Do i have to crate my puppy ?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Nua, May 19, 2017.

1. Nua

Nua PetForums Newbie

My 10 weeks old corgi puppy hates his crate. When inside the crate he is restless, moody and unhappy.

yesterday I let him sleep in his small playground space and he was much calmer and easy going.

Do i really have to create him to teach him not to toilet inside? Is there any other option ?

Thank you

2. Elaine2016

Elaine2016 PetForums Senior

You have to make him love his crate, treats galore / playing games, etc so as he doesn't see it as a negative place where he is shut it away from his new family.

Hes still very young so introduce this slowly and carefully, I moved mine to near the sofa so as he was close to me but in his crate so he would sleep.

personally if hes safe in the playground space I would let him sleep there and introduce him slowly to the crate over a period of time. I never shut my door but that's just personal preference.

Crates don't teach him to not toilet inside, they may help to a degree as dogs generally don't like to mess where they sleep but its you that has to toilet train him. Keep taking him outside every 30-45mins and especially after meals /waking up and playing etc and again a few times at night.

He will quickly get the hang of it and whether hes in the crate or not wont matter.

Lurcherlad, Sled dog hotel and Nua like this.
  3. Nua

Nua PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I will try to make him love his crate, and maybe spend some time there little by little.
    I also think that the crate doesn't thelp me teaching him pottying outside. when he is in the playground i hear him move and can quickly take him out. Whereas in the crate he pees and sits in his pee without making a sound or crying. I want to help him not to have those accidents but ican't help if i cant hear anything.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its entirely up to you they don't have to be crated although it can be quite useful at times. Most pups if they have never seen or been in one though don't like them at first, so you do have to introduce it properly and train them to use it and see it as a place of relaxation and security, if you just pop them in and close it or close it too soon most will hate it. As regards crate training for toilet training, crate training is only ever an aid to toilet training, the theory behind it being that a dog or pup wont soil its bed or immediate surrounding area, and most wont, however the do still need to be taken out very regularly and toilet trained as well, and if left in there too long if desperate enough will do it if they have too. If you are not sure about crate training or toilet training methods just ask.

Lurcherlad, Nua and Elaine2016 like this.
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

When pups are his age, they don't have much capacity to hold much for long periods, and they also don't always recognise the need to go far in advance, so often get caught short at this age. It all improves with growing and training and later he will be able to start going for longer and longer periods and be able to hold more so wont need to go quite so much.

Really you need to take him out about every 30/45 minutes if you can, regularly for shorter periods seem to work best as there is increased chance of catching him at the right time. Also take him out after drinking, eating, playing and sleeping as they usually need to go then too. If he does start to squat to go outside then use a word of choice as he starts, eventually they associate the word you have chosen with toileting, so later when they do you have a toilet command/cue word and they will often go pretty quickly. When his finished lots of praise and a couple of treats to reward and re-enforce that he has got it right and encourage him to repeat the next time you take him out. If he has accidents don't tell him off as it can make a lot of pups nervous about going in front of you, which hampers toilet training and some will even try to sneak off and do it out of sight. Also make sure that you clean up with a pet stain/odour remover as any smells tend to encourage repeats in the same places or rooms.
    Using pads or paper can actually confuse them too, because the paper or pads can act as cue that its the right place inside the house. I never used paper or pads with mine. If he cant go through the night yet, I used to take mine out when they woke or stirred and needed to go, but I had mine within sight and sound so I could hear them.
    Some people set an alarm once or twice, and take them out that way, it does work, but it means that sometimes you are waking them to go where naturally they would have slept on until they need to go. Make sure if you take him out in the night, you don't talk to him a lot, play with him or turn bright lights on, just out, cue word if he starts,
    a couple of words of quiet praise then he finishes and then back to bed. If you interact lots or turn bright lights on it can stimulate them more and then they are wide awake and it can be harder to get them to settle back to sleep.

Lurcherlad, Elaine2016 and Nua like this.
  6. Elaine2016

Elaine2016 PetForums Senior

Just be vigilant and keep taking him outside as often as possible, especially when he wakes up / eats plays etc.. again praise & treats - massive fuss just as he finishes his business outside not when he comes to you or walks away so as he needs to know that's why he is being praised! :) the neighbours must have thought I was bokers but you do anything to get them toilet trained again i use a cue word like 'busy busy or I say 'do you pee's' which it a life saver when ur rushing out and need them to go .

Aslong as hes safe in his play pen i wouldn't worry too much.. my dog could take or leave his crate

Lurcherlad, Nua and Sled dog hotel like this.
  7. Nua

Nua PetForums Newbie

Thank you so so much.

8. Nua

Nua PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for a detailed and very good advice.

9. WardDog92

WardDog92 PetForums Junior

My dog is now 3yr old but the first day back at home, she whined all night long in the crate, she wouldn't settle at all, no-matter how appealing I could make the create experience.

So what I did was have treats and toys in the crate and leave the door open but allow the dog to rest on the doggy bed mat situated in the hallway. She would then sleep very nicely and also use the crate on occasion and scoff all the treats in there (which were usually some doggy treats and carrots). But she wouldn't spend much time at all in the crate, instead she would take her toys out and play with them at the entrance to the crate.
    This was completely fine to me. She never chewed anything and never had any in-house accidents.

She has developed into a wonderful dog with a fantastic temperament, very well trained, very loving and family orientated. I don't believe she has suffered at all from not using a crate.

Sled dog hotel and Nagini like this.