Doris duck

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by damian121, Feb 12, 2012.

1. damian121

damian121 PetForums Newbie

Doris, our mallard, has very runny poo - almost always liquid as opposed to the expected solid consistency. No experience with ducks. Rescued when abandoned as a 2 day old chick now approaching 12 months.Happily co habiting with two labradors! Watches telly and baths in the kitchen sink of an evening. Vet has not been much help.

Can anyone offer some advice? Eats standard duck food, dried mealworms, lettuce and loves worming in the garden so diet varied. Spends day on her own pond.

Thanks.

2. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I would google an avian vet in your area.

3. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

I like the sound of Doris! Is this a recent problem? Also, is the lettuce bought from a supermarket? If so, it might be best to avoid it because of the pesticide residues on it.

4. damian121

damian121 PetForums Newbie

Thanks. Had not thought of that as a possibility. Interestingly, all was firm until the first egg arrived since then runny.

5. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

As the problem started when Doris started laying eggs, perhaps she needs more calcium? You can buy general grit for this or, I think crushed oyster shells are considered to be of superior quality.