UK Pet Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dry Dog food whats the best out there ? ................

433K views 916 replies 265 participants last post by  tashi 
G
#1 ·
Whats the best dry dog food out there??? any thoughts?? i am feeding my dog james wellbeloved wich is good but dear to buy:(what do you feed your dog and why !?? and how much is it !?

G
#477 ·
I'm intrigued to know who the 'experts' are who rate Orijen so highly - I remain a sceptic based upon (if nothing else) its protein content which seems far too high for a dry food, based upon the many years experience that pet food companies, not to mention AAFCO in the US have built up over the last few decades.
John Burns has shown over thelast 20 years that a low protein food can help in may common health problems of dogs, and resarch by (I think) Purina has beacked this up scientifically

:confused:
Great post! I would certainly be concerned regarding the protien levels, I am aware that there i vast difference between the quality of proteins! but these levels just ring bells for me! I'll stick with my arden grange me finks!

#478 ·
What about dogs that are fed a barf diet, that's very high in protein and very low in carbs, there are barf feeders that use Orijen as a back up if they for some reason can't feed barf, I'm thinking if they are on a camping holiday and can't have the raw food chilled properly. If I had to change I would go back to Burns but I hope that it won't become necessary.

Terri

#479 ·
James wellbeloved , its a complete food and good for all breeds, it appears expensive but you wont have to feed as much as you would the tinned meat to get all the nutrition. my vets recommended it to me and iv had no problems since!

#480 ·
food and feeding is a personal and preferential thing.

i tried to research all the foods and my mind just turned to mush.

mine was on RC from the breeder and he seems to like it and do well on it.

thinking of trying aukurtay tho as it seems to have decent ingredients and is a whole lot cheaper, 39.99 for two 15kg sacks.

#481 ·
food and feeding is a personal and preferential thing.

i tried to research all the foods and my mind just turned to mush.

mine was on RC from the breeder and he seems to like it and do well on it.

thinking of trying aukurtay tho as it seems to have decent ingredients and is a whole lot cheaper, 39.99 for two 15kg sacks.
just wondering where you are getting autarky at that price from ? i want to feed my dogs and puppy on it after alot of research :D

#482 ·
What about dogs that are fed a barf diet, that's very high in protein and very low in carbs, there are barf feeders that use Orijen as a back up if they for some reason can't feed barf, I'm thinking if they are on a camping holiday
I wouldn't class myself as a barf feeder but i do feed a natural diet. I'd just feed tinned food for that time away. Problem with dry complete is switching their digestion over to a food that takes 8-10 hrs to go through compared with 3-4 hrs on a natural diet.

#483 ·
I wouldn't class myself as a barf feeder but i do feed a natural diet. I'd just feed tinned food for that time away. Problem with dry complete is switching their digestion over to a food that takes 8-10 hrs to go through compared with 3-4 hrs on a natural diet.
I'm only saying what barf feeders that I know and ones on other forums I'm a member of have said, what tinned food do you feed.

Terri

#484 ·
I give mine Royal Canin but it's not the main food, it's just a back up to the other stuff that I give them... raw chicken wings, raw lamb bones, raw mince, cooked foods (leftovers) such as pasta bolognaise, hotpot, sunday roast dinner leftovers.

I wouldn't have mine on just dry food alone, imagine eating dry toast every day :rolleyes: thats what it's like for them, it's a very unnatural diet and is bound to be pretty boring.

There are so many dry foods to choose from and even though I give it as a back up, I wouldn't recommend it as a main food source. Think back to the good old days when the family dogs ate nothing but leftover table scraps and the odd raw bone from the butchers, they were healthier, lived longer and most likely a lot happier.

#485 ·
I'm only saying what barf feeders that I know and ones on other forums I'm a member of have said, what tinned food do you feed.
Terri
I don't feed either dog tinned - there on plain meat, biscuit and gnawing bones to keep their teeth clean. If i was going away camping for a week i might feed tinned or buy supermarket mince for that time.

Tinned used to be good and easily obtainable. I tried butcher's, pedigree and chappie on my saluki cross when i first had her and have to say that she didn't keep weight on. Goodness knows what they put in any commercial food now but i'll stick plain pet mince meat from the local butcher with biscuit. 20p per bag [3lbs]. Not that cost is a consideration to me but the fact that i know what is in it.

#488 ·
I think if you feed a super premium food such as James Wellbeloved you get great results from them, great shiny coats, great teeth, less waste produced, you don't get runny tummies! So i think if you weigh up the cost of feeding it is well worth the price.

Work out a daily costing on how long a sack lasts you and i think you will be pleasantly surprised at the economical price of it.

I feed iams to my pup and a 15 kg sack lasts him about a 5/6 weeks so the daily cost works out at less than £1 !!! I think that is very reasonable for a 5 month old gsd!

G
#493 ·
ok no problem,seen it at 42.25 which is pretty good ;)
I just got two sacks of Orijen for £80 at zooplus (thats 27 kilos of food) - the normal price is like £83 (well the normal discounted price at the moment I should say) and then you get an extra 5% off for orders above £75...
I think its a good deal ;)
Ive calculated it that with Orijen feeding my 15 months old SBT should cost MAX £5 a week :thumbup:

#497 ·
Hi

My two - a lab (about 35kg too fat!) and a mongrel (15kg hound type!) have been on Orijen for ages but I think I'm overfeeding them. I've just got a new internet rescue dog - an English Setter (23.3kg) and I want to switch him to Orijen too although I'm scared he will get too hyper. He is also on meds for anaemia as he was abandoned for a long time in Southern Italy.

I've read all the posts on this thread (!) and it seems you Orijen users feed a lot less than the packet says. Can you let me know how much you DO feed?

Thanks!
Fiona
www.petsinitaly.com

#498 ·
I've never measured out the amount of Orijen I give my pair, I just look at it and think ''that'll do the fat wee oik ( Abby )'', I give Arran a wee bit more as he's bigger and is more active than Abby. Abby came to me a couple of kilo's overweight and she is now nearing a decent weight for a sheltie. I do know a lot of people who think that you should reduce what it says on a packet of dog food by 25% and that does seem to keep their dogs in good condition.

Terri

#499 ·
Hi

My two - a lab (about 35kg too fat!) and a mongrel (15kg hound type!) have been on Orijen for ages but I think I'm overfeeding them. I've just got a new internet rescue dog - an English Setter (23.3kg) and I want to switch him to Orijen too although I'm scared he will get too hyper. He is also on meds for anaemia as he was abandoned for a long time in Southern Italy.

I've read all the posts on this thread (!) and it seems you Orijen users feed a lot less than the packet says. Can you let me know how much you DO feed?

Thanks!
Fiona
Pets in Italy
I feed slightly less than on the packet except for my springer who is fed the amount for active dog - he is out working a lot and needs the energy. As for being hyper, I have a rescue spaniel cross breed who was very hyper when we got her but has calmed down a lot and is fed Orijen. I would say start at the lowest end of the feeding guide and increse if they get to skinny.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.