Dogs wont tie?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by ~Tete, Jun 27, 2009.

1. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

Hi all, im new, I'm Steph and I have a 3yr old pregnant springer (4wks pregnant)
    I'm asking this for a friend who is breeding golden retreivers, they are around eachother 24/7, and the male is having a good go and getting it, but they dont tie, this is day 12 of her being in heat & is her first litter. The stud is proven but the bitch bigger then him(hes a bit smaller then her) Any ideas why they wont tie / what they can do?

2. cdcclub

cdcclub PetForums Member

I am sure someone more experienced will be able to answer your question as I can only go on my own experience here.

My own girl had a similar experience she was a maiden bitch. Stud was proven. We took her up on the correct dates and she wouldn't even look at him. But as my mentor stated every dog is different. eventually after a few trips up she let him near her and he managed to enter her but still no tie so on the advice again from mentor just brought her back a few times and eventually she managed to tie twice with him.

Dogs can still release sperm without a tie though so would still treat the bitch as though pregnant if no tie ever happens until a vet performs blood test or ultrasound to confirm an unsuccessful mating.

As I said this is from my own experience there are loads of people on here that have a wealth of knowledge that should be around with more information.

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Agree with above, they may not physically tie, but there is still every chance the bitch will take.

I haven't bred a litter yet, just done the research. The tie is created when the bitches muscles contract around the end of the penis, so for some reason (and your friend may never know why) this isn't happening, and you're getting slip matings. The lack of a tie could be to do with either the bitch or the dog, although if he's quite a bit shorter, he perhaps isn't penetrating deeply enough for her muscles to hold him in place firmly?? Who knows??

Hope everything goes well for you both, that you have smooth whelpings with your girls and healthy pups.

4. riajayne

riajayne PetForums Newbie

Hi guys. This is actually my dog that Steph is referring to. I had some advice from a friend yesterday to keep them apart all nite and then let them try this morning. They did and they tied for only a minute.

Milo is getting his roger rabbit all the way out and bless him he is trying. Maybe shes not ready yet so will keep trying.:001_tt2:

5. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

this is called a slip mating.....where the bitch is not swelling to hold him in. You can still have puppies in this way thou;)

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Do you mean ending up back to back (bum to bum), my chihuahua's mated but didnt end up back to back, and she still got pregnant. Milo is the same size as Teigan and he was on her all the time but never once did they stick back to back. xx

7. riajayne

well Milo was only on Miley for around 30 seconds, 1 minute at the most

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If she is standing then she must be ready even if they are not tying. A dog and bitch that live together are far harder to get to mate though.

9. riajayne

Yeah she was standing for him just not tieing. He has just had a successful tie with my other springer so i cant really see what the problem was between them.

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Unfortunately, that isn't necessarily true Blitz, the standing bit equals ready, bitches can stand at a different time to the optimum for fertilisation in their cycle, and they can appear completely unready when in actual fact they are at the prime time.

Just curious, why do you think its harder to get a dog and bitch that live together to mate? I've not heard of that being the case before, in fact all the people I know who keep entire bitches and dogs have a helluva routine to keep them apart when the girls are in season?