Dry Dog food whats the best out there ? ................

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by garryd, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm doing the same with my mastiff pup though she's on wainwrights :) she just finished the turkey and rice one so now she's on the salmon one :) Gives them good variety.

2. victoriaj

victoriaj PetForums Member

especially with the clocks going back its now dragging even more!!
    i think it will be trial and error as i have figured by reading lots of posts on here that what is one dogs meat is another dogs poison ... if she doesn't take to the whites i will hopefully find one that she does take to that is made from natural ingredients and will benefit her

3. popsy

popsy PetForums Newbie

I just find it all a bit confusing as everyone - absolutely every pet food - declares their ingredients are "natural". Anything can be 'natural' - there's no legal definition, so you just have to read the label really carefully.

My favourite ingredient, which always makes me lol is grape pomace: basically means the pips and stalks of grapes....or tomato pomace - skin and stalks.

I'd just like to see a bit of transparency so it makes it easier to choose a pet food.

Maybe price is a good indicator...my sister feeds her lab on something that looks very posh on the outside - and is 15.00 for a 15kg bag. But at least its honest enough to declare that the ingredients are preserved in BHA and BHV which most dry foods have in... (illegal in the US). BTW Her dog looks terrible and is very smelly!

4. KenDoddsDadsDog

KenDoddsDadsDog PetForums Member

Price isn't really a very good indicator.
    For example, Skinners Maintenance is only £15 for 15kg, whereas Bakers is £24 for 15kg. And Pedigree is around £28!

5. jessejazza

jessejazza PetForums Junior

It's BHT and BHA preservatives that were believed to be responsible for cancer and that is why it was banned in the US.

6. jessejazza

jessejazza PetForums Junior

Skinners maintenance is chicken meat content which is cheaper. One of my dogs is allergic to chicken so he's on their Working 23 as it's beef based. When i visited their factory i feel that they have produced quality food compared with the larger concerns who charge more due to higher overheads.

7. KenDoddsDadsDog

KenDoddsDadsDog PetForums Member

We swap between Maintenance and their Duck & Rice each mealtime. Just to give her a bit of variety really.

8. AmyWithey

AmyWithey PetForums Junior

I think it would be cruel to stick them on the same flavour, i'm going to get the salmon one from james wellbeloved it wasnt there when i bought him the other ones but he loves tuna so i think he will like it.

9. dadan

dadan PetForums Newbie

A really cheap way of feeding is on chicken carcusses, although you do need to find a supplier first, we get a box for £5, and there is loads of meat on them, this feeds my six dogs for 3 days (3 BC's, 2 GSD'S and a GSD X BC). The other days in the week they have Burns complete food. I know lots of people say you shouldn't mix food in this way. All my dogs are fit and healthy and live to a good age, remaining fit up to the end, so I am happy with it. They also never have stomach upsets.

10. oldDoubletrouble

Your diet sounds great to me.
    Wouldn't mind the chicken carcusses myself!
    Burns is a supurb food, Just thought I'd mention Arden Grange is pretty good too and a fair bit cheaper a bag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.