Dog Car Drivers....Reminder

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Legshand, May 19, 2017.

1. Legshand

Legshand PetForums Member

I thought to post this as a girl 2 doors down had her 'cambelt' (timing belt) rupture or break a couple or 3 years ago, she was so lucky as she was in the slow lane of M1 & manged to steer off, she has never driven since as the result. Mine was changed last week so posting this as a reminder type post.
    If a cambelt goes on on any car thats it, everything shouts down instantly, if you have power steering, no power, no brake power nothing, if your going uphill you will come to a halt & start to roll backwards, all power to brakes has gone.
    The sudeness & unexpected onset of it if it happens just creats total confusion, worst of all is that not everyone is aware of the cambelt change neccesity, the girl I mentioned knew nothing of their existance.
    Most need changing at around 60k upwards, those who use cars for dogs can build up mileage very quickley, so, no more to say about cept its an essential service component at around 60k upwards.

#1 Legshand, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. Zaros

Zaros Pet forums Resident Evil

70-80% of all cars (probably more) have interference engines which means when the cam or timing belt fails, engine sychronisation is completely and instantaneously lost. This results in valves being driven very hard into piston heads (interference) thus damaging those piston heads, their cylinders and bending or snapping the valves themselves, camshaft/s and crankshaft.

The higher the speed at the time of cam belt failure, the more severe the damage.

Time for a new engine? :(

Cheaper to buy another car. :Facepalm

Burrowzig and Rott lover like this.
  3. Legshand

Yes thats what happened to the girls car (citreon van), but she was just glad to get away unharmed, she was shaking a bit, at the time, just talking about it, it must be the most overlooked essential maintainance in motoring.

4. Zaros

Chains are much safer than belts. At least you get some warning prior to everything going kaput. Difficult starting, engine runs lazy, misfires, shakes at idle, poor acceleration etc, etc, etc. Of course it could also just be something more simple but well worth investigating.:Watching

Rott lover likes this.
  5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Having a timing belt changed is something that I always do when I reach the required mileage, whether or not I can afford it, because I know how much it can screw up your engine. Not something to skimp out on having done IMO.

6. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

To be a little more specific is the valves slap into the pistons.Valves shot for sure rarely pistons or crank or anything under the head.You can usually get away with a new head.If you are really good and doing it yourself you can often times get away just redoing the valves.Then of course there is redoing the timing belt.Most shops as long as they are a decent shop should be letting their customers know when that should be changed as timing belts are considered wear items to be changed at certain mileage intervals.

7. Zaros

I've had the unfortunate task of rebuilding/replacing engines in the past that have suffered the chronic effects of cam belt failure. Half moons imprinted in piston heads or holes in same after the valves had snapped and the valve face/head had dropped into the cylinder/compression chamber. The piston then thrusting forcibly upwards to meet its total destruction.

But then we are talking about high speed incidences and as I originally stated; the higher the speed at the time of cam belt failure, the more severe the damage.

As for recommendations to cam belt changing intervals; they ought to make it more specific and less confusing for the uninitiated. Some garages advise 60K, some 100K and most manufacturers recommendations are completely ignored.

Just as are manufacturers oil recommendations, which just so happens to be as critical or important as a cam belt.

Rott lover likes this.
  8. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

Out of curiosity how much on average is it to cam belt changed? My car has done 40,000 so maybe somethibg i should think about in the near future.

I was actually complete clueless to this, so thanks for the heads up!

9. Rott lover

The only ones i have ever had come in were low speed.I guess i am lucky.I have only seen one come in from high speed but i expected what i saw in that one.He broke the belt at 190 mph at 9 grand.The whole engine was scrap.He snapped 3 of the 4 connecting rods.There were no tops in any of the pistons and he actually cracked the head in two.We took it off ion two separate pieces.He snapped the flywheel clean off and broke the crank in 3 peices. Plus a whole lot more i wont go into.

10. Rott lover

We always say 60 k to be on the safe side.When people ask why we suggest it so often we say we suggest oil changes at 3000 with normal oil.You dont have to do it on those intervals but why chance a blown engine and tons of dollars on something that is preventable.Then again we dont charge half what everyone else does to do the belt.

