Dry Dog food whats the best out there ? ................

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by garryd, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ

AJ Guest

Nutro is a reasonable quality food, still a low meat content though and some ingredients known to cause allergies, better than most you see on the shelves though!

Im not sure how commercial food manufacturers can claim to provide a "complete" meal when they have such low meat contents, dogs are carnivores!!!

2. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

hey :) i would say almo holistic or eagle pack as they contain no crap and they do dry and wet food
    look on my useful links page theres a great online shop its really good.

good luck with your new puppy :)

3. cleevale

cleevale PetForums Junior

I have just started stocking 1st Choice and Pronature, both offer a range of dried dog food to suit small and large breeds, wheat intolerant, hypo-allergenic, weight control, senior and less active, etc.

4. rona3579

rona3579 PetForums Newbie

I feed my three Pro-Plan It is exspensive but they love it.

5. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

I'm sure that the food is perfectly wholesome, but I do question Pedigree's marketing of this as a 'natural' food when you look at what is in it. I don't classify BHA, BHT as natural and most other companies that sell natural dog foods wouldn't touch those chemicals with a barge pole!

Pet Food Choice - Pedigree Better By Nature reviewed

Personally I've been using the new Pets at Home food and think it's great

6. HandsOnPaws

HandsOnPaws PetForums Member

You are so right about the pedigree. It isn't better by nature, its full of rubbish, and something like 2% veg :rolleyes: Once you learn how to read pet food labels properly, you will realise there are only a few foods that actually are any good.

Anyone ever read this?
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/petextras/PFStext

Compare the ingredients of burns chicken and rice
    Brown Rice (min 63%), Chicken(min 20%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil,Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins

to Proplan chicken
    Chicken (20%), Rice (15%), Maize, Dehydrated poultry protein, Maize gluten, Wheat, Animal fat (protected by mixed tocopherols), Digest, Beet pulp, Fish oil, Dried egg, Yeast, Calcium phosphate, Potassium chloride, Sodium chloride, Calcium carbonate, Minerals.

Notice how maize appears twice, again as maize gluten? Thats just maize but they can call it that so it doesn't appear to be full of it on the ingredient list. Beet pulp? The number one bulker outer :confused: the waste from sweet factories, nice and sweet to get your dog hooked on the sugar.

Where's the contest? All it takes is a little bit of education and effort to make sure you get the best food.

IMO, if i ever ever desperatly had to, id use Luaths, from Land of holistic pets

Land of Holistic Pets Ltd Dog Food

7. tootsiesmum

tootsiesmum PetForums Member

thanks Hands on Paws - I have just received some samples of the Luath dog food that you mentioned to try Tootsie on. Will give it to her tomorrow and see if she likes it.:p

8. Laurel-Amy

Laurel-Amy PetForums Junior

To be honest I feed my dog pets at home own brand for 8.99, its a great food which hollie loves and she wolfs every last bit of it down, has put weight on for her seeing as though she was quite skinny when we got her and its nutritionally balanced :D

9. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Pets at home own brand seems to be quite good,i have bought the kitten and cat food before.

10. lyndragon

lyndragon PetForums Newbie

i have been advised to ween my puppies on james beloved they really love it .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.