Fading Puppy Syndrome??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by TheHammocks, Jul 30, 2012.

1. TheHammocks

TheHammocks PetForums Newbie

Hi

We have three 4 week old boxer puppies who were all fine until the end of last week. The biggest in the litter developed a snuffly nose and today had a slight runny eye and I noticed some blood in a stool in their room. I took him to the vet who took his temperature, checked his heart and lungs and found them all to be normal. He said that it could be fading puppy syndrome and we were to keep him away from the other 2, which we have done, much to his disgust and complaints! I did however notice some blood in the other puppies stools when we got home.

Having read up on the syndrome since getting home I would like some advice please. My concern is that I've not read of puppies at 4 weeks old suddenly coming down with this syndrome. Bandit the puppy in question has not gone off his food, happily plays with his litter mates and has continued to gain weight (as have his litter mates) which goes against everything I've read.

I was wondering if the blood in the stool is caused by them starting to have mashed down puppy food with their milk, possible change in their diet?

If anyone could give me some advice I'd be very greatful.

Many thanks :)

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I had heard of Fading puppy syndrome and new basically what happens, but not much more then that, on checking more I agree doesnt really seem to fit.
    Fading Puppy Syndrome

I must admit first thing I though of on reading the first part was some king of upper respiratory tract problem or virus.

Dont know if this is any help common illnesses and problems in pups

Dog Illnesses - An Owner's Guide
    There is severl things on here. That have the symptoms described.

Not the greatest of help I know, but saw you had no replys, but might at least give clues or things to possibly watch for in case other symptoms develope. It will bump your post anyhow and hopefully someone more knowledgable or with experience of fading puppy syndrome can offer better advice.

3. TheHammocks

TheHammocks PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your help :)

I kept Bandit in another room from his 2 litter mates last night and he hated it, he was awake every 1-2 hours :( I put him back with the others this morning and although he's still got the snuffles his eyes are clean and he's been playing with his litter mates and eating well all day. But I am still none the wiser as to what is actually wrong with him :(