11. Zaros

And what car was that? F1, track or saloon/touring/stock car racing?

There's no road in the U.S you can legally do 190mph, and anyone who tries to achieve it wants locking away for good.

12. Rott lover

LMAO....It was a private party.He did it on the road that was what was scary.He said it was on the freeway at 2 in the morning while racing another guy he know.it was a prelude.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think it varies enormously. I have had 2 break. The first one did no damage and only cost about £40 to replace. The second one stuffed the engine. Certainly did not lose steering or brakes as the OP said! I have asked the garage for a price for changing one on one car and it was about £300. I think some of them are a huge job labour wise as naturally the car manufacturers put them in an inaccessible place. Rather like my Renault that needs a sensor replacing. It would cost more than the car is worth because it is completely inaccessible. You have to wonder what engine designers are thinking about.

Rott lover likes this.
  14. Legshand

I totaly disagree with that, if you run out of oil it does the engine in, cambelt failure is also life threatening to both the car occupants & all other vehicles nearby, as well as any pedestrians nearby, any driver with a sudden failure of all power would be in a temp state of surpise shock & fear especialy if the steering locks & no effective foot brake

#14 Legshand, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  15. Legshand

There will be a sticker somewhere under the bonnet of when it was last done, I will photo mine later (its early now), if your unsure then get it done anyway, also call your manufacturer and ask them, you might be able to buy kits on ebay,when I get my belt done I also get the belt tensioners & water pump replaced at the same time, the front of of the car has to come off to do the work, I also take a fan belt as well so they can change the whole lot at once, otherwise you might find the fan belt breaking after 10k or so & you have to pay mechi charges to have the whole front off again to do what could have been done along with cambelt change, the xtras I have mentioned are just normal things to do whilst the front of the engine isexposed for cambelt job.

16. Legshand

Some cars dont have any damage, mine would not, but car damage is the least worry when one goes, lets face it, you can replace a car but not your dog.

17. Legshand

I think its cars which are power steering dependant, but, the brakes on many cars are dependant on a power supply, which an affected car no longer has, except handbrake.

You must have a car where everything is easily accesible or it was a long time ago, I bought a kit for £244, water pump, tesioners & belt, but, I also bought a gates cambelt and that on its own was £44. I I think you might meant the 'fan' belt Blitz, a cambelt chage is a big job.
    Below is a link to step by step photos of someone doing a cambelt change, also if you type in google.......'photos, cambelt change'......you get quite a few examples, heres one,

http://www.mud-club.com/index.php?topic=65553.0

#17 Legshand, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  18. Legshand

19. Zaros

Quite evidently you've completely misinterpreted my post. Oil to an engine is very much the same as blood is to a human
    Believing oil to be just oil, people pour all sorts of spurious sh1te into their engines and usually because it's cheap.
    Oil isn't just a lubricant and coolant. In really plain, simple terms, oil contains additives that help keep the internal engine components clean. Let's say oil is made up of percentages, 70-80% oil/lubricant and the remainder additives.
    Every time you start your car, which is the worst thing you can do to an engine, particularly if the vehicle has been stood for a lengthy period of time because the cylinders are virtually dry and modern oils provide more protection from start up wear /friction, the oil starts to lubricate and the additives start to do their intended work. Additives, unlike oil, don't have a long life, and once they've been spent all you're left with is lubricant and coolant which is constantly degrading all the time your engine is in operation. The more demand on that engine the quicker the degradation progress.
    If you want your engine to be at its peak performance level, you should always use the oils recommended by the car's manufacturer.
    However, I change my oil long before the recommended oil change intervals simply because I want to provide my engines with the best levels of protection possible.

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I can assure you I know the difference! I was lucky that the car was designed sensibly and did not need the engine taken to bits to replace the belt. I was also lucky that it went when I was parking it and made such a clunk I did not try and drive it. The other one that went was going at speed and did not lose brakes or steering! I have never heard of that happening.