Do cats feel the cold?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Biawhiska, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

I ask because I know some cats spend their nights outdoors even when it's realy cold. My Moggy wants to be in the cat run when it's freezing outside and hates it when I bring her in. So cuz they have nice warm fur do they not get as cold as I think they must?

2. FluffyCoonz

FluffyCoonz Guest

I would have thought they feel cold although my 3 eldest coonies will sit out in the run in all weathers! My moggie boy never wants to come indoors although my 2 girl moggies are straight on top of the radiators as soon as the weather goes below 20 degrees!

I guess we should remember that they essentially came from wild animals and are therefore used to the cold....although I am still adding extra cushions and blankets to the runs, just in case!!!

3. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Well yes my siamese have about a million blankets etc at present but the mogs just seem to get on with it. They are all sat in the cold conservatory at the moment. I went in there and it's blinking freezing! :eek:

4. FluffyCoonz

FluffyCoonz Guest

My moggie all sleep in the conservatory at night and I have got them the igloo type beds and they are pushed up against the radiators...still cold though although I haven't got a fur coat!

5. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

only when i put them in the freezer....

6. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

My conservatory doesn't have a radiator :( They do all have heat pads and hot water bottles. They can come into the dining room at night to sleep but they stay in the freezing conservatory!!! I think I may stock up on some igloo beds. Though my lot are so silly they end up squashing them down and sleeping on top of them! :rolleyes:

7. FluffyCoonz

FluffyCoonz Guest

Mine do exactly the same normally but they have taken a liking to these ones....they were only about £12 from our garden center so I think I got a bit of a bargain there! If we had ours indoors at night, they would end up all over the kids beds and I don't think that would be the best idea!!! We normally put an extra oil filled radiator out there for when it gets really cold :eek:

8. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

lmfao...:D

9. mattyh

mattyh Banned

My cats are mental, they want to be out in the snow!

10. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I wondered about this. Mine have been in with me for most of the day as it is cold and rainy outside.

With the cost of heating increasing so much I haven't had my heating on yet and just put an extra jumper on. I am at work all day but I do feel a bit guilty about the cats being in a cold house. They have plenty of beds to snuggle up in and there are eight of them so maybe they will keep each other warm?

I don't want to be a nasty, cruel slave but I can't really afford to leave the heating on all day either.

11. bee112

bee112 PetForums VIP

I dont know if my cats feel the cold! But they are fluffy, chubby Ragdolls so I doubt it! lol

12. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

A cats normal temperature is around 103 degrees and they have a fur coat too - they love heat but don't mind cold as much as we think they do as theyre alot hotter blooded than we are xx

i just put on my thermal dressing gown and go sit in a room - if im boiling in that then i know they will be too lol xx

and LOL at putting them in freezer - i'm sure they'd leave you with a few painful memories if you tried it :p :D xx