Drought?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Jonescat, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Anyone else noticed how dry everywhere is? We have been out looking for all our usual favourites and realised the water is really low.The river where we saw kingfishers mating last year is now just a few inches deep and the kingfishers are nowhere to be seen, presumably on a different river. The watervoles' holes are now several inches, maybe a foot above the water, and our favourite wood - huge, mixed, ancient - is dry with cracked surfaces to the tracks. Normally, even in June, you wear wellies there as it has some very wet bits, but normal shoes are fine now. It should be knee deep mud in places :( Not many buttercups out yet either although I may be a bit early.

Is it just us?

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

No, it's ok here. We've had fairly regular rain except for the last two weeks so there was enough for dry but not drought.

Jonescat likes this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

It was very dry in suffolk when we were there, no rain at all for quite some time apparently. Here in gloucestershire it has been a lot drier then normal I would say. We went for a walk round a bit of the water park at Ashton Keynes and it's very noticeable that the footpaths and bridleways are very dried up, normally, due to the horses and the high water table, the paths are churned up and muddy.

However I'm fully expecting the heavens to open the moment May comes along. We are off to Ireland in the motorhome for all of May

Lurcherlad and Jonescat like this.
  4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yep, it's not rained here in weeks. Like, at all. My water butt has been empty for about a fortnight too which hasn't happened in a veeeeery long time!

Jonescat likes this.
  5. rona

rona Missing my boy

I think most Spawn that hatched in puddles are now no more :(

It's so dry the nettles are wilting, the grass has almost stopped growing and there dust clouds...........

sarybeagle likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

No rain here for ages, apart from a bit of drizzle early the other morning I think.

I'm keeping the birds' water dishes and baths full and having to water potted plants more than normal for this time of year. Also re-hydrating mealworms for the bird table, although the Robins and other parent birds seem to be finding enough natural grubs, etc.

The pond levels have dropped an inch or two.

I hope we get a good downpour soon.

7. Matrod

Matrod Slave to a pair of OAP's

Apart from one shower we haven't had rain for ages, all the water butts are nearly empty, the pond & water gardens are slowly going down. I'm making sure all the bird baths are fully topped up everyday, they're getting such a lot of use.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

We had a little rain this morning

9. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

No rain in weeks. As in proper pour down.
    I'm having to water everything and fill the bird water up daily.
    It was 23c before Easter week, it's been about 15c ever since and dry. But with freezing cold nights?!
    It was a rather dry winter from what i recall here. (Surrey)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It's raining!

:)