Emergency vets?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nettles, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Do emergency vets cover bank hols? OH has been ringing for 45mins and there's no answer :confused:

2. Animallover26

Animallover26 Human to a irresistible bundle of black fluff.

3. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

they should have an on-call the 'phone switches over to - & a standby operator to reach the DVM / MD / whoever.

4. Matrod

Matrod Slave to a pair of OAP's

Yes they do, they're open 24 hours a day. Hope everything is ok.

Jobeth and leashedForLife like this.
  5. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Absolutely should do. Should be 24/7/365
    Hope all is ok......

6. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Our emergency vet is only open when our normal vet is closed, so yes they should be open over the holiday.

Worried now hope things are OK

leashedForLife likes this.
  7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

What's up with Pheebs?

8. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Out of hours vets are open 24/7......

Hope all is ok.......?

9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

They should be, but if there is only one vet on and they have an urgent op come in then I think they'll not be able to answer the phone, hope everything is ok.

10. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Yes.
    Is your vet part of a group? Do they have more than one surgery? If so you could try calling one of the alternative surgery numbers and see if you have any luck.

Hope all is ok

11. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

Yes, they will, that's the whole point of them.

I hope all is ok?

If you're getting no answer and have a genuine emergency, just go & hammer on the door when you get there!

12. clairesdogs

clairesdogs PetForums Member

Try calling another number in case they haven't diverted the phones. Hope you get through soon!

13. WillowT

WillowT PetForums Senior

Hope phoebe is ok

14. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

If you can't get hold of your own out of hours vet try any other one in the area. Hope everything is OK, will check back later.

15. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Thanks all. They answered just after I posted the thread. Sorry, didn't mean to worry you all.

We're just home... but without answers.

Phoebe was drinking a lot more than usual this evening and then I noticed her whole back end was soaking wet. Pee was just pouring out of her constantly like a tap and she didn't even notice. It seemed as though she was drinking and it was just flooding straight back out again.

The vet was totally baffled and doesn't know what's causing it. They've checked her kidney function, electrolyte levels, white blood cells etc etc etc all seem ok and no signs of infection. Her urine is very dilute so not being concentrated in the kidneys and she's slightly dehydrated. She's not sure if she's drinking more to compensate for the excessive peeing, or if she's peeing more because of the excessive drinking. One possibility she mentioned was salt toxicity. She was at the beach and swimming in the sea this afternoon. She said if she's swallowed a lot of seawater, her kidneys could be struggling to flush out the salt, but there was no evidence in the bloods or urine to confirm that for definite. If it is that, it should hopefully resolve itself as quickly as it started.

They were going to keep her in on a drip and monitor her intake and output.. but because she's so anxious, they decided it was best to send her home and not cause her anymore stress. We have to measure her water intake and let her out to the toilet every hour to try and keep her bladder as empty as possible so no sleep for me tonight. Then back to the vets again tomorrow for more tests.

I'm really, really hoping our own vets is open tomorrow as urine problems are excluded from her insurance policy and tonight has already cost us an arm and a leg :confused:

16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh bless her, she's really had some bad luck. Let's hope it's just sea water and she sorts herself out quickly. You're both going to be shattered tomorrow but I would have thought some sleep would do her more good, if she can.
    Lots of vibes sent.

Nettles and leashedForLife like this.
  17. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

Oh bless her! And you! You're going to be knackered. Fingers crossed it sorts itself out.

Nettles and leashedForLife like this.
  18. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Thank you. It's just one thing after another for my poor girl :( She's exhausted, and I feel awful for wakening her to go out to the loo.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's something easily resolved as I've stupidly been googling some of the other possibilities the vet mentioned and they all sound very scary :confused:

Thank you. This is one of the few nights my insomnia will actually be beneficial ;)

19. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Hope Phoebe is better this morning ....certainly sounds like urinary incontinence from taking in sea water .....take fresh water down to the beach with you so that if she gets thirsty she has something to drink ....other than sea water .....and watch out if they are 'biting' at the waves or catching toys in the sea as this causes them to take in extra salt water accidently .... I have always had to watch my Labs for this when they were young. Makes them quite sick (as their bodies try to get rid of the salt).

J

20. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Let's hope it's something simple like a salt OD!

Re: insurance, depending on the cause it may still be worth doing a claim if it's not as a direct result of a urinary tract issue (which it sounds like it's not if her urine results were clear)

How are you both this morning besides tired?