Do dentastix work and what are the best

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Giraffe76, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Junior

Hi all,

We've been getting our 4 dogs a pack of the fresh pedigree dentastix every week for the last month or so but i was in b&m today and came across a 20 pack of dentastix (non branded) for £3.

Would these non branded dentastix be ok to give our dogs or are the pedigree ones better for them?

Also can people tell me their opinions on dentastix and whether they think they work or not please

Kind regards Mark

2. jackapoo

jackapoo PetForums Member

Hi, to be honest, i cant imagine the non branded dentastix being any different to pedigree ones, going by the ingredients in pedigree dentastix, i would say nothing of any real benefit, and do nothing for dogs teeth, so really not worth bothering with.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Pedigree ingredients
    Ingredients: Rice flour, wheat starch, glycerin, calcium carbonate, gelatin, gum arabic, cellulose powder, natural poultry flavor, sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, potassium chloride, potassium sorbate (a preservative), vitamins [choline chloride, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), folic acid], smoke flavor, turmeric, iron oxide, copper sulfate.

How is any of that going to help your dog's teeth? Raw meaty bones or good chews are far better for their teeth.

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow PetForums VIP

Dentastix is not the best thing for cleaning teeth and preventing plaque. Chicken wings ( raw) are excellent, I'm going to start my dog on them after our holiday. Currently she has Fish4Dogs seafood jerky, they're strips of baked fish skins, very crunchy and considered pretty good for cleaning. I also use Plaque Off in her food, and I must say her teeth look pretty good, apart from being a bit fishy her breath smells fine.
    She ha multiple dental extractions just before we got her from rescue in January, so I'm pretty keen to keep her remaining teeth in good condition,

5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Really? You have NO idea about me.

6. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

They are full if rubbish and do nothing for teeth.

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Our dog had these as treats all her life, she's now 15 and I can't honestly say they have done a thing for her teeth.:frown2:

8. Giraffe76

Giraffe76 PetForums Junior

Thank you everyone for your replies and information. I think im going to stop buying them

9. Chyuu

Chyuu PetForums Junior

We have given various products like these to our dogs and I really don't feel like they work very well. I have started brushing their teeth and even with that, one of them needs to get a teeth cleaning procedure done by the vet. :/
    I would say that they don't have much of a benefit.

10. victoria171168

victoria171168 PetForums Senior

Raw bones are the best for cleaning teeth. dentasticks are rubbish

11. wee man

wee man PetForums Member

Yep, raw meaty bones are best or chicken carcus/wings.

Dentasticks are full of unnecessary rubbish and only add to the daily food intake of your dog!!

Where does a wild dog walk about with a tooth brush and toothpaste, you won't go far wrong with fresh natural bones and chicken carcuses!

12. VickynHolly

VickynHolly PetForums VIP

Holly has Plaque Off on her food. She also has chicken wings/drumsticks and treats that she has to chew on.

13. max2001

max2001 PetForums Junior

i brush with enzymatic toothpaste once a day but also give a raw bone (on recommendation fron the kind pple here - either a pork rib, beef rib, lamb breast - i went to morrissons :)) once a week and dried venison sinew, turkey/duck/chicken necks, fish4dogs skinny strips, venison trachea as a chew and reward after brushing. Until now they have remained sparkly white :)

14. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills PetForums VIP

That's when the cameras aren't on!

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine get Dentastix Fresh, Pedigree Joint Care stick things, and Wonky Chomps, purely due to the fact that they are a consistency that my toothless boy can handle, plus he's old, like a chew, but doesnt like to make the effort anymore.

I dont for a second believe they do a dogs dental hygiene any favours. They are a treat, pure and simple.

16. rona

rona Alfie's Slave

Saw my vet last week, my boy is heading towards 12 and she asked me if I cleaned his teeth because they are so good........I said no,he just has a carrot a day :)

Far better than anything Pedigree market ;)