Do you think it is ok to give dog paracetamol?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by newfiesmum, Nov 21, 2010.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, might sound a daft question, but Joshua is driving me nuts. He has not stopped crying for about two hours and I think maybe his legs are hurting, but I don't have any painkillers till I go to the vet tomorrow.

A long time ago my then vet told me to give my retriever paracetamol or calpol 6+ when he had a blood clot removed from his ear. I don't have calpol.

He seems to shut up when I give him a cuddle (don't do it till he has shut up) so I am not sure. He used to have a habit of constantly crying but hasn't done so for a while now.

What do people think? Stick it out til tomorrow or not?

2. borderer

borderer Guest

is he spoilt and wanting attention

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I fairly sure its ok for dogs but NOT cats but no idea how much to give :confused1: can you ring & ask your vets emergency number or the help line on your insurance if you have one for him :) x

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Personaly I wouldnt give him Paracetamol, I did give one of my past Labs one once when she went lame... and she collapsed:eek:

Just have to cuddle all night:D hope hes soon better:)

5. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

I was told that I could give Bobby a quarter of one by the vet not that long ago and he was asleep long enough and it did him the world of good.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Do you have aspirin? I think thats better than paracetamol. That said - last year my pup got cystitis and it started up in the evening. I rang the emergency vet (because she was still v young) and he told me to give her paracetamol and bring her in the next morning if she wasnt right. I gave it to her, she was much more comfy. Took her to the vets in the morning and his partner told me I shouldnt have given it to her:scared:

7. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I wouldn't. Apparently dogs don't metabolise it like humans so the dosage has to be spot on if used. The only human painkiller I give is tramadol, and that only in an emergency.

8. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I was told Paracetamol was toxic to dogs, but they can have ibuprofen. My dogs have all had Ibuprofen over the years with no side affects :)

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

If you give aspirin or ibuprofen, feed him first (same as for us)

10. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Phone your OOH vet and ask. Dogs *can* have paracetamol/aspirin/ibuprofen BUT it should only be given on veterinary advice for that particular dog, at that particular time, for that particular condition, and the dose must be very accurate. (and cats are a nonono)

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't like the sound of that - I mean the collapsing, not the cuddle! Yes he is spoilt, but I don't think he is seeking attention. He only gets a cuddle when he shuts up. I have put him outside in case he is too warm and he has stopped now for a bit, so think I will leave it.

The only other painkillers I have are my prescription cocodomol for my back and I wouldn't want to chance that. Looks like I am in for another disturbed night!

Thanks again.

12. When Alaska broke her leg the emergancy vet told us to give her a quoter (cant spell that word) of paracetamol and that would do her until morning. So I did....she was fine off it infact she stopped crying and went to sleep while we splinted her leg.

The next day she was a little high...singing to a song which she had never done before and was in a very good mood.

I have never given it her again as when we saw the vet for the last time regarding her leg he gave us a bottle of real dog pain killers for if we needed it in future as she can still do a little to much on her leg.

Edit to add......ring a emergancy vet and ask for advice. They will tell you if they feel its safe to.

13. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Have you got any decent bones to distract him from the pain ?

14. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

If she has cried for 2 hours I doubt it's nothing, phone your vet's out of hours service. All vets have them.

Hope she's OK

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't have any bones, but I have some joint sticks someone bought me from Pets at Home. He actually asked to come in when he heard the toaster pop up so hasn't lost his appetitie! If he starts up again I will call vets, but with all the conflicting views I don't think I will chance any human painkillers.

16. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Though you meant something else when i saw joint sticks :D Well apparently its very good for arthritic pain :D might shut him up too :lol:

17. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I mentioned paracetamols to my vet a while ago and she she screwed her face up at me ...saying that, when we were kids our Lab used to get half a one when she was a bit stiff etc when she was old...i would ring your vet up and ask them.....would a hot water bottle help wrapped up in a towel...as long as he is not a chewer though

juliex

18. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Paracetamol is ok for dogs, but the trouble with paracetamol is that there is a narrow margin between the theraputic dose (ie the dose that works) and an overdose, so the dose needs to be advised by a vet on a mg/per kg body weight ratio. Aspirin or ibuprofen are much safer, and will work much better for arthritic pain; although they run risks of causing stomach upsets and stomach ulcers and so need to be given after food.

Co-codamol tablets contain 500mg paracetamol btw, plus either 8mg or 30mg of codeine.

19. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Just what I said :thumbup:

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Moderator
    Staff Member

He has had a joint stick (Rainybow, would have tried the other sort if I had it - supposed to be good for arthritis!) and he is sleeping outside now. Let's hope that keeps up when I get him in to go to bed.

Thanks for all your answers, really decided me. Even one adverse reaction in all your experiences is one too many. Also, he is a very heavy dog so easy to get the dosage wrong. I am still expecting to be woken up in the night, though.