Dry Dog food whats the best out there ? ................

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by garryd, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessejazza

jessejazza PetForums Junior

I've heard poor things about Iams. JWB and Burns seem to be the best dry food.

I feed mine on a natural diet as i don't like the quantity of 'poo' from dry complete. Don't forget to give your dog a marrow bone each week to keep teeth clean and gums healthy - free from most butchers!

2. Roo

Roo PetForums Member

Does anyone remember the press coverage a few years ago about Iams & the barbaric way they test the food on animals? Morrisey, from the Smiths, led a huge campaign about it trying to get it off the shelves. Based on that alone, I would never ever touch the stuff.:angry:

3. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I must admit it wasn't the food I planned on feeding him, I think I will be spending my day off today researching the best kinds of food for him!

4. noushka05

noushka05 Leftie Extremist/Eco-Warrior

yes theres been a few threads on Iams recently, i wouldnt touch it either!!

5. noushka05

i agree with Nonnie, its full of junk,sugar & artificial additives

i use Arden grange its a good dry food & they dont test on animals :thumbsup:

6. They paying you as well now Noush??:D:D
    Did you order more!!
    lol
    DT

7. noushka05

yes im on commission:thumbsup: lol

no im full.... ive not got the room!!!:cryin::cryin:

8. I have my Nature diet coming friday! but don't think I can resist that!

Hope he is not discontinuing Noush!!!
    lol
    DT

9. noushka05

me too:eek:

10. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

One of the problems dog owners have now is that there is so much choice :eek:

If you don't want to feed a cheap food which contains bi-products etc then there are plenty of alternatives - whether you spend £40+ for 15kg of Burns or less than £30 for one of the alternative natural foods around then you should find something that suits, and remember that what suits one dog may not be best for yours!

The Pets at Home website is a great place to gather information as it's so well set out - and check out their own Wainwrights brand which really is good (I have used it in the past and found it equally as good as Burns which I used to feed and so much cheaper)

These days I feed Whites Premium which is also natural, excellent and economical, but you might also want to check out the natural dog food company and the many other smaller companies who are entering the natural food market.

But at the end of the day '000s of dogs have done very well on cheap and cheerful Pedigree and 'own brand' supermarket food, so I'm guessing the dog's digestion is fairly tolerant!

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar was and still is hyper, but on Bakers he had a complete personality change. My other dog had tummy problems on it.

12. siobhan17

siobhan17 PetForums Newbie

Hi I've just called Burns Contact Us
    and spoken to the Nutrition Dept there, who are extremely helpful and have recommended Burns Fish and Brown rice for my westie who has skin iritation .... might be worth a try ..

13. Roo

Roo PetForums Member

That's interesting that Burns say this. I was recently told that Westies have an intolerance to all grains and this manifests itself in poor coat, skin problems, ear infections etc. I was told that they fare much better on a diet where the main ingredients are Fish & Potato.
    Anybody else heard this?

14. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Are the Natural Dog Food Company any good?

15. smiithy1

smiithy1 PetForums Newbie

royal cannon is the best about i have tryed hundreds of food over the years and found this to be the best allround

16. jessejazza

jessejazza PetForums Junior

Royal Canin? and darned expensive.

At the end of the day - not much wrong with plain meat [sourced from local butcher] and mixer/biscuit.

As for dry complete - i couldn't agree more... difficult to choose from such a vast array.

17. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

They might have been before they were taken over by Mars. There have been lots of complaints recently as they "tweek" the formulas

18. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Well I used to give Zeus just dry on it's own and after a while of doing that he had a few stomach problems, so my sister suggested getting some meat so it's not so dry, so I got some Butchers and now he's fine.

So more then likely that's how the puppy will be brought up. Just need to find the Dry Food.

I've tried Pedigree Better By Nature, and Zeus' stomach didn't agree with it.

I have read good thing about the Natural Dog Company food on this forum. But I've seen James Well Beloved alot, is this any good? I don't want to be spending stupid amounts of money on Dry Food though.

19. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

James wellbeloved is good food, I found zeb was really windy and had very soft poo's on it. He would stink aswell and i mean really stink so changed him to arden grange for dry and its brilliant. lovely poops and hardly ever farts or if he does they dont smell

20. LabWorld

LabWorld PetForums Junior

I would stick with James Wellbeloved. Excellent quality food. Some of the cheaper foods are packed with fillers with no nutritional value whatsoever. I agree, it is pricey but you really do get what you pay for in my humble opinion. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.