Dry Dog food whats the best out there ? ................

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by garryd, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessejazza

jessejazza PetForums Junior

For the dog's health i'd stay with plain fresh meat and mixer. Cheaper and i know exactly what is in their food. Have a quick read on my last post.

2. Kelsey

Kelsey PetForums Junior

I think it depends alot on what suits the dog - the dog is bound to have the final say! I don't know much about raw feeding that lots of people have mentioned, but I know the nutrient levels and calorific values would have to be thought out to ensure a balanced diet is given. I would worry about bones and how they could cause injury and what comes out the other end too!! My two are quite happy on their complete Arden Grange anyway. :)

3. crawfom

crawfom PetForums Newbie

I've found a brilliant new food called joe jacks. You can get it through their website - called joesnaturalpetstore - and my lab has never looked healthier. I have also just found out that they sell their wet food through Tesco, but don't understand why the dry isn't there as well. This is great as I can get extra trays when I forget to order:)

4. Camsie84

Camsie84 PetForums Member

A very lovely lady at Arden Grange sent me some samples for Ted - have been slowly introducing them to his food, and so far so good!!

5. Mortlach

Mortlach PetForums Newbie

So what's the opinion on the muesli type cereals?

6. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

I used to feed Vitalin muesli type food to a previous dog and he did reasonably well on it, though to be honest I'm not sure he actually loved the food (!) but I think there are differences between these and the extruded foods and it's down to digestibility - muesli foods tend to be wheat based and wheat is not as digestible as cereals such as rice or maize, and I believe that the cooking and extruding process also makes the carbohydrate and protein more digestible.
    As a result you generally have to feed more muesli food and get more poo out the other end!

7. AlexGSD

AlexGSD PetForums Newbie

I would always say that Burns was the best however expensive. I have now started using Wainwirghts and my GSD's seem to love it and they look very healthy on it.

8. kazza1964

kazza1964 PetForums Junior

I have been changing all my dogs food to try to get them on the same one as I had 5 dogs on 4 different foods, I have at last got one that agrees with them all - Skinners Muesli & cheap too which comes in handy with 2 large breeds & 2 giant breeds that are still growing :thumbup:

9. swiss

swiss PetForums Newbie

Just weighing in with my two euros... bought a sack of Beta yesterday... chicken flavour IIRC. The furry lil' git wolfed down a huge bowlful then had hiccups for half an hour. Seems she likes it :)

10. fosse

fosse Banned

There isn't a good dry food in my opinion. :eek:

I feed all mine a prey model raw diet.

11. Danielle_Bee

Danielle_Bee PetForums Newbie

I have a collie,she wont even touch the dry food,when we mix it in she spits them out of the bowl.currently feeding her pedigree but have tried some different ones like shops own brand,do you think we should keep trying other kinds?Surely it cant be healthy for her just eating the jellied stuff!!

12. rona

rona Guest

Why don't you try nature diet it is a wet food and is a complete diet.
    No need for hard bits :D:D

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My lot have Red Mills greyhound food. They do different ones for racing a convalesing greyhounds which mine have. The 3 pups also have minced lambs hearts which they have raw mixed in with their dried food

14. Danielle_Bee

Danielle_Bee PetForums Newbie

Thanks, I will give it a go :)
    shes a very fussy eater, so ill get back to you!!
    xx

15. Daddydog

Daddydog PetForums Junior

Hi again..

dont know if this helps, but before we got our "spuddy" I was frantic on reading up on what to feed him, and came across many many dog experts on youtube talking about doggy nutrition and what goes into various foods..

The one thing they all had in common, I found, was to avoid anything that had "derivatives" in it, and when I then checked various food types, and had a look at the ingredients on them closely, pedigree came out as having (What I consider) to be some of the cheapest, inedible ingredients, and contained derivatives, instead of actual "meal" (meaning meat from what I learned)

since we bought spuddy home in Nov 08, he was on Nutro puppy, but used to do a #2 up to 6 times a day, and never anything solid either, and we got him onto Burns food 4 months ago and within just a few weeks, his #2's went down to 2 or 3 a day, and all are now consistent too, and at more regular times.

In fact, our spuddy has lost some weight since being on the burns food, even though we now give him a Kong every day too, he's dropped about a kilo in 12 weeks....

Have to start feeding him fried mars bars soon if he lose's any more :lol:

16. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

"meat meal" as it is called is not what it sounds like:eek:there was a thread on here recently which stated that it was in fact,in some cases,the carcassess of animals,including those that had been pts,(dogs and cats)including bags,collers etc!!! dont know how true this is:eek::

17. Spudlover

Spudlover PetForums Member

aaah, that's disgusting!

18. jessejazza

I've phoned Pedigree to find out what they put in the tin and they weren't very helpful... just said meat. If you have the ingredients i'd be grateful. I've been feeding mine on it for a few weeks but i'm not wanting to continue with it for long. I started feeding them butcher's pet mince but my greyhound after a couple of weeks decided she didn't like it. Then she wouldn't eat Chappie [seems to have a lot of maize in it which i don't like], which she had been eating happily before.

I have two re-homed dogs and wanted to get them onto prey model feeding but the lurcher doesn't like bones. For the moment i'm giving them tinned meat and mixer.

I thought a live prey model feeding might 'break the yoke'... pop into a pet shop and buy a rabbit or two and see how they get on!:lol:

19. jessejazza

Well... yes but i wanted to know where pedigree actually got there's from. All you get on the phone is someone who has been brainwashed into what to say - they don't know what is actually in the food.

I've seen that advert for an e-book before. Why sell an e-book? Burns claim to have additive free canned food - why do they not say buy pure mince from a butcher [it'll be cheaper!].

From what i can work out one will not get any real truthful answer to the ingredients. Chappie always used to be one of the ones that Vets recommended but that has got a lot of stuff like maize. A lot of the dry complete food uses beet pulp - what nutrition for a dog does beet pulp have.

I would be grateful if the member can say what is in Pedigree... that is what i dare to give my two dogs when i can't get the butcher's mince.

20. baillieswells

baillieswells PetForums Junior

I feed mine Fish4Dogs Working. Protein is primarily from Salmon. Treen my eight month old Border Terrier loves it. It is worth remembering that food that is labelled for Working Dogs is VAT free. This doesn't mean that it is of a lower quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.