hard in the middle than is still good...but that if I am not happy I can call them and they will ship a new batch...

What's your advice?