Ear Mites

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MominsMummy, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MominsMummy

MominsMummy PetForums Member

I took my 3 month kitten into the vet today... He had been scratching his ears all night and i woke up i saw little brown bits on my sheets where he sleeps... i rang the vet straight away as i was going to book him in for vaccinations anyway, they gave me a appointment straight away.

He was checked and the vet said he has ear mites so he gave him some drops (Canaural) and gave him some flea treatment as he said that would help too.

How has he caught ear mites? Hes an indoor cat... Can they be harmful to me as he sleeps on my pillow... and most important of all... Do they hurt him? :confused:

2. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

He will have had these before you got him. They take a long time to establish to the point that their ears are all gunked up.

Frontline should kill earmites and you should clean his ears out with damp cotton wool to make him more comfortable. Also use the canaural for extra measure.

Im sure I read on the internet somewhere that they can be passed on to humans, but very rare. They are more of an irritation to your cat than anything else.

#2 Ang2, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. MominsMummy

Thank you for the quick reply... i was worried about where he caught them from as he is an indoor cat and the only pet at home.

Well since the vet put in the canaural he was scratching his ear much more but i noticed much more of the gunk falling out which is good... im thinking of getting some special ear wipes from p@h instead of cotton wool.

Also the vet gave him his vaccinations and applied the flea treatment too... isnt that going to sting or irritate at the site where the needle penetrated his skin?

4. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

Frontline doesn't treat earmites , Stronghold does though :) And Advocate (i think !)

5. MominsMummy

I dont know what brand the vet gave him but he said hes given him something that will kill the mites and fleas (which he doesnt have! :cool:)

6. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

Aren't they like worms? The cats are somewhat born with the ear mite eggs in their ears already? Quite possibly wrong on that one.

Mine had them.
    The vet didn't seem too concerned and gave me some drops. They hated the drops, but as the other poster said, clean their ears (they'll hate it to be careful) with cotton wool (or a cotton bud if they stay still a lot).

As for how they caught them, I can't help on that I'm afraid.
    Did you not ask the vet?

7. MominsMummy

No i didnt but iv got another appointment in 3 weeks for his 2nd vaccination and il be sure to ask

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Given the state of your baby when you got him - and where you got him from - I'd say he definitely had them before he crossed your threshold. This poor wee boy has been totally in the wars. Thank goodness he has you being so vigilant and acting promptly when you see something unusual. :)

Both Stronghold and Advocate spot-ons kill off, and prevent, ear-mites. We use Advocate at Moggy Towers but both get good reviews from forum members.

9. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I have just been reading about them "feline ear mites are tiny, crablike insects, related to spiders". :eek:

The book is "Your Cat" - Elizabeth M Hopkins, I got mine from Amazon.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Just to ease your mind a little maybe, I rescued a Persian cat many many years ago now and he had a very bad infestation of ear mites, he was given Canaural
    and it was very affective. It contains anti biotic, anti fungal and also an anti inflammatory as well as killing the mites, so it should soon soothe them and settle them down if he has any discomfort.

11. MominsMummy

Very reassuring... Thank you! :)

12. MominsMummy

;) Im a worry wart... Always have been... Always will be.... :D

13. MominsMummy

OMG related to spiders! :eek: crabs in my Babys ears... I could cry :'-(

14. catposts

catposts PetForums Junior

He will indeed most likely arrived with the beasties inside his ears. Most mite infestations in kittens are transferred from Mum to kittens and from kitten to kitten ie littermates. Stronghold or Avocate kill the mites as the adult mites feed on blood containing the drug which in turn kills them.
    Both products also contain anti-flea medication that enters the oil layer in the skin so that when a flea comes in to contact with the skin it is kills almost immediately.
    Canaural effectively drowns the mites by blocking the pores they breath through. Combining the treatments (spot on and ointment) ensures a more rapid kill of the unwanted visitors!
    I would probably use a 'in-the-ear' cleaner (such as the ones stocked by your vet) to clean the ears as the debris created by the mites gets right down inside the ear canals.
    It is very rare (though not impossible) for owners to get ear mites from their pets so don't worry too much!

15. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

There's lots of stuff on the internet about frontline and ear mites. Here's an example:

Frontline Ear Mite Removal | eHow.com :D

16. catposts

Frontline only works topically so takes time to arrive at the location of the mites. Advocate and Stronghold are in the group of drugs called 'avermectins' (to which ivomec also belongs) and work by the mites ingesting the drug by feeding on the animal's blood. They therefore work quicker and generally more effectively, though they are more expensive.

17. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

In consideration of a post on this forum yesterday can I just remind everyone to check the contra indications re minimum age of kittens for such products. The particular kitten in question here is old enough but these are the sorts of products people could well have in the house. As has been pointed out, ear mites are often seen in kittens and Advocate is contra indicated pre 9 weeks.

18. catposts

A valid point and a good reason to get your cat checked by your vet. They are always best to advise you

19. franana

franana PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Please can somebody advise me, my cat has had ear mites for 3 months now. I treated her for two months with OTC ear drops and Thornit which helped tremendously but didn't eliminate the problem. I took her to the vet 3 weeks ago who gave me Stronghold, saying it would be all I needed. I gave her a treatment immediately, but she gave herself bald ears again so I gave her another dose of Stronghold yesterday. She is still scratching her ears so I have started giving her ear drops again. I don't know what to do, the vet said Stronghold is a one dose treatment for ear mites. This has been a horrible battle and quite frankly my cat and I have had enough of the little critters! Any help appreciated!

#19 franana, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  20. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Slightly warm a little baby oil and pour into the ears. Make sure only slightly warm and test this on the inside of your wrist as the ears are sensitive and you could easily burn them. Leave the oil for 24 hours and then use cotton pads to clean them out. Repeat the process every couple of days to completely eliminate.