UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Dogs and ponds

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  El Cid 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had this experience?
We have a small pond in the back garden, this time of year it's a bit slimy and has a lot of pond weed on it.
Our 10 month old Border Terrier has liked to drink out of the pond since we have had her (she fell in just once when small, now she knows how far to lean over) with no ill effect.
However this morning she had a drink from the pond and dragged out a piece of decaying lily to play with until we noticed and substituted something else. And on her walk after lunch she passed a very soft green poo, almost like a green diahhorea.
She is fine, full of beans and eating well.
She was spayed five days ago so it could be a residue of anaesthetic I suppose?
We are considering having the pond removed but it is a haven for frogs, toads and newts all of which coexist quite happily with the pup.
Any thoughts or advice?
Many thanks

#3 ·
I'd personally stop her drinking out of it - at certain times of the year when there's a fair bit of rain it should keep fairly fresh but when it's dry it quickly goes stagnant

Just think of all those frogs etc pooping / weeing in it ......

Also, you don't want her to start drinking from puddles etc when you're out on walks so, far safer to stop her drinking from anywhere apart from her water bowl

#5 ·
I bought an Oase pump and filter for my pond and it keeps the water crystal clear.

Jack does occasionally drink from it, with no ill effects.

Please don't get rid of the pond, especially if you say it is full of wildlife. Frogs, toads and newts will return to the pond they were born in, year after year and it is a valuable resource for all the local wildlife.

If the newts are Great Crested it is illegal to disturb them btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.