Dry Dog food whats the best out there ? ................

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by garryd, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shazza1969

shazza1969 PetForums Junior

What I don't like is a lot of these food companies including Skinners JWB etc if you look at their analysis it does not add up to 100% so what else are they putting in the food that they don't tell us?? I have asked this question with many food companies and they cannot give me an answer!

2. stigDarley

stigDarley PetForums Senior

Supa dog has EU permitted Colourants I wouldn't reccomend anything with colourants eu permitted or not!!!! The next range up doesn't have colourants! If you want a £15 bag of dog food there are options without colourants!!!!

3. stigDarley

No Its made at golden acres, Burgess only make there own food!!!

4. stigDarley

Burns is again totally made at golden Acres, along with Arden grange Wainwrights, iams and many many more!

5. stigDarley

It's evil stuff full of E numbers and Sugar, Which will give your dog no end of probs. 7 out of 10 dogs have to see the Vet with Diet Related probs.... it doesn't have to be expensive. But Variety is important. Your dog on the inside is the same as a wolf. In the wild a wolf wouldn't eat the same food every day and in turn the food sorces would eat the same things. So a wolf would get a good variety to help keep its gut working. You wouldn't live on beans on toast for the rest of your life without expecting to get sick. It's really the same for your dog!

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Good advice but you really shouldn't mess with a dogs diet too much :)

7. Wills1

Wills1 PetForums Newbie

StigDarley - tried Nature's Diet, gave up after numerous times struggling to get lid off and having to resort to penknife after several minutes frustration, sometimes resulting in blood being spilled!!

Nature's Harvest Puppy seems excellent - fresh chicken 71%, brown rice 17%, peas, carrots, herbs, salmon oil, seaweed, vits, mins, glucosamine, chondroitin.
    Use this mostly for eve feed, 0.74p per tray, and use the Wainwrights for variety, where the ingredients are fresh lamb (min 65%) lamb liver (min 5%) brown rice (ditto), mins, vits, seaweed, chicory root. With antioxidant EEC additives (the bad bit I guess, so thanks for getting me to scrutinize the labels with a fine toothcomb). As someone else said, it's the remaining 20% or so that makes you wonder. But the Nature's Diet seems superb, don't see how you could get much better than that. Seems not too bad a price either, tho more expensive than complete - but surely worth it.

Don't have the freezer space to store the nuggets, that's why I go for the Prize Choice mince blocks, which stack neatly in small space. Add Keeper's mix for extra vits/mins that meal, plus Garlic tabs and salmon oil ditto.

Useful to have petshop owner's inside info, cheers

#907 Wills1, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Wills don't give up on ND too easily I too have given up on trying to rip the lids off and now just cut into it with a knife. My lot love it though and I can really see the difference in them :)

9. Wills1

Wills1 PetForums Newbie

:D OK, we do have 2 of the fish/potato ones lurking in the feedbin, so will try again, get the axe to 'em instead of letting them fester in the bin :wink:

Lot of night owls on here, just off to let the boys out for a last pee, think it might freeze in mid-stream tonight, a la Scott of the Antarctic ...

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

LOL mine went out and had a lot of fun playing in the snow. Stupid dogs :rolleyes: :D

11. Wills1

Wills1 PetForums Newbie

EXCUSE ME - JAMES - you are TOTALLY out of order, and your aggressive, holier than thou arrogant attitude beggars belief. A keyboard warrior poster like you brings an otherwise interesting, friendly forum right down, so I perhaps I won't bother coming on here any more.

1.Yes you patronising -, I have read this thread and spent some time trying to be HELPFUL to others; and I have not tried to change anyone's opinion - UNLIKE YOU. Merely pointed out alternate views in other posts elsewhere on this forum.

2. I was not wrong to post the links I did as I thought other members would find them interesting if they hadn't already seen. The one you criticize is on THIS FORUM written BY SOMEONE ELSE. The other one was, I pointed out, perhaps more balanced and objective, the clear implication being that the first one wasn't. Seems to me you haven't bothered to read that, or chose to selectively ignore my qualifying comments. My comment re USA based members here is clearly because of the USA related material in that article, and YOU cannot possibly know how many US based members read this INTERNET forum.

3. I will ask my dogs' breeders of 30 years' standing which professional journal the vets' survey was in; the views re bloat/dry complete is also the view of my own vets of 35 years' standing.

4. If I wasn't interested in this subject/thread, why would I have spent hours reading it and posting several times on it? Doh.

5. Can't remember what else you had a go about, and quite frankly at this time of the am cba to be bothered with you further.
    Suggest you go take a long hard look at yourself and your (ahem, sorry :D) dogmatic, fight-picking attitude - yes, go on, read right back - YOU picked the fight with ME. I don't pick fights, life is too short and I like a peaceful existence.

#911 Wills1, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  12. rsturdy

rsturdy PetForums Member

No matter what food you choose some one seems to have had a negative experience with it! I found it a nightmare trying to choose a food for my beagle pup as a first time dog owner. We finally found something that suits Maisy and that I am happy to feed her as the quality seems good, and thats Arden grange dry with some wet in the evening. To be honest as long as there isn't crap in the food and it suits the dog then that should be how every one picks the best food for them!
    I couldn't believe what some of the foods you find in supermarkets contain! But each to their own I think most people are just unaware of what is in the food - I know my sister was until I enlightened her!! :eek:

13. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

Sorry, you're right on Golden Acres making Burns and Arden Grange, along with most pet shop own brands, but not Wainwrights - that's made by a small producer in Norfolk, I believe (although their name escapes me)
    Just to set the record straight!

At the end of the day, pet food has to be made somewhere, and if a modern facility like Golden Acres, with hygeinic modern plant and equipment can do the job does it really matter? Having said that, of course in buying into the story of a brand like James Wellbeloved, Burns or Arden Grange you sort of expect them to be manufacturing themselves, rather than farming it out!
    :p

14. rsturdy

rsturdy PetForums Member

I agree some one has got to make the food! I would imagine that it is cheaper to contract it out and yes that might not be the best idea but it is a business at the end of the day and is about profit! I had a quick look on the Golden Acres website and just because they produce different brands doesnt mean that Adren Grange/Burns don't get a say in what is in their food?!

15. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

its james1. :blush:

16. trophy-sussex

trophy-sussex PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    Would just like to let you know about Trophy Pet Foods. Superior quality and the content of their meat and rice is the best out there yet. Also have a hollistic range of dry food and tins.

17. tashi

tashi Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Think it is time that this thread was closed.

To be honest I think that you should feed what suits your dog the best

I have 12 dogs here and they are fed what suits them the best for coat, condition and what suits their stomachs ;)

One of the eldest is on what alot of you would term a 'crap' food but she is active, covered, good firm stools, lovely coat and condition but, if I changed her to one of the foods considered to be the best she gets hyper, drops her coat, and worst of all dismantles her kennel.

I have 7 different feeds in my feed store and not all are from the same producer I find what suits my individual dog and then stick to it :smile5:

We all have differing opinions on foods and how to feed and for anyone who was looking for advice as a first time owner I feel this thread would just confuse them.

canuckjill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.