Dog ice lollies.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by slakey, May 24, 2010.

1. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Seeing as the weather is getting mighty hot, thought why not make a thread to help those who can't think of a way to keep their dogs cool, other then making sure plenty of water is down.

So thought may as well write down what people can give their dogs to eat in the form of a ice lolly.

At the minute, I've got frozen carrots down.

I suppose you could put some wet dog food into an ice lolly maker, and stick them in the freezer too...

Any other ideas?

2. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I freeze the kong....cool and keeps him amused longer!

Last yr I put one of his small bowls in the freezer with some water and some of his normal food in.....kept him busy for ages!

3. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

I suppose you could also use the blender and blend things like Apples, Carrots etc and put the blended mixture into the lolly makers.

4. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

banana mashed and frozen ither in kong or around his puppy rubber chew bone...

sometimes i add milk and freeze it into cubes.

i always leave it out of freezer for 30mins before he gets it

5. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Sardines in the tins, could also be worth a shot.

6. PedigreeUK

PedigreeUK PetForums Member

Great idea for a thread.

My dog loves crunching plain ice cubes - even in winter!

Janet

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I make beef stock ice cubes in a lolly mould (just without the stick but I suppose you could use one of those red/green//brown etc crumbly chews). I would make chicken as its cheaper, but I've got a chicken intollerant dog.

8. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

For the stick you could possibly use one of the Antos dog chews... Now there's an idea, something to keep them cool and clean there teeth :)

9. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

loving these idea. I have been freezing her wet food in her kong over night and letting her have that. Ice cubes go down a real treat.

10. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I put icecubes in their water they love fishing them out and playing with them :)

#10 flufffluff39, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  11. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

I sometimes put ice cubes in the water bowl, Zeus doesn't touch them unless you fish them out with your hand, then he'll take eat them from hand.

Whereas Milo, well it's just a bundle of laughter, he looks at them thinking "What the hell is that!"

Then tries to pick them up but just blows loads of bubbles, never once breathed in.
    Shall have to get a video sometime.

I'm also on the look out for a paddling pool or sandbox to get Milo used to water.

12. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Argos have these in pink or blue Buy Chad Valley Apple Sand and Water Pit. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

13. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Hmm I'm not too sure if that's big enough/shallow enough for my two :p

14. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

I came online today specifically to start a thread about iced treats for our pups! Looks like the OP beat me to it tough. Here's my 2 pennies on the topic.

We've had shoddy weather today so I've had lots of time on my hands to make treats for Dante. I didn't bother getting any special ice trays or lolly pop holders etc. Just used my normal ice cube tray for everything.

(No need for blender, although if you have one, it might make things easier for bigger batches.) I'm not going to put quantity down because obviously that depends on how much you're making. Just use your own judgement :)

Ingredients: Banana, apple, peanut butter, low fat probiotic yoghurt.

Peel the banana and apple. Slice into chunks and put in a large bowl together with yoghurt and peanut butter. Grab a potato masher (yep) and mash away while safe in the thought that you'll probably lose about a kilo after this.
    Once mixture is fairly smooth. (small chunks is fine.) Pour into ice cube tray and freeze for an hour.
    You can also put it into a kong toy, wrap it up in cling film and freeze that.

Keep in mind that fruit will oxidise in the fridge so you don't want to keep these around for more than about 2 or 3 days in there.

Dante LOVED them. I didn't pour the mixture into a Kong as there was no cling film around, but once it's frozen you can pop the cubes into a kong and just give that to your dog. Kept him occupied for a little bit.

One warning to any dog owners here whom, like me, spoil their dogs just a tiny bit. I was in the store yesterday and grabbed a few bottles of 'Innocen't smoothie' on special offer. When i got home after walking Dante and saw how hot he was, I went to grab some of the smoothie to freeze into treats for him. Now, the bottle says 'Banana and strawberry' so obviously I didn't think when I bought it that there was anything but bananas and strawberries in there. When i went to pour it into the ice cube tray I saw on the back that the juice base they use for that particular smoothie is actually grape. Big NO NO for dogs! Thank God I saw that in time. Hopefully no one else will make that mistake! On the bright side the smoothie tasted great!

For those of you with a garden and walk-in freezers:

Kool Dogz Treat Maker!

A few months ago I did manage to find a UK online stockist for this thing but I seem to have lose the link. I'm sure a dig on google will be fruitful for anyone who's interested.

15. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Fab thread - I was running out of ideas. I was really stupid last night. I knew Tanya had used gravy, so I decided to make loliies in their kongs - d'oh. I put the gravy and some kibble in the kongs and placed them in a shallow dish to freeze - how could I have forgotten there is ahole at the bottom of the kong! :eek: :lol:

16. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

just be aware apple pips are toxic to dogs

found this out myself this evning

17. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Woah I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing!

Another thing about ice cubes for those of you who've been putting them in water bowls.

If you have a road refresher bowl, you can slip the ice cubes under the little floating tray. Water will be nice and cold for your pup and they won't play with the bowl!

18. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

i made a lolly yesterday...and it failed, miserably.

i got a cup, and a cardboard loo roll tube thing, and lined the inside of the roll with cling film. then i put it in the cup to hold it upright, and poured gravey into the clingfilm in the roll, dropped in some cheese chunks, popped it in the freezer and went sun bathing :cool:

went back, hadn't even nearly started to freeze.
    popped back three hours later. will leave over night.

i think the high salt content will prevent freezing :rolleyes:

19. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

LMAO what are you like :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Bought my 2 a small bag of raw carrots, skinned them and washed, put back into the bag and into the freezer, they had them later on once they were slightly frozen, seemed to like them too.

I'll probably get them a can of sardines in tomato sauce tomo to freeze, if the weather's the same as today.