Ex breeding dogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WarDoll, May 31, 2012.

1. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Many tears rehome many ex breeding bitches, BUT they prefer, maybe insist that they go to a home where there is already a 'stable' dog in residence

2. beris

beris PetForums Senior

3. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

They did say to me if they put there names to stopping it they would never get another dog out and then when finished with the studs and bitches and unsold pups would be killed (not PTS gently but killed)I know a lot of people think they should be a Charity some say they make money from the dogs they re home but Harry cost £180 they neutered him all injections sorted his teeth and transported him from Wales to Hertfordshire so not much left from£180 :thumbsup:

4. aspire5532

aspire5532 PetForums Junior

yes i do agree there are some people who breed a bitch as many times just to make a quick buck and then get rid off them very sad indeed
    how ever i have a gsd bitch that just had her last set of pups her only 2nd litter in 4 years and it was only a small litter but this is what the breeder had planned so hats of to her its so great to see that some breeders put the bitchs before the cash
    our gsd is a livley happy great girld she is fantastic with the whole family including the ducks going to be intressting when she sees the new chickens :eek6: lol

5. beris

beris PetForums Senior

I live in the same area and see and hear more.

Dog politics has had a lot of information on Many Tears

6. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I have 4 x breeding cavs here at the moment and have had several others perminantly or as fosters. Some of them have been pets that people get fed up with and sell when they have gone past their cute puppy phase and then have to go into the hell holes that are puppy farms. When they come out again they usually just slip back into home life.
    Some of them are born into it and when they come out are terrified most have never even eaten out of a bowl and i have had to feed them on the floor for a while. They are usually covered in fleas and the white bits stained yellow and the poor things stink i feel horid having to bath them when they are so scared but i have to you cant imagine the smell. The cavs (i can only really speak for them as i havent had any other breeds) usually house train really easily which always suprises me and as i have others they learn from them how to trust people.
    They make lovely pets and with patients they love life again The first ones that i had were usually 8yrs old but now they are being released at around 6yrs some that arent good mums 4yrs so rescues taking them has done some good even though we have to just take the dogs and not ask too many questions most of the time never seeing the farm they come from.
    The rescue i foster for does try to stop the puppy farming but take the dogs because otherwise they will be either starved to death or taken into a field and killed.

7. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

Its not uncommon here to rehome retired breeding dogs. But I must say the ones I know that do it ,spay or neuter first and screen the new owners just like they do with their pups. One I know keeps several retirees and even kept a dog she imported as a pup that ended up having a defect upon vet inspection. She knew the pup would be PTS if sent back to the breeder so she made arrangements that if she provided proff of the disablity and spaying her money would be refunded. The money was refunded and the dog is a happy member of the retired dogs she is now 5 yrs old and with meds is living the good life. Retired dogs also get the full run of the property during the day and all her dogs are rotated into the house so all are house trained and socialized. There is a good way to do things and a not good way.

8. lindr76

lindr76 PetForums Junior

My rescue ex breeder Fudgie,now sadly at the bridge,completely opened my eyes to what these dogs go through,she was a total inspiration to me and the reason I started my own website,You can read her story on there ;) I also had a tattoo done of rainbow bridge with a boxer sat waiting next to it as a tribute to her <3 she was an Angel long before she left this world. One day I hope to run a rescue centre solely dedicated to rehabilitating and rehoming ex breeders as a legacy to my beautiful girl ;) if you've ever owned one I'm sure you'll understand why I would want to do so too xx

9. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I have a rescue ex breeding dog (cavalier) called Annie from Many Tears. I have had her 3.5 years. Happy sweet little dog without a nasty bone in her body. My daughter and I collected her Dec 2008. What a terrified little scap huddled with her head down shaking with fear. She stunk. We both cried. We took her home and had to hand feed her. Took a couple of months to house train her. After 3.5 years will not lower her head into a bowl of water and is still very skittish and nervous. Always thinks any quick movement is going to cause her harm. Loves going for walks from day one but just walks right behind me!
    It is disgusting the way these poor creatures are forced to live and breed knee deep in crap starving, freezing cold in winter boiling hot in the summer with no medical help never a kind word. They are licensed by the welsh council and RSPCA. Up until a few years ago farmers were given grants to open them!!:eek6: I cannot understand how anyone would breed puppies without getting any pleasure from them, besides keeping animals in these conditions. If puppies were bred for human consumption there would be much stricter control on the conditions they are kept in. Places should be burned down.:mad2:
    I have had 2 different kittens in the last few years and Annie has "fed" them both!

Attached Files:

10. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Breeze is an ex-breeding dog, we bought her from the breeder as opposed to going through rescue. She cost £1.50, the change from an £8.50 bag of dog food we bought to start her off on. The previous owner is definitely no longer breeding so I don't feel too bitter about those few bits of change.
    Apart from brooms (think she's been hit with them), men with boots (think she's been kicked by them) and loud noises (the kennels used rattle cans to scare the dogs into not barking) I think she's fairly confident for an ex-breeder. Still noise and broom phobic but doesn't bat an eyelid at my dad or OH's heavy workboots anymore. Still nervous of sudden movements too and if you touch her when she's nearly asleep she bolts. She also doesn't like being on the lead as she was seldom walked before we got her but loves offlead walks and is a smart, trainable little dog. We did have to be very patient with her in terms of general adaptation to living in a house as she was a real fish out of water, LOTS of scary things around. There are sometimes overnight accidents but she normally tries to let us know! Otherwise she's an absolute joy.

I'd definitely consider another ex-breeder in the future, those labs on ManyTears' site with their grey faces and bellies on the floor break my heart :(
    How people can be so wicked to dogs astonishes me, they're not machines!

#20 Thorne, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012