Dog ate half a box of after eights....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by soulful dog, Jan 27, 2013.

1. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

.... should I do anything?

He's a 32kg labrador. Box was still sealed, so I guess I should just be grateful he didn't polish of the entire box! :D

2. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I`d phone your vet now, if it were my dog.

3. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I would phone the Vet too..... After Eights are dark chocolate, aren't they?

4. CaliDog

CaliDog PetForums VIP

i would phone a vet too if it was my dog.

5. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

I personally would not worry - After Eights are mostly mint creme with a thin coating of dark chocolate, no real issue to a dog of that size - however! I would suggest you ring your vet and see what they say.

6. soulful dog

Cheers we're off to the emergency vet, to be honest I was thinking along the lines of SixStar, it's very thin coating of chocolate and not like he's eaten 150g of choc, but I guess it's better safe than sorry.

£130 just to see the vet though.....!

7. SixStar

SixStar PetForums VIP

Yes, better safe than sorry if you're concerned. Let us know how he gets on!

Why do they always do these things out of usual veterinary hours?! :rolleyes:

8. soulful dog

Thanks again to you all for posting to encourage me to go. My purse is a little lighter but hopefully that'll be my only concern! He was given something to make him sick and he brought up his dinner (which he'd had maybe 30 mins beforehand) some chocolate and some wrappers.

They initially said they'd make him sick, feed him some charcoal then put him on a drip and monitor him overnight, but when we said he's not insured they said they'd just make him sick and if he brought it all up he'd probably be ok to go home. He's a bit dozy as the stuff they gave him has morphine in it, but I'll just keep an eye on him overnight and if he's fine in the morning, we'll have had an expensive box of after eights and nothing else. Turned out to be an expensive gift someone had given me!

They never fail do they, Sunday night seems to be a favourite. Twice we've had to rush Ringo to the vet and both times it was a Sunday night....

9. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

I'm glad he's feeling better. Sam did this a few months ago with a half a large box of dark mint thorntons. He was made to be sick and didn't have any lasting after effects so I'm sure Ringo will be fine.

10. terrierist

terrierist PetForums Senior

my yorkie x jrt managed to eat a massive box of throntons choccies over xmas.
    He had awful diarrhoea for a couple of days, and was quiet..but soon bounced back.
    I didn't take him to the vet because as far as I was concerned....damage was done. he went to bed, ate chocolate....and by the time we were up next morning, sh*te was all over the kitchen.
    I starved him,made sure he drank and told him several times if he dies its his own fault (tongue in cheek there btw!!).

I am just grateful my little dog wasn't one for whom theobromine can kill (this time!) He has been caged when left ever since (he got onto kitchen worktop and pulled box down off top of a cupboard which was sat on the worktop!!!)

glad your dog ok too x