Dog walking and self employment

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by sandpiper1809, Sep 14, 2012.

1. sandpiper1809

sandpiper1809 PetForums Newbie

Can any long-standing dog walkers please advise on the procedure for registering with HMRC as self employed. I dont anticipate to earn much in my first year but do I need to still pay NI contributions etc
    Any help on this matter would be most appreciated

2. WarFlyball

WarFlyball PetForums Member

You can register on their website - you used to get 3 months grace to register but I'm pretty sure you don't get this anymore. The NI contributions aren't much at all, and you can either pay monthly by dd or as a lump sum...

3. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

You'll need to register as self employed on the self assessment system and then complete a tax return every year.

4. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

You need to register as soon as you make your first sale, although someone on this forum went to a course with the HMRC and was recommended to register as soon as they advertised. The sooner the better because then you can start claiming your expenses, probably why they recommend to do it when you register.

With NI you have to fill in a small earnings form I think, to show you won't be paying it for a while. Can't remember what it is, but the website is very good, and if you can get to one of their courses that's better. Businesslink is a good site too, clearer than HMRC in many ways!

5. Aliscone

Aliscone PetForums Newbie

Hi I have just registered my business on Monday. What I did was ask at my local job centre who pointed me in the direction of my local business enterprise, who did it all online for me. It seems like it wouldn't have been to hard to do myself online at their website. You do not hear from them for about 3 months after registering and then you will receive a bill for the 3 months backdated. About £12 a month NI. They were also very helpful in explaining filling out Tax Return and when that would be.

Hope that helps, I've now just started advertising and feel slighly terrified :)

6. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

Hi, If you expect your earnings to be below their freshold
    I think it is around £5,000 then you can apply for a small
    earners certficate so you dont pay NI.Over £7,000 profit
    a year you will start paying tax
    Im opting now to volunteer to pay
    NI so I get a full pension:) Hope this helps!

7. BananaBassett

BananaBassett PetForums Senior

I'm sorry i don't have the answer but thank you for asking this question, it's been beneficial to me and i'm sure it will help lots more to come!
    thanks also to the others who have offered their advice and knowledge on this.