Feeding advice for Royal Python!

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Bullbreedlover, May 4, 2017.

1. Bullbreedlover

Bullbreedlover PetForums Junior

Ok

Had my male royal for about 10 years now. He is 4 and a half foot and weighed in last year around 3.8kg Im aware he is overweight due to his eating habits which i am in the process of rectifying.

For the past 10 years he has been fed nothing but frozen chicks with the odd mouse/hamster thrown in but it was rare he would eat them.

He is a consistantly good eater.......with chicks...... He was eating 2-4 per week. (I know i was over feeding and thats resulting in him being overweight) I lost a Royal python in the past due to the snake stopped eating. The vets tried force feeding her but i lost her. So i think this was my way of making sure he didnt go the same way.

Anyways.....I decided he could do with better foods to eat other then chicks. If nothing else but for the calcium. But he was VERY bad at eating mice and rats so after looking about the net i decided to try temp him onto other rodents such as gerbils, multimammates and hamsters.

After about 3 months of no chicks and me offering a rodent once a week i was loosing hope. I was braining the frozen rodents to help temp him and warming the prey up first but he still didnt seem interested. I was putting this down to the fact he was overweight and wasnt very hungry.

BUT alas he started eating! He will now eat multis, hamsters and gerbils! He is currently eating 2 a week. And yesterday he even ate a small mouse! After i brained it and rubbed a multimammate all over it but still!

My original plan was to tempt him onto mice and then rats but im not feeling very positive about the outcome.

I have found a supplier of large hamsters. They are 70grams + in size and think he would like these. They also breed guinea pigs and they do minis for around 90-150grams. I was thinking of feeding him them plus the odd chick, multi and hopefully mouse/rats in the longrun.

My question is should i bother feeding chicks at all and how often should i be feeding him? And what size prey?

I was hoping to feed him a large hamster every week but would that be enough for him? More?

Im not really sure how much and how often.

2. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

Just keep him on chicks if you like.
    Despite what you read, they're actually little different nutritionally that mice.
    I wouldn't put him on guinea pigs. They're hugely fatty and (sorry to be blunt) he is grossly overweight.

Royals really don't need to eat weekly. Once every 10 to 20 days is fine for a fat royal.
    If you do want to feed a larger food item, an adult quail would be good as they're not overly fatty.

3. Bullbreedlover

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Someone has asked me if im sure he is a male and not a female as the size would fit a female rather then male and tbh im not sure? The person said he was a male who i got him off but didnt offer any explination as to how he knew this.

I was planning on feeding him a large 70+ hamster every 7 days or so.

This is a pic of him or her

Attached Files:

4. Beth davis

Beth davis PetForums Newbie

Hi, he/she is beautiful but overweight. The most an adult royal needs to be fed is once a week. Keeping him/her on chicks is fine, multis, hamsters and gerbils are all great too so its up to you which you feed! A large hamster every seven days like you said sounds good to me, you could go longer than 7 days, maybe every 10 or so! My royal eats every 14 days, I would like to feed him every week but he will eat about 3 weeks in a row then go off eating for a month, which is annoying but every 14 days is fine, especially for a royal if they need to lose a bit of weight!

Good luck with your scaley baby! :)

5. Bullbreedlover

Well i have 2 tiny hamsters defrosting as we speak so was thinking of feeding him or her again in 14 days time. Then when the weight is down start feeding a large 70gram hamster every 10 days perhaps. Thanks for the reply

6. Beth davis

Beth davis PetForums Newbie

Brilliant! That sounds good to me :)

7. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

You can't generally assume gender based on size. One of my largest royals was in fact a very, very old male.
    Most adult (and not horrifically obese) royals can be sewed by palpation for hemipenes which can be easily felt in an adult or by probing but both require a degree of experience.
    I wouldn't worry about its gender anyway. It'll make no difference :)