dog grooming using garden building

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by GALSY, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Lydia Jackson

Lydia Jackson PetForums Newbie

Hi Galsy,

Just to say thank you so much for posting the details of your planning enquiry. I too am looking to set up as a part time groomer from home and your email has really helped, thank you. I am going to get submitting my application straight away!

One thing I am struggling to get my head around is business rates. I know most businesses from home are excempt from this but there seems to be a grey area around if you have clients visiting your home. I plan to start off part time with no more than 3 dogs and just two days a week as I have another job. I may offer a pick up service but would think some clients would drop off their dogs. Does anyone know if I would need to pay business rates because clients are visiting my house or where I can enquire about this?

Thanks,
    Lydia

2. Adriana scholes

Adriana scholes PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I am looking to open my grooming business in the garden Shed which is big enough to convert it into a salon, would you be so kind to email me a copy so I can start the ball rolling.
    Regards

3. Jill crowther

Jill crowther PetForums Newbie

My husband is a newly qualified dog groomer, he would like to start grooming dogs from home to gain experience so we sent an enquiry to our local council regarding licensing and regulations. In their reply they stated that there was no licence required however there were time frames that we must adhere to, for example a small dog should take no more that 1.15hr, a medium dog up to 2hrs and a large dog maximum 3hrs. Exceeding these time frames may be classed as dog boarding!? Are these time frames actually realistic for an inexperienced groomer and has anyone ever heard of this before?? My husband is a bit confused as small dogs such as a Bichon fries or Lhasa apso would take much longer than 1.15hr
    I have attached their letter for reference.
    How should we tackle this, any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. Dj1

Dj1 PetForums Newbie

Wandered if offering a dog wash only would be of interest to any owners as I know a lot of dogs love to have a roll but the owners don't like bathing in own bath. Just an idea because I have a spare barn with water and electric already in doing nothing

5. Moley4

Moley4 PetForums Newbie

I've had permission off my housing association but any help with applying to the council would be a great help please..

6. Keri0909

Keri0909 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I am thinking of taking a big step and changing career into Grooming. I’m really looking into it first and investigating to see if I can peruse.
    First of all the courses in Scotland seem very hard to come by. I work full time so it’s looking like I will need to do this over a couple of years using annual leave.
    Did anyone else have this issue?
    Also for starting up, is it worth advertising with just bathing / drying at first until fully trained?
    I would also be looking to possibly have summer house to accommodate. I didn’t realise this would need planning permission though which is worrying. I don’t have a huge garden, but reckon I could fit a smaller summer house.
    Does anyone have an idea on how big the summer house/out house would need to be?
    Thanks xxx

7. Laurence west

Laurence west PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. New here but have done some googling and came upon this post. Very interesting and getting the kind of answers I am looking for. Is there any chance galley could also send me a copy of your planning enquiry as my partner is worried about the likelihood of getting up and running. My email is lozwest887@live.co.uk thanks in advance.
    Also does anyone have pictures of there grooming space. I have 12ft x 8ft to work with which I think is plenty